PDA

View Full Version : Folded worst hand on river. Should I have raised?

aflaba temp
07-16-2005, 03:25 PM
CO is TAG
SB is TAG
MP is unknown

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, MP calls.

Flop: (8 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, CO folds, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, SB calls.

River: (8.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds, MP folds.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Since I played it like I had a small flush I think it is resonable to think that he made a bet-fold move on the river. I don't know what to put him on though. AQ maybe?

spoohunter
07-16-2005, 03:33 PM
Well... you've considered every option but the right one. You'll think of it soon.

etizzle
07-16-2005, 04:45 PM
1.call
2.raise
3.fold

aflaba temp
07-16-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1.call
2.raise
3.fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Darn.
Raise ahead of fold I can see.
But call? I don't see what I beat.

The Truth
07-16-2005, 04:59 PM
fold is by far the worst of the 3 options, and i dont like raising.. its clearly a call.

etizzle
07-16-2005, 05:00 PM
yes it looks like you are beat, which is why you should call and not raise.

You are not beat &gt;90% of the time here without a read on the SB, not even close.

Maybe 60%.

NLSoldier
07-16-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1.call

2.raise

3.fold

[/ QUOTE ]

aflaba temp
07-16-2005, 05:20 PM
Damn. It seems to be uninanomous(?). Next time I'll try eine, miney, moe...

ChewyMint
07-16-2005, 06:34 PM
Yikes! Definately an easy call. I may lose value based on my reasoning at times, but this is a typical "It's possible I have the best hand, no better hand is going to fold to a raise, and it's only 1 bet to call" situation. Folding makes zero sense with no read, and raising has no value, and can get you in trouble.

ChewyMint

ggbman
07-16-2005, 06:38 PM
This call is easy because this can often be a desperation bet hoping you missed your flush, not a value bet from a better hand.

Jeffage
07-16-2005, 06:52 PM
This is an easy call even though you will be beat much of the time. Someone who missed their flush but made a pair may decide to bet b/c they'd call anyway. Pot odds dictate a call. A raise accomplishes nothing, no two pair hand will fold to it.

Jeff

BlindingLaser
07-16-2005, 09:18 PM
Another reason why call &gt; raise &gt; fold is because you want to go for an overcall behind you...he could call an Ax or something and gain even more when you're ahead of the bettor.

aflaba temp
07-18-2005, 09:49 AM
Sorry to bump the thread up. But I haven't had a chance to reply earlier.

I _think_ I understand my mistake now and I agree that call &gt; fold against a random TAG.

But, to deepen my understand I have some more questions. I hope you can be patient and bare with me :-):

More information on this TAG that I didn't write in the original post is that he had almost "perfect" 2+2 stats, 20/14,2, after a few hundred hands.

I assumed he was at least a decent player. If he is the decent TAG I think he is, then his hand range should be something like:
AQ+,
AJs,
KQs, (unprobable holding on the river)
mid pocket pairs+ (unprobable holding on the river)
right?

If we put him on AQ+, AJs on the river then Pokerstove tells me that MHIG 14% of the time.

Also I think AJs is one of the hands a player would play like this up until the river most frequently. But on the other hand, most of the time I don't think he would bet the river with AJ. I think much more common and good would be to check-call, hoping I bet a missed draw or fail to bet a two pair. Also I think check-calling with AJ is sooo much more a natural play than bet-fold and therefor AJ is not probable. But I don't really know what to put him on... Maybe that is the problem??

Also I can't be so sure of his hand range! Three possible holdings if he is looser than I yhought that I beat are KcJo, AJ, AT? Maybe he has some other crap as well??? Against a random player I can't be sure enough he doesn't have hands like that?

In conclution:

I think AJs is the only probable hand I beat up until the river. But I think a random TAG would bet AJ on this river very infrequently... So if he could only have the hands I picked for his hand range I think a fold is in place.

But I think what made my decition to fold to be incorrect is the key point that I can't be sure he didn't play preflop with worse hands than the range I put him on. And therefore I should have called the river, expecting to see KJ, AT and other hands some of the time.

Please correct me where I have logical errors so I learn. Please help me fill knowledge gaps that may be obvious in my post. I really want to learn, and I think I'm failing to understand something important in this hand.

Thanks for helping a fella out!

BreakfastBurrito
07-18-2005, 12:35 PM
I don't think anyone would tell you that 20/14 are perfect stats for a 10/20 6 max. 25/16 is a lot more standard. Either way, you're giving the raiser WAY too much credit for his hand in your analysis. Most TAGs will be 3 betting with a lot of the hands you described. Any Ace is a likely holding the way he played it.