PDA

View Full Version : to the sng forum in general

citanul
07-16-2005, 02:20 AM
that type of crap will not be tolerated.

citanul

Apathy
07-16-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
tha type of crap will not be tolerated.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

care to fill me in? just got home.

citanul
07-16-2005, 02:23 AM
that type of crap = racist stupid ranty crap in particular at the moment.

but in general, crap of forms that are obviously crap will not be tolerated.

stupid crappy threads will be deleted.

repetitious or totally answered threads will be either deleted and PMs sent, or locked when the answer is provided.

posters who do things like the garbage that was just removed will be banned.

citanul

EricW
07-16-2005, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
tha type of crap will not be tolerated.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Just read your answer above.

PrayingMantis
07-16-2005, 02:54 AM
I like your style.

morgan180
07-16-2005, 02:55 AM
i like your attitude.

johnnybeef
07-16-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like your style.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think hes a douche

citanul
07-16-2005, 02:58 AM
thanks.

and remember:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/images/notifymod.gif

is your friend.

citanul

Apathy
07-16-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like your style.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think hes a douche

[/ QUOTE ]

How long before citanul locks his own thread?

citanul
07-16-2005, 03:01 AM
i think i might have locked one of mine already, i'm not sure.

it's hard striking a balance between letting people have fun, be social, and joke around with each other and allowing the forum to be over-run with contentless drivel. i'm clearly not a poster who never posts anything social, as i'm pretty sure very few are, but there are clearly lines which don't get crossed.

when those lines get crossed, actions will be taken. don't be afraid to use the button.

citanul

johnnybeef
07-16-2005, 03:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i think i might have locked one of mine already, i'm not sure.

it's hard striking a balance between letting people have fun, be social, and joke around with each other and allowing the forum to be over-run with contentless drivel. i'm clearly not a poster who never posts anything social, as i'm pretty sure very few are, but there are clearly lines which don't get crossed.

when those lines get crossed, actions will be taken. don't be afraid to use the button.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Ladies and gentlemen, the proof is as they say in the pudding /images/graemlins/grin.gif

skipperbob
07-16-2005, 07:20 AM
Tis ain't Nam Donnie! We got rules here! /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Blarg
07-16-2005, 10:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

repetitious or totally answered threads will be either deleted and PMs sent, or locked when the answer is provided.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

"Locked when the answer is provided" sounds like dangerous grounds rife with the potential for thoughtlessness or abuse, as there is often heated and prolonged exchange about whether an answer is really right or not. I hope it doesn't all come down to mood swings or touchiness, from which certain unnamed moderators are famously non-exempt.

citanul
07-16-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Locked when the answer is provided" sounds like dangerous grounds rife with the potential for thoughtlessness or abuse, as there is often heated and prolonged exchange about whether an answer is really right or not. I hope it doesn't all come down to mood swings or touchiness, from which certain unnamed moderators are famously non-exempt.

[/ QUOTE ]

No no no, by the types of threads I meant "locked when the answer is provided" I meant the types of threads that are like "can anyone find me this old thread that says x" or "can anyone find my aleo's guide" or something like that, not something that has debate.

i think that locking such threads is probably best for the exact reason that once the answer is provided it keeps people who famously have swingy moods from flaming the person and telling them to use the search function.

citanul

pergesu
07-16-2005, 10:21 AM
Since we're discussing issues that pertain to this forum, can you change your location? Bugs me every time I see it. "Profiting" only has one "t", bitch

citanul
07-16-2005, 10:24 AM
fine, so i can't read, spell, type, or walk and chew gum. any other complaints?

if people want to put moderating suggestions, or just other suggestions about the forum in this thread, that's completely fine.

citanul

Oluwafemi
07-16-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

if people want to put moderating suggestions, or just other suggestions about the forum in this thread, that's completely fine.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

suggestion #1: maybe you should think about some of the crappy and questionable stuff that you do [like admittingly being a "dick" on pupose] before you start trying to police others. it makes no sense for you to be able to act that way, but then ban somebody else when they get out of line.

gildwulf
07-16-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since we're discussing issues that pertain to this forum, can you change your location? Bugs me every time I see it. "Profiting" only has one "t", bitch

[/ QUOTE ]

I was gonna say something but ya beat me to it:P

gildwulf
07-16-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

suggestion #1: maybe you should think about some of the crappy and questionable stuff that you do [like admittingly being a "dick" on pupose] before you start trying to police others. it makes no sense for you to be able to act that way, but then ban somebody else when they get out of line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Citanul, I agree with you that these threads need some policing and that there is a lot of useless crap, but this guy has a point. You flame a LOT of n00bs who don't know any better on this board (and others), and I don't see how that's any better than flaming people who know better. I think if you want to crack down this is the right idea but you gotta lead by example.

benfranklin
07-16-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

suggestion #1: maybe you should think about some of the crappy and questionable stuff that you do [like admittingly being a "dick" on pupose] before you start trying to police others.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is an old joke about the best way to train a mule is to first hit it between the eyes with a 2x4 to get its attention. There are people on these forums who just don't pay attention.

