PDA

View Full Version : sufjan stevens

mike l.
07-16-2005, 04:23 AM
just saw him and his band live in san diego and it was amazing. i didnt know if it would be any good live (i do love all the cds) but it was better live in a lot of ways. great genre crossing. like pre-rock elliot smith meets pet sounds/smile era beach boys. go check it out i think theyre just starting their tour they said.

The Glove
07-16-2005, 04:55 AM
Glad to hear it was a good show. I am madly in love with Michigan and Illinois. Planning on seeing the show when he comes to Phoenix.

Anyone have opinions on Seven Swans? It's the only album of his I haven't bought yet.

GP

mike l.
07-16-2005, 05:11 AM
"Anyone have opinions on Seven Swans?"

it's his best, but im a christian so im partial to praise and worship music. illinois is close when it comes to which is best. the transfiguration is his best song and it's on seven swans.

Jack of Arcades
07-16-2005, 05:23 AM
Seven Swans is better than Michigan, but I'm in love with Illinois.

pryor15
07-16-2005, 11:59 PM
the last three songs of "seven swans" are maybe the best last 3 songs of any album I've ever heard. and the rest of it's pretty damn good as well.

Stellastarr
07-17-2005, 05:02 AM
Im really liking the new cd.

Emmitt2222
07-17-2005, 06:38 PM
Just found out about this guy from a friend a few weeks ago. Really good stuff, especially because of the Christian aspect he throws in there. I really like Illinios a lot and it is less bluegrassy than Seven Swans, but all of his stuff is solid. Not the sort of stuff that the majority of people in OOT would get into, but I like music that is more personal and less widespread anyway.

CallMeIshmael
07-17-2005, 06:39 PM
I didnt like anything up until Illinois. But Im in love with it right now /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sfer
07-28-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im really liking the new cd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Listening to it now and I agree.

IndieMatty
08-02-2005, 10:00 AM
HOLY BUMP!! It took me a while to get Illinoise, it's awe inspiring. I've listened to it 5 times since I opened it. It's keeping me sane.

From Pitchfork:

Two years after his breakthrough album Greeting From Michigan: The Great Lakes State, Sufjan Stevens offers the second installment of his absurdly ambitious "50 States" project, the 74-minute spectacular Illinois. In the wake of last year's quieter Seven Swans, this album finds the baroque, full arrangements of Michigan reaching new stunning, nuanced heights, with the help of a small army of backers (including a choir and string quartet). The result is Sufjan's most inspired album to date: Illinois is strange and lush, as excessive and challenging as its giant, gushing song titles, and as beautiful as the Chicago skyline and lakefront. [Added July 5]

Soul Daddy
08-02-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I didnt like anything up until Illinois. But Im in love with it right now

[/ QUOTE ]
This sums it up for me. In fact I love it so much I probably need to give the others another chance.

IndieMatty
08-02-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didnt like anything up until Illinois. But Im in love with it right now

[/ QUOTE ]
This sums it up for me. In fact I love it so much I probably need to give the others another chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

6 times in a row.

Yeah same here, I didn't mind the other stuff, but wow, this album has me by the balls.

MarkSummers
08-02-2005, 12:14 PM
Good album. Does the song Casmir Pulaski Day make anyone else choke up?? God, what a sad but, fantastic song.

IndieMatty
08-02-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good album. Does the song Casmir Pulaski Day make anyone else choke up?? God, what a sad but, fantastic song.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a few that are pretty emotional.

Update - 8 times.

kitaristi0
08-02-2005, 02:12 PM
I discovered him just today, how interesting, is this a sign of some sort? Illinois is one of the better albums i've heard in a while.

CallMeIshmael
08-02-2005, 02:27 PM
OK, given that Jason_t called me a "fagg" for likeing Illinois, and he doesnt like the Beatles or Pink Floyd, and doesnt get the big deal with stairway, can we just make it official that he has bad taste?

istewart
08-02-2005, 02:28 PM
He only likes music from his hometown:

http://www.series-news.com/wallpapers/images/oc.jpg

turnipmonster
08-02-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

it's his best, but im a christian so im partial to praise and worship music.

[/ QUOTE ]

??????

IndieMatty
08-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Last bump. This is the best album I have ever heard. It has vaulted to the top of my favorite albums. I have listened to it over and over and over again for three days straight. I didn't bring it to work today, and I am going through withdrawal. This is very rare for me--where I am seeking out people to tell how good it is.

I've never been so infatuated with any album I have ever purchased. I love it. Buy It.

-M

mike l.
08-04-2005, 03:22 PM
"This is the best album I have ever heard."

agreed!

MarkL444
08-05-2005, 08:54 PM
how do you pronounce sufjan?

and i also havent been able to stop listening to this cd. blows me away. while i was listening to it today i decided that this was the kind of cd that if somebody were to listen to it a few times and didn't like it, then they have no taste in music.

Soul Daddy
08-05-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how do you pronounce sufjan?

[/ QUOTE ]

soof-yan

Senor Cardgage
08-05-2005, 09:58 PM
I can't possibly relate with words how awesome he is. How many instruments does this guy play, anyways? It's insane.

Favorite tracks off the new album? I'm partial to "Predatory Wasp...".

istewart
08-05-2005, 10:10 PM
Chicago.

mike l.
08-05-2005, 10:13 PM
when i saw them they 7 or 8 people. so great.

turnipmonster
08-05-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"This is the best album I have ever heard."

agreed!

[/ QUOTE ]

ok I just bought this based on the recommendations of you clowns. this better be good.

Soul Daddy
08-05-2005, 11:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Favorite tracks off the new album?

[/ QUOTE ]
It changes every time I listen. Right now it's "Jacksonville".

pryor15
08-06-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Favorite tracks off the new album?

[/ QUOTE ]

Casmir Pulaski Day and The Man of Metropolis...

but like someone said, it keeps changing.

mike l.
08-06-2005, 03:51 AM
turin brakes. check em out. jsut saw em, they were great. way way way better than go team's live show. i love their two albums.

UncleRemus
08-22-2005, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Last bump.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta give it another bump. Just searched for this guy and found this thread...

Was out with a buddy today, who is big into indie, and he played this for me in the car. I'm not an indie fan (so this is by no means a biased review), but I was floored by this! I had to stop and pick it up, and have listened to it in it's entirety a few times now. I'll second that it's amazing, one of my favorite albums of the year.

There are so many great influences on this album, with each song sounding very fresh and original. I love stuff that jams in odd times, and there is plenty of that in this album. Grooving in 5 in the beginning of Come on! Feel the illinoise is a blast, and "The Tallest Man" really jams in even odder time. At this time, this is my favorite track on this very strong album.

I've gotta recommend this one to anyone willing to give it a listen.

I also have to pick up his back catalog...

kitaristi0
08-22-2005, 09:08 AM
Fav. track = John Wayne Gacy Jr. or the 1st track

08-22-2005, 09:44 AM
Umm.....

I just listened to Illinois, and I thought it sucked

Maybe reading this thread built it up too much, I dunno, but I was let down big time