PDA

View Full Version : 8 vs. 12 Tabling

chisness
07-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Has anyone compared their rates at 8 vs. 12 tabling?

I've tried both and prefer 8 just because it's a lot more calm and relatively very easy to pay attention to everything going on (mainly because my eyes can see everything on 2 screens very easily but not on 3).

Also, how many SNGs are most pros or semi pros doing per week? 200, 300, 500, 700?

The Don
07-16-2005, 01:05 PM
300-350 8 tabling in sets.

chisness
07-16-2005, 01:09 PM
solid -- what would you say the max. weekly amount would be without getting totally burnt out? 700, 600, 500?

i ask because i went into the summer hoping to do 700 a week buthave found this really tough to do, and near impossible if a day is missed -- but on the other hand, i don't want to feel like i'm not reaching a potential -- i figure 500 a week would be a good middle ground between getting a lot in and not killing myself or making it impossible to do

Mr_J
07-16-2005, 01:15 PM
40 a day 8 tabling. This was just to get into a working routine, will step it up next week to 50-60 a day. Been pretty sloppy so far this year about getting hours in (poker is my income, but part timers prob work more than me).

Also getting into HU and cash games. Playing 25nl right now. If any decent snger can't beat 25nl straight up then they shouldn't even be playing sngs /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mr_J
07-16-2005, 01:16 PM
I know I could do 100 a day without too much trouble, so you should be able to do it. I'd just have to get the first couple of days over and done with.

pokerlaw
07-16-2005, 01:25 PM
do any of you 8 (or 12) tablers play t1500 games? I am just getting to 4 tables on those and it can be quite dizzying at times, don't know how y'all do it.

chisness
07-16-2005, 01:47 PM
100 a day is quite possible, it'll take about 6 hours doing 12 at a time, but the problem is that it can get very boring and a weekly goal seems better than a daily because there are of course other committments that come up that will prevent certain days from being played (and trust me, making up 200 SNGs in addition to 100 daily is sick)

Mr_J
07-16-2005, 02:25 PM
"but the problem is that it can get very boring"

tell me about it. I'd be happy just doing 40 a day. If/when I manage to get 10%+ at the 109s that's nearly 4k a week, and that's tax free where I live. 40 is a great number for me, that's around 2 sessions of 2hrs 8tabling.

I think people should just do what they're comfy with. This is more important when we're self employed because we don't HAVE to work today if we don't want to.

chisness
07-16-2005, 02:48 PM
true, but that also shows how nice vacation days are at real jobs :]

RhitTaker
07-16-2005, 02:57 PM
I really think this subject comes down to the love of the game. If you are really skilled at poker, then you certainly can make a living at the game. If you love it, then by all means, do it. Enjoy your life, and make money while doing so.

But if it's a chore, then don't do it. If you have the intelligence and "people skills" to make a living at poker, chances are that you can make a good living doing something else.

Life is meant to be enjoyed, not fulfilling obligations. Okay I'll step off my soapbox now.

Mr_J
07-16-2005, 03:00 PM
what's a real job??? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

seriously couldn't do a 9-5, just wouldn't be able to do it, my resume:

18 dj
19 card counter
20 bonus hustler, sportsbettor, some nightclub 'work'
21 sportsbettor and poker
22 nothings changed...

RhitTaker
07-16-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
19 card counter

[/ QUOTE ]
I will NEVER understand card-counters. I did it for a few months in my vagabond years. Sure, it's a way to make a living. But that's it. It's a REAL JOB. It's simple math, but it's extremely tedious, and absolutely no fun.

I almost guarantee that people who can profitably count cards can put their skills to better use, and enjoy a more rewarding and exciting life.

Mr_J
07-16-2005, 03:21 PM
"It's a REAL JOB"

Just like online poker. Good things about counting cards is you deal with cash (I miss this) and it's more sociable. I usually had a good time at the tables.

SNGs aren't exactly a great time. Sitting in front of a computer 8tabling, making robotic abc decisions, no different from card counting. I like HU though, outplayin people and taking their money from them.

gildwulf
07-16-2005, 03:34 PM
Maybe I just haven't played enough SNGs (only like 1500) but man...SNGs are the most fun form of poker ever...no matter how many times I push from the button with 27o it still makes me giddy when the BB thinks for a few seconds and folds.

Ring games on the other hand bore the crap out of me...I think you make way more ABC decisions (at least at low-limit that I would play) than in SNGs. Then again, I play mostly limit ring and NL25 10-seater which is as ABC as you get...

Mr_J
07-16-2005, 03:44 PM
SNGs are boring until it gets shorthanded and you get to throw your weight around.

gildwulf
07-16-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SNGs are boring until it gets shorthanded and you get to throw your weight around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word.

Vetstadium
07-16-2005, 08:54 PM
Guess I am a semi pro 8 tabling the 33's, can't quit the job with newborn and all need benefits plus decent pay. I try to get at least 150 a week maybe can squeeze out 200 rarely just not enough hours in the day. I jumped to 8 tabling so I could get that much in. I have enjoyed one major thing from 8 tabling I work a lot less overtime and can play at home and at least be there with the family.