In the instances I can recall him "being a dick on purpose", he was doing it to get the attention of people who were otherwise oblivious to reality. Being a dick for the sadistic pleasure of it is objectionable. Being a dick to convey a needed lesson can be efficient and beneficial.

(citanul: don't let this go to your head and start acting like a dick, OK? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

Unarmed
07-16-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's fine.
People that post stupid sh*t should get flamed.
It's nothing personal (think of it as a rite of passage) and flaming people happens to be the most effective way to disuade people from posting garbage. Plus its funny, so long as its not racist/personal/overly offensive. Note: Citanul has never crossed this line.

I don't want to debate this.
I also don't want people to start arguing about citanul's moderating "technique". He's doing a spectacular job.

Khern
07-16-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is an old joke about the best way to train a mule is to first hit it between the eyes with a 2x4 to get its attention. There are people on these forums who just don't pay attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

And there are people with something to offer(either now or later) who just won't come back, or who may come back but not bother to post. I'm not a fan of Citanul's fairly high level of aggresion with respect to forum moderation, but I'm not the most frequent poster, so I hadn't said anything to this point. If that's the way the majority of the forum wants it, who am I to argue. I just don't think it's the best way myself.

John.

JayKon
07-16-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also don't want people to start arguing about citanul's moderating "technique". He's doing a spectacular job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, except for one thing. citanul was supposed to (at worst) act angry. What I'm pretty sure he did was get angry. As a result, this thread looks like the bickering that happens on RGP.

Newt_Buggs
07-16-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

No, it's fine.
It's nothing personal (think of it as a rite of passage) and flaming people happens to be the most effective way to disuade people from posting garbage. Plus its funny, so long as its not racist/personal/overly offensive. Note: Citanul has never crossed this line.

[/ QUOTE ]
unarmed said what I was going to say, but he phrased it better.

gildwulf
07-16-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And there are people with something to offer(either now or later) who just won't come back, or who may come back but not bother to post. I'm not a fan of Citanul's fairly high level of aggresion with respect to forum moderation, but I'm not the most frequent poster, so I hadn't said anything to this point. If that's the way the majority of the forum wants it, who am I to argue. I just don't think it's the best way myself.

John.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oluwafemi
07-16-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

so a guy, who admits to acting like a "dick" sometimes on purpose [who also happens to have landed the job of moderator for the SNG forum], is ok in doing so as long as it disuades people from posting garbage? seems to me that as soon as you start acting like a "dick", you end up posting the very garbage that you saying flaming disuades people from doing in the first place. how much sense does that make? you say flaming is'nt personal. i've seen flaming get personal plenty of times [one only needs to jet back to Guacho Fish & Irie's thread on a *botched* backing arrangement]. it's not fine or ok for someone to be excused of being a "dick" to someone else just because it may disuade someone else from posting garbage. garbage is garbage, no matter who the poster is or what status or image they hold in these boards.

benfranklin
07-16-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

And there are people with something to offer(either now or later) who just won't come back, or who may come back but not bother to post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree. Anyone who is ever going to have anything to offer is either going to see that he is getting flamed because he deserved it (and learns from it), and/or will have enough sense, and sense of humor, to realized that this is the 2+2 version of pledge hazing. But most people who will ever have anything to contribute won't jump right in with flammable posts.

The ones who won't be back are the idjits who don't read the threads, don't do any search, and come on here and ask if their 60% ITM for their first 13 SnGs is sustainable. They think that they made a brilliant post and got trashed for it and leave. If getting flamed for that doesn't make them think and read and then post again, then they would never have had anything to offer anyway, other than more of the same.

