PDA

View Full Version : Moneymaker and Varkonyi are better players than Dannenmann

betgo
07-16-2005, 01:55 PM
-

spoohunter
07-16-2005, 02:08 PM
I think my dog plays better poker than Varkonyi, and he chases gutshots with only 7.5:1 odds.

Abednego
07-16-2005, 02:16 PM
And?

newfant
07-16-2005, 02:22 PM
I would put Raymer in that group, also.

johnd13
07-16-2005, 02:48 PM
and he's a multi-millionare now....

wee bit jealous

betgo
07-16-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and he's a multi-millionare now....

wee bit jealous

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I would sure like to play him for some of that prize money heads up.

MelK
07-16-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm a better player than the typical fish that sits at my table. But I routinely end up losing a session to fish all the time. This thread is silly. The better guys have a slightly better chance to win a particular tourny, but the mediocre ones will always win a good share of them.

Dan Burns
07-16-2005, 03:18 PM
Dannenmann was on my left for all of Day 1. I was quite interested to see that he finished so high. He was a tight/solid type who clearly had card sense, but didn't seem capable of anything spectacular. He folded from the BB every single time I raised from the SB or the button raised. Didn't seem comfortable picking fights. He was a very nice guy though and I'm glad he won so much $$. -Dan

betgo
07-16-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a better player than the typical fish that sits at my table. But I routinely end up losing a session to fish all the time. This thread is silly. The better guys have a slightly better chance to win a particular tourny, but the mediocre ones will always win a good share of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I really meant it more as a compliment to Varkonyi and Moneymaker, who everyone bashes.

With as many weak players as are in that tournament, some like Williamson and Dannenmann will make it pretty far.

A total fish couldn't make the final table of that tournament with 5600 entries.

runnerunner
07-16-2005, 04:10 PM
I played with Danneman for several hours on Day 2. I took a big chunk out of his stack when I hit a straight against his top pair. I couldn't believe it when I saw that he finished second. He was a very nice guy, though, so I am happy for him. All of the bashers are just jealous. There is no way you can play under the pressure of the WSOP 14 hours a day for a week and not go bust without being an excellent player.

ptmusic
07-16-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think my dog plays better poker than Varkonyi, and he chases gutshots with only 7.5:1 odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Under the correct circumstances, implied odds can make that a worthwhile chase. You must have meant to say that your dog probably plays better poker than you.

-ptmusic

Senor Cardgage
07-16-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I played with Danneman for several hours on Day 2. I took a big chunk out of his stack when I hit a straight against his top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

FORESHADOWING.

NYCNative
07-16-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would put Raymer in that group, also.

[/ QUOTE ] http://www.melroseiowa.com/july4/July42001/morans.jpg

TimTimSalabim
07-16-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dannenmann was on my left for all of Day 1. I was quite interested to see that he finished so high. He was a tight/solid type who clearly had card sense, but didn't seem capable of anything spectacular. He folded from the BB every single time I raised from the SB or the button raised. Didn't seem comfortable picking fights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good Day 1 strategy to me. If more of the pros had done that on the first day, they might have gone a lot farther.