PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Dannenmann's boredom?

Uglyowl
07-16-2005, 01:28 PM
The quote:

Toward the end of the round, Dannenmann, a 38-year-old accountant and mortgage banker from Severn, Md., said he just wanted to finish the match.

"I got tired," he said. "I was bored of it. I was trying to make moves."

-----------------------------------------------------------

I guess it is easy to say we would never do the same thing, but he probably knew he was outclassed and he was probably mentally beat.

Godfather80
07-16-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The quote:

Toward the end of the round, Dannenmann, a 38-year-old accountant and mortgage banker from Severn, Md., said he just wanted to finish the match.

I guess it is easy to say we would never do the same thing, but he probably knew he was outclassed and he was probably mentally beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to say it, but:

http://www.donkeys.net/images/2556-donkey-miniature-di-di-sorrel-10-1-01a.jpg

Godfather80
07-16-2005, 01:34 PM
Then again, I've never been there.

newfant
07-16-2005, 01:37 PM
He was pretty light-hearted throughout the whole ME. I think he was just a guy that entered looking to have a good time and was tickled to make it as far as he did.

A_Junglen
07-16-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He was pretty light-hearted throughout the whole ME. I think he was just a guy that entered looking to have a good time and was tickled to make it as far as he did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand this to the point in the tournament where say..it's down to 2-3 tables. But come on, this is once in a lifetime! If you get heads up for the championship don't have your excuse be "I was bored or tired"...that's just sad.

PITTM
07-16-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i know whenever im bored i just give up a chance to make 3 million dollars more playing against one player...

rj

Army Eye
07-16-2005, 02:30 PM
I'd say that's his brain basically shutting down after several consecutive days of 14+ hour poker.

lastchance
07-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Make a deal.

ChristinaB
07-16-2005, 02:38 PM
He entered the final day guaranteed $1,000,000. When the day was half over he was guaranteed $2,000,000. He played fine for someone in his position. No matter how good a player you are a lot depends on luck getting that far. Remember that Raymer found good luck in several key hands in 2004.

Dannenman almost made as much this year as Raymer did last year. Not bad. His moves may have won it for him, had the luck in the final hands been different.

Autocratic
07-16-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

I read his quote as "I was clearly going to get schooled, so allow me to give you a ridiculous excuse."

It was only 6 hands into heads up, right? No way he was that bored.

ononimo
07-16-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate to say it, but:

http://www.donkeys.net/images/2556-donkey-miniature-di-di-sorrel-10-1-01a.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad he got bored ... I would have HATED to see him win.

meow_meow
07-16-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He entered the final day guaranteed $1,000,000. When the day was half over he was guaranteed $2,000,000. He played fine for someone in his position. No matter how good a player you are a lot depends on luck getting that far. Remember that Raymer found good luck in several key hands in 2004.

Dannenman almost made as much this year as Raymer did last year. Not bad. His moves may have won it for him, had the luck in the final hands been different.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? He played fine for someone in his position????

With something like 60bb, he got all his money in on the sixth hand of HU with crap.
When I took a look at the cardplayer updates this morning, and read through their description of the final hand, it made me sad.

It wasn't good poker, and I don't think it'll be good tv either.
Meh.

dawade
07-16-2005, 03:44 PM
Can you chop the pot when it gets down to two players?

Bulldog
07-16-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a guy trying to explain away his poor play. I can't imagine someone getting bored in the one moment in his life that over three million dollars hung in the balance.

xniNja
07-16-2005, 05:09 PM
agreed. He could not have been bored.. I don't care how successful or financially secure he is. It's impossible. Just a poor excuse for bad play (i'd call it tilt.. but he probably thought being super super aggressive was the best strategy and made a decision to bluff everything early...)

Lottery Larry
07-16-2005, 05:11 PM
Bored playing poker? Bored with playing for $7.5M? I'd have to play a LOT of cards to be bored.

Wired Jokers
07-16-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unreal. Three million dollars. He probably should have read this the night before. Anytime I have a big event in my life (meeting, negotiation, trial), I always pull this out to give me focus.