Many of the other forums have the same idjits making the same clueless posts week after week. They never learn and they never contribute. This forum is one of the better ones in that regard.

gildwulf
07-16-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And there are people with something to offer(either now or later) who just won't come back, or who may come back but not bother to post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree. Anyone who is ever going to have anything to offer is either going to see that he is getting flamed because he deserved it (and learns from it), and/or will have enough sense, and sense of humor, to realized that this is the 2+2 version of pledge hazing. But most people who will ever have anything to contribute won't jump right in with flammable posts.

The ones who won't be back are the idjits who don't read the threads, don't do any search, and come on here and ask if their 60% ITM for their first 13 SnGs is sustainable. They think that they made a brilliant post and got trashed for it and leave. If getting flamed for that doesn't make them think and read and then post again, then they would never have had anything to offer anyway, other than more of the same.

Many of the other forums have the same idjits making the same clueless posts week after week. They never learn and they never contribute. This forum is one of the better ones in that regard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pledge hazing is lame enough. Internet forum pledge hazing? Laaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

tech
07-16-2005, 02:56 PM
You mean stuff like this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=2849062 &Forum=,,,,f22,,,,&Words=&Searchpage=4&Limit=25&Ma in=2849062&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=3979&dat erange=1&newerval=1&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertyp e=&bodyprev=#Post2849062)?

gildwulf
07-16-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You mean stuff like this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=2849062 &Forum=,,,,f22,,,,&Words=&Searchpage=4&Limit=25&Ma in=2849062&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=3979&dat erange=1&newerval=1&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertyp e=&bodyprev=#Post2849062)?

[/ QUOTE ]

PWNED!!

microbet
07-16-2005, 03:41 PM
Not PWN3D.

He was talking about something completely different.

gildwulf
07-16-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's not a stupid crappy thread, I don't know what is.

gildwulf
07-16-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Citanul has told n00bs on several occassions that they should kill themselves, that they should die, etc., etc. If I was a 19-year old kid just discovering poker and I came across this site...and I posted a question and the moderator told me to go crawl in a hole and die, I would probably look at this as personal.

microbet
07-16-2005, 03:54 PM
Did you see the post that inspired this thread?

It was a 'hate-speech' issue.

The coffee post was just a social post.

I wouldn't want to see the social posts disappear. In fact, if this place were all business, I doubt I would participate. I don't mind offensive posts staying or being deleted as long as the funny ones are kept. I certainly don't mind the opportunity to tell someone like the poster of the offensive thread to f-off.

It is incredibly easy to read about and participate in STT strategy discussions in this forum eventhough you might have to look past a few threads.

gildwulf
07-16-2005, 04:05 PM
I like social posts...but I'm not a moderator and I'm not the person chiding everyone to not make stupid crappy posts and then making them.

This was exactly the kind of post Citanul was talking in his first reply-->pwned.

The Yugoslavian
07-16-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This was exactly the kind of post Citanul was talking in his first reply-->pwned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't see 'reply'

I guess his coffee post was pointless...I dunno, I found it to be entertaining.

I'm not sure that is what he means in his REPLY post anyway though...but I can see how it can be interpreted as such.

Yugoslav

gildwulf
07-16-2005, 04:12 PM
WTF, read posts before you actually say something...I said in his first REPLY which was:
[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello??

Note: Yugoslav's above post edited thoroughly...

gildwulf
07-16-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...but I can see how it can be interpreted as such.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

What is there to be interpreted? Citanul told everyone he would bust people for making stupid crappy posts. Citanul makes these posts sometimes and Tech called BS.

Nick B.
07-16-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WTF, read posts before you actually say something...I said in his first REPLY which was:
[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello??

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you still mad that he locked your post with stats that ZJ posted 3 weeks prior (and also had about 200 replies too). If Citanul wants to post about a type of coffee he likes, let him. If you can't see the difference between doing something OT like that, and some newb posting an idiotic question that has been answered 1000x, you need to open your eyes.

gildwulf
07-16-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello??

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you still mad that he locked your post with stats that ZJ posted 3 weeks prior (and also had about 200 replies too). If Citanul wants to post about a type of coffee he likes, let him. If you can't see the difference between doing something OT like that, and some newb posting an idiotic question that has been answered 1000x, you need to open your eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not mad at anyone (I forgot about that thread), I like Citanul, I think he is a fine moderator, and I never said I didn't like social posts. I just don't like hypocrisy. If you are going to lead people and try and lay down the law noone is going to follow your rules if you don't lead by example.

microbet
07-16-2005, 04:33 PM
I don't see how you are proving the coffee post fits what he meant by stupid crappy posts.

