View Full Version : Playing JJ

Wizard0965
07-16-2005, 03:26 AM
I've only been one orbit at this table so no initial reads. My main question is how people like to play pocket jacks when raised behind or ahead of you. Would you call two cold or 3 bet, if you raise as I did in the following hand and someone 3 bets you do you reraise? What about on the flop? Any insights or preferences are appreciated.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12.40 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (10.20 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (18.20 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls $0.50 (All-In).

Final Pot: 20.20 BB

arsixsixwy
07-16-2005, 03:31 AM
On a table without reads, your line is my line. If I know a player only 3-bets preflop with QQ, KK, AA, or AK, I probably slow down and just call the flop raise. After we hit the, uh, nuts, well, you know what to do. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

In general, I'm either raising or folding (with a very rock solid read) JJ preflop. It's too good of a hand, but also too vulnerable, to be playing without dictating the action.

istewart
07-16-2005, 03:34 AM
Well the later streets play themselves (except a turn check/raise is good). Without a turn jack it's tough IMO. I personally don't like finding a fold here vs. an unknown but it's not a good spot to be in unless he's getting SUPER-AGGRO with AT or KT (unlikely). You're behind a lot against the average Villain here after he caps the flop. Like, a lot /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Vote4Pedro
07-16-2005, 03:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In general, I'm either raising or folding (with a very rock solid read) JJ preflop. It's too good of a hand, but also too vulnerable, to be playing without dictating the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, JJ is only the 4th best starting hand

Boolean
07-16-2005, 03:40 AM
Personally I prefer betting straight out on the turn. Apparently villain is very attached to his hand and what's changed about the hand that would make him think he's behind? I take his line on the turn thinking that a check-raise might scare him off. If I don't hit my J on the turn, I call and plan to hit it on the river.

Seriously, I don't think I could ever fold this unless I had some strong reads telling me otherwise. check/calling after the flop cap sounds good to me.

istewart
07-16-2005, 03:44 AM
Meh this is a good point. I think I changed my mind. Tired /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Eeegah
07-16-2005, 03:52 AM
You've got the right idea IMO. I think at this point I'd fire away if the turn were a safe card and call down if raised, but obviously that doesn't apply here /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nice hand, nice pot, pity he didn't have more cash.

If you're talking about what to do with jacks preflop, raise/3-bet/cap with it as needed, but I won't play them if it's already 3 to me.

dozer
07-16-2005, 05:42 AM
since villain didn't have much money left, I don't mind the play. But if he had more money, you should just call the flop raise and call down unimproved since it is HU. There is not much value going crazy with JJ HU against a non maniac player.

For your main question, it depends. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pryor15
07-16-2005, 05:56 AM
you got all his money, so you played it correct in the end.

i think if you don't hit the J on the turn (and assuming he's got more cash on him), you have to think about slowing down at some point on the turn or, more likely, the river, as you may be looking at AA or KK

Dave G.
07-16-2005, 08:28 AM
I wouldn't cap preflop with JJ, but that seems to be against majority opinion here.

The rest I play the same. I'd have capped the river if CO didn't run out of money. Nice hand.

KingOtter
07-16-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't cap preflop with JJ, but that seems to be against majority opinion here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't either, unless villain was very laggy.

KO