Everybody wants to lose (http://before.ijf.org/commission/ed-rp-11.html)

Python49
07-16-2005, 05:19 PM
I have a hard time believing there was no chop made at this final table with all that money on the line and them having played 4 way for what seemed like forever.

Nottom
07-16-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

I read his quote as "I was clearly going to get schooled, so allow me to give you a ridiculous excuse."

It was only 6 hands into heads up, right? No way he was that bored.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you guy read this thread? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2857668&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

The guy really doesn't seem like he cared all that much. I believe him.

I'm sure he knows the other guy was better as well and just went with the first hand that looked decent. (Top Pair and a OESD isn't exactly crap HU btw)

72off
07-16-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a hard time believing there was no chop made at this final table with all that money on the line and them having played 4 way for what seemed like forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, on the audio feed they were saying the Tex wouldn't take a deal (I think Layne was telling him not to as well). And I don't think Hachem would have made a deal with a huge chiplead, and skill advantage over Dannenmann HU. I don't think there was a deal, but I could be wrong.

Sheik
07-16-2005, 06:03 PM
I'm sure he realized he would get outplayed, since he admitted he's the 4th best player in his home game.

Gamblor
07-16-2005, 06:20 PM
The guy just played 7 days straight of 14 hours a day of poker.

I don't care how much money is on the line, there is no chance someone who played poker recreationally has ever gone on a bender like that and it's easy to see how he was just mentally exhausted and figured "I've got a few million locked up, I just can't stand the thought of sitting around a poker table for another god damn minute, so I'll find a reasonable hand and just get it all in, if it's the best hand then fantastic. Worst case I get to go to sleep"

-Skeme-
07-16-2005, 06:22 PM
I don't think he's saying, "Beh, I didn't really care, I was so bored I just wanted to end it."

I think he was saying he was tired as hell, bored, and that's why he made a pretty crappy play. Not an excuse for it, just an explanation.

Quicksilvre
07-16-2005, 07:18 PM
Yup. One of the nice things about Conjelco's coverage of some of the older series (1995-2000) is that some years included coverage of whether a deal was likely or not.

FNHinVA
07-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Excellent linked article ... and dead on point.

"The Hustler" - I remember both the book and the movie well. I still have the book and am now motivated to dig it out and reread some sections.

As I recall...

"Fast Eddy" excuse to lose: "I got drunk."

Dannenmann excuse to lose: "I got tired; I was bored."

Thanks for the link...

einbert
07-16-2005, 07:46 PM
I think it would have been appropriate for him to ask to continue play the next day when it got down to heads up.

I mean, these guys are playing HU for $3,000,000. If I were tired or bored or whatever I would have asked for that in a heartbeat. If it's not an option that's life but you should at least make a request.

AleoMagus
07-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Spanier has an excellent chapter on winning and losing which he also completely attributes to Tevis and the Hustler. The book is 'Total Poker', and while it contains little real strategic material, it is worth it for this one chapter.

And yeah... I think Danneman was just very very tired, and knew he was out of his depth. In a way I really feel that he did not want to be the champ. Getting 4+ mil is one thing, but the bracelet almost becomes something to feel guilty about if you know that you aren't really world class. Hence his excuse to lose. Oh well. good for him, either way.

Regards
Brad S

LargeCents
07-16-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it would have been appropriate for him to ask to continue play the next day when it got down to heads up.

I mean, these guys are playing HU for $3,000,000. If I were tired or bored or whatever I would have asked for that in a heartbeat. If it's not an option that's life but you should at least make a request.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree.

I almost think the request would have been denied. It doesn't seem like the tournement direction had the players desires in mind at all in how the tournament was conducted. Playing an extra hour one night to get down to 58 because they were "behind schedule", then quitting early the next day because they were "ahead of schedule". Considering the number of players involved, I'm sure it was an enourmous task, but in some ways the players seem to be left out of a lot of these types of decisions.

I can't believe they let play run as long as it did without extending it another day. It ruins the integrity of the final table play, IMO. But, the WSOP ME is nothing about integrity anymore, it's a drawout suckerbet to see who can get lucky enough to wade through an endless sea of donkey players.

MonkeeMan
07-16-2005, 08:50 PM
Cut the guy some slack.

