View Full Version : Missed value bet?

tansoku
07-16-2005, 02:48 AM
5/10, 9 handed.
MP with A /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif
folded to me, I raise.
CO calls
SB 3 bets.

SB is a typical call down with any piece of the board, relatively passive. Definitely not over aggro.

CO is LAGish and will raise any piece of the flop. Calls all kinds of hands pflop, and calls down with anything more than high card...

I think for a second and decide that it if I just call, it will likely get capped by CO anyway, so I cap, and both of 'em call. At least this way it might slow them down if the flop misses me.

Flop comes:
J /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, I bet, CO calls, SB Calls.

Turn is a low rag. chk, bet, call, call again.

River is 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif completing my straight.

SB checks, I check, CO checks.

I figure that each of them had a piece of the board when they called the turn bet, but by the river I really am not sure one of them didn't slowplay a flopped flush.
I thought about check-raising the flop, but really didn't want to give a free card to someone with a /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Is this a value bet on the river?
Feels like way ahead/way behind, and the only hand calling a bet once the 8 hits might be someone with a 7, unlikely with the capped pflop action unless one of them was caught bluffing. Any other Q's out there and it's a chop. I wouldn't know if a check raise from SB was the idiot end of the str8 or a slowplayed flush..

private joker
07-16-2005, 03:00 AM
Yes. It's a missed bet. This river is a sickeningly easy bet and call a raise.

Dan Rutter
07-16-2005, 03:19 PM
This is an easy bet on the river. You were betting as a semi bluff on the flop and the turn. On the river you got a non-spade 8, the only better card you could have received is a non-spade K. So you got one of the cards you were hoping for with your semi-bluff. Now you have to bet the river. If one of your opponents are paired they will often make a crying call.

Also, next time you post do not type in your river action.

Type it like this for example.

River 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif completing my straight.

SB checks, whats my action?

A: Bet

shant
07-16-2005, 03:31 PM
Capping because "it's going to get capped anyway" is terrific. Bet the river.

tansoku
07-16-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes. It's a missed bet. This river is a sickeningly easy bet and call a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I think I understand why now: I wasn't accounting for the fact that I get 2 calls from worse hands here like 90% of the time, and probably 30% of the time get raised by the idiot end of the str8 to make another 1-2 or chop to a QQ or something.

I also suppose a made flush would raise the turn?

Thanks for the responses.

Results:
SB had 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif for the low str8
CO had 93os /images/graemlins/shocked.gif
MHWG
and I thought that this only happened at .5/1 /images/graemlins/ooo.gif