PDA

View Full Version : Tired Of Arguing With Ignorant, Dogmatic Nitwits

MMMMMM
07-16-2005, 04:28 PM
That is all. Forever. Thank you very much. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ACPlayer
07-16-2005, 04:36 PM
I too am tired of dogmatic nitwits.

However, in the last thread where I tangled with a nitwit, I may have seen a chink of light entering said nitwits "brain". So I shall keep trucking.

I choose to bear the cross, the decision is not taken lightly. Perhaps seventy virgins await me in my martyrdom.

MMMMMM
07-16-2005, 05:08 PM
I don't think you could handle seventy virgins.

ACPlayer
07-16-2005, 05:10 PM
I have an open mind. I would give it a good try.

Dead
07-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Good.

Maybe you taking some time off would be a good idea.

Imagine if you took all the time that you spent on 2+2 and put that into exercise. You would put a new man, MMMMMM. I might not like you very much, but I don't want you to die either.

Think about it.

MMMMMM
07-16-2005, 05:42 PM
Thank you, Dead.

John Cole
07-16-2005, 09:58 PM
I don't think I could handle one virgin.

MMMMMM
07-16-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I could handle one virgin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, John, I am sure you have read the old saying, and I daresay it seems applicable here:

"If Ned never tries, Ned never does".

John Cole
07-16-2005, 11:42 PM
M, here's a line from Spencer Tracy in Bad Day at Black Rock that may come in handy: "You're not only wrong; you're wrong at the top of your voice."

DVaut1
07-17-2005, 12:03 AM
I like you MMMMMM. You treat everyone with respect, at least from what I've seen. That's highly admirable. I know I often fail at treating everyone with the dignity they deserve. Not only that, you're posts are coherent, contain thought, etc. Combine that with your respectful nature and I think you're a great poster.

That having been said, I think you should tone down your expectations. It sounds like you're frustrated about your inability to persuade others. I've seen empirical evidence that showed political persuasion is nearly impossible. This isn't to say you shouldn't try to persuade; but I wouldn't let it bother you if you fail (at least I wouldn't let it bother me).

So, I think you should stick around. Maybe there's some hidden sarcasm in your OP that I missed and you plan on sticking around anyway. In that case, ignore this.

MMMMMM
07-17-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
M, here's a line from Spencer Tracy in Bad Day at Black Rock that may come in handy: "You're not only wrong; you're wrong at the top of your voice."

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, John, and yes they are.

What baffles me is how wrong they can be about things they know virtually nothing about, yet maintain such impregnable confidence in the veracity of their assertions.

For instance, ACPlayer indisputably knows much more about Islam than do numerous imams who have lived, breathed and studied it their entire lives.

Other examples need not be mentioned, but I thought that one should be, since he has announced he is going for the seventy virgins.

MMMMMM
07-17-2005, 12:14 AM
Thank you, DVaut1.

There's no sarcasm intended in my original post, but posters who have been here longer know that I have not always been known to keep my own resolutions.

I guess the moral of that is, try harder.

ACPlayer
07-17-2005, 12:20 AM
Good post. I too like him and enjoy having him around.

Expecting to change anyone's mind in this forum (that is an internet forum) should not be the objective of the exercise of posting. The important thing to understand is that almost all the time both sides are ~48% right and both sides are ~48% wrong in their positions.

I use the forum to help refine my ideas and learn a few things along the way. I enjoy opposing viewpoints, although most of the time they are exactly what I would say if I was arguing that side of the debate (which I could for practically every subject we have debated).

As in international politics, the higher you ratchet up the rehetoric on public forums the less the message gets through to the reader.

ACPlayer
07-17-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For instance, ACPlayer indisputably knows much more about Islam than do numerous imams who have lived, breathed and studied it their entire lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad you recognize that. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Arnfinn Madsen
07-17-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I might not like you very much, but I don't want you to die either.

[/ QUOTE ]

MMMMMM,
Dead shows love/hate-feelings towards you, a sign that your presence is appreciated /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

MMMMMM
07-17-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad you recognize that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed; and I'm glad you think it is 70 virgins rather than 72. That way, John and I can each have one.

dsm
07-17-2005, 12:52 AM
Hi M,

Since around 1989, when I first started posting here, I've wondered if your original posting name M (one M) came from the Fritz Lang movie "M" (1931)?

http://www.moviepostershop.com/item_img/mov1443.jpg

-dsm

AngryCola
07-17-2005, 12:59 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/AngryCola/frontpage.jpg

Arnfinn Madsen
07-17-2005, 01:02 AM
/images/graemlins/smile.gifPOTW

bobman0330
07-17-2005, 01:23 AM
Awesome

MMMMMM