Isn't he the one that was described as like the 4TH BEST in his HOME GAME? After he made it through the first day his friends said "No way, you suck" or some such.

djcolts
07-16-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Spanier has an excellent chapter on winning and losing which he also completely attributes to Tevis and the Hustler. The book is 'Total Poker', and while it contains little real strategic material, it is worth it for this one chapter.

And yeah... I think Danneman was just very very tired, and knew he was out of his depth. In a way I really feel that he did not want to be the champ. Getting 4+ mil is one thing, but the bracelet almost becomes something to feel guilty about if you know that you aren't really world class. Hence his excuse to lose. Oh well. good for him, either way.

Regards
Brad S

[/ QUOTE ]

This will sound nuts to most of you - but I'd rather finish 2nd and get 4.25 mil than win and get 7.5 mil. I can easily live with 2.5 mil after taxes and not having the pressure of living up to winning the WSOP ME bracelet when I'm not anywhere close to a world-class player. So, if that is how Dannenmann felt, then I completely understand the feeling.

einbert
07-16-2005, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This will sound nuts to you, but I hate money

[/ QUOTE ]

People like you are the reason I play poker. Thank God for you.

djcolts
07-16-2005, 11:13 PM
Actually, I doubt that people like me is why you play poker, but if I'm used to get your point across - so it be.

einbert
07-16-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I doubt that people like me is why you play poker, but if I'm used to get your point across - so it be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well um yeah you're right, my last statement was a bit off probably.

Still, the difference between $4M and $7M is about $3,000,000 to me, and that's a ton of money.

riverboatking
07-17-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Still, the difference between $4M and $7M is about $3,000,000 to me, and that's a ton of mone

[/ QUOTE ]

actually the difference between $4M and $7M is EXACTLY $3M.

garyg1
07-17-2005, 08:36 AM
yes, he is the one. during a break before the end of the tournament it was reported that he said he knew the other guy was a better and more experienced player than himself and was only the 4th best player in his home games so he was just going to enjoy the match and not get rattled because he was used to playing against better competition. In the live radio broadcast Hellmuth said the guy was just sitting there relaxed, often just smiling right at his competitor.

SheridanCat
07-17-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can you chop the pot when it gets down to two players?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can make a deal at any time if all players agree.

Regards,

T

einbert
07-17-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Still, the difference between $4M and $7M is about $3,000,000 to me, and that's a ton of mone

[/ QUOTE ]

actually the difference between $4M and $7M is EXACTLY $3M.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why I even post in this forum any more. It is more and retarded every time. Jesus.

lefty rosen
07-17-2005, 03:15 PM
He was mentally burned out. Not that hard to believe considering the stress and playing cards till 6am PST..... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

talcum
07-18-2005, 01:35 PM
I can see how he would be more than happy with what he had already done and a bit bored after days of all day play. But he was supposedly splitting the money with his friend that put up $5K so though I'm sure his friend was happy to get over $2MM back, not sure he would be happy that Steve wasn't trying his hardest for the extra $3MM.

ThisHo
07-18-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This will sound nuts to most of you - but I'd rather finish 2nd and get 4.25 mil than win and get 7.5 mil. I can easily live with 2.5 mil after taxes and not having the pressure of living up to winning the WSOP ME bracelet when I'm not anywhere close to a world-class player. So, if that is how Dannenmann felt, then I completely understand the feeling

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that this is a ridiculous point. I'm not saying that I agree, but I'm not dismissing it out of hand.

You win the extra 3.5mil (about 2mil extra after taxes) and that is good... but you are the champ and are doing interview after interview after interview for the next year. You are expected to show up at ALL the major tournies even if you know that you aren't good enough to be there. The 2nd place guy may take some grief for the next few weeks... the champ will get hammered for every bad play he makes for the rest of his life.

Taking the 4.5Mil and riding off into the sunset (back to his Tuesday night homegame) isn't an aweful idea.

Just my thoughts - ThisHo

UMTerp
07-18-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Taking the 4.5Mil and riding off into the sunset (back to his Tuesday night homegame) isn't an aweful idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, he's splitting the prize with a buddy that put up half his entry fee.

jakoye
07-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Excellent, Godfather. I laughed out loud when I scrolled down to that picture.

When I read that quote from Dannerman, I wanted to throttle the guy. He's at the final table of the WSOP, a wet dream for most of us, and he's BORED???

Hee-haw!

flo
07-18-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This will sound nuts to most of you - but I'd rather finish 2nd and get 4.25 mil than win and get 7.5 mil. I can easily live with 2.5 mil after taxes and not having the pressure of living up to winning the WSOP ME bracelet when I'm not anywhere close to a world-class player. So, if that is how Dannenmann felt, then I completely understand the feeling

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that this is a ridiculous point. I'm not saying that I agree, but I'm not dismissing it out of hand.

You win the extra 3.5mil (about 2mil extra after taxes) and that is good... but you are the champ and are doing interview after interview after interview for the next year. You are expected to show up at ALL the major tournies even if you know that you aren't good enough to be there. The 2nd place guy may take some grief for the next few weeks... the champ will get hammered for every bad play he makes for the rest of his life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should anybody do what is expected from him ? If you don't want to play every big tourney, then don't do it.

NickFlynn
07-18-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can see how he would be more than happy with what he had already done and a bit bored after days of all day play. But he was supposedly splitting the money with his friend that put up $5K so though I'm sure his friend was happy to get over $2MM back, not sure he would be happy that Steve wasn't trying his hardest for the extra $3MM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm sure his friend is really mad at him. Get a grip, dude.

- Nick

joeboe2001
07-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Yes, you all need to get a grip.

Steverino was 1 river away from winning the whole thing--when one of you gets that close, you should feel to come back and criticize his play and his attitude.

The longest tournament I ever played in took about 6 hours--I was bored and tired at the end, came in 2nd, walked away with about one-1500th of what Dannenman did AND felt great afterwards.

Give the guy a break for being honest. And note that all the people in 2+2 seem capable of saying about Hachem is that he is a bad tipper!!!-

ThisHo
07-18-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should anybody do what is expected from him ? If you don't want to play every big tourney, then don't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

good point. You don't "have to" play in any tourny. My point is simply that the winner gets an extra $3mil and poker immortality, but there is a cost to those things and I'm not 100% sure that the $3mil and the immortality outweigh the costs. See the beatings that Moneymaker/Varkoni/Raymer(to a lesser degree) take on these boards on a regular basis. The 2nd/3rd/4th place guys don't get that crap.

Anyone at the final table had a life changing financial windfall if they handle the $$$ correctly (you can't necessarily retire for $1mil, but it opens a LOT of options). Does the extra $3mil for winning pay for the chaos/pressure/etc that comes with being the champ? Not a question that I can answer, I'm just saying don't dismiss the "I'm perfectly fine with 2nd place" answer so quickly.

ThisHo

zipo
07-18-2005, 06:41 PM
"I was overmatched and decided to take a shot"... OK

"I wasn't thinking right after playing poker for 80 hours" ... OK

"I was thinking about the extra $3 million and choked"... OK

But "I was bored"???

F'in loser.

07-19-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Excellent, Godfather. I laughed out loud when I scrolled down to that picture.

When I read that quote from Dannerman, I wanted to throttle the guy. He's at the final table of the WSOP, a wet dream for most of us, and he's BORED???

Hee-haw!

[/ QUOTE ]

I do and don't share the feeling. Playing 14 hours a day for multiple days, I think my mental stamina would just be exhausted. I wouldn't be thinking or feeling clearly about things anymore. My desire to just go sleep might make me really detached from how much I wanted to be there in the first place or how much money is at risk.

I have a hard time sitting in one place for more than an hour just because my back stiffens up. I can't imagine trying to play one of these uber tournaments. I know I'd get to a point where I'd be lying on my back, feet in my chair, asking someone to hand me my cards....and advil.

Georgia Avenue
07-19-2005, 01:39 PM
I agree. Frankly I think Steve-0 (as we Md-ers call him) was stating the obvious about endless 6AM poker sessions. To be able to play poker correctly, you have to go into this zen-zone where the money and the cameras and the responsibilities and rewards all dematerialize, and the game becomes just numbers moving around on a table.

If y'all ain't never been bored as hell playing poker, y'all ain't played enough poker.

MARYLAND RULES!