The post he deleted was the racist one. He says he will delete other crappy posts. I don't see how you conclude that other posts necessarily means purely social posts as opposed to, say, stupid crappy posts.

gildwulf
07-16-2005, 04:44 PM
OK, we can argue about what are stupid crappy posts till we are blue in the face; it's pretty subjective. I guarantee you though, if someone with 100 posts or less wrote a post that said "I like mocha cappucinos" it would be either a) deleted, b) locked, or c) severely flamed.

edit: my last insubstantive stupid crappy post of the day

citanul
07-16-2005, 04:49 PM
I would like to apologize for the total imprecision surrounding the term:

[ QUOTE ]
stupid crappy threads

[/ QUOTE ]

For now, I'm going to leave the definition at exactly that. It will be a "you know it when you see it" sort of thing. If people have contentions surrounding action I take as moderator, they can always feel free to PM me, and I will be as prompt as I can be in responding. I'm sure that anyone who has PMed me in my moderator position will agree that I have been doing exactly that.

I think that anyone who looks back at the last week or so at threads that I've locked, or deleted, or users who I've banned wouldn't be able to honestly argue with any of them. But again, if anyone thinks that I have been unfair, or am being unfair in the future, they can call me on it.

As has been discussed in this thread, the forum will maintain its social nature, and I will not be attempting to make this a strategy "only" forum. I maintain the right to post in a social nature as I did prior to being moderator because I don't believe I should be denied the rights that are afforded to the non-moderator posters of this forum.

With respect to me leading by example, I believe that anyone who looks at my style of posting will agree that I've toned down since taking on the moderator position, and that I clearly have not "gotten angry" in that time span.

regards,

citanul

Nick B.
07-16-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK, we can argue about what are stupid crappy posts till we are blue in the face; it's pretty subjective. I guarantee you though, if someone with 100 posts or less wrote a post that said "I like mocha cappucinos" it would be either a) deleted, b) locked, or c) severely flamed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, because nobody would discuss it with him. Whereas somebody who has been here a while and people like will get decent responses. Just like if somebody went up to a group of people he didn't know and said, "Hey guys, I like cappuchino's." They would look at him like he was [censored] crazy, but if somebody said that to their golfing buddies, it would be normal.

gildwulf
07-16-2005, 04:51 PM
I think you are doing a great job as moderator and I respect what you're doing for the forum. Keep up the good work (I think this was lost somewhere in the shuffle of my last couple posts).

citanul
07-16-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

edit: my last insubstantive stupid crappy post of the day

[/ QUOTE ]

I guarantee you that I would not do (a) or (b) or (c) without cause.

So, for instance if this happened:

1) Poster x posts a silly "I like mocha cappucinnos post"
2) Poster y posts "[censored] off jackass yuppie"
3) Poster z posts "well die you hook-nosed etc"

I would delete posts 2 and 3, but leave the thread intact.

I guarantee you of that.
I cannot guarantee that other posters would not flame Poster x in that situation. And they are welcome to, as people were welcome to flame me for mine. (As they did.)
Further, you should not be attempting to make guarantees about what I will or will not do in the future. It's a bad tactic.

I can guarantee that there will be a policing of the level of flaming. Such as, racist flaming will never be tolerated.

citanul

tech
07-16-2005, 04:54 PM
For the record, I didn't mean to imply that Citanul wasn't doing a good job or anything. I just wanted to point out that we all make posts from time to time which have less than substantive content and which could easily be interpreted as "stupid crappy posts." I would hate to see any of us lose that right. Thanks for the clarification Cit.

SuitedSixes
07-16-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, because nobody would discuss it with him. Whereas somebody who has been here a while and people like will get decent responses. Just like if somebody went up to a group of people he didn't know and said, "Hey guys, I like cappuchino's." They would look at him like he was [censored] crazy, but if somebody said that to their golfing buddies, it would be normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. As usual Nick B. hits homerun.

This place used to be very informative, yet boring. In the last few weeks it has still been very informative, but social. Maybe to a newer posted who isn't in on the jokes, or who hasn't actually spent time with a bunch of the regulars it seems pointless. I can't begin to imagine what people who have never had the honor of meeting Skipperbob think of his posts, but being one of the few lucky ones who has, it makes my day.

As for me, I can only argue about folding pocket pairs in EP so much, or worry that Player X has a 5% higher ROI than me. It takes too much out of me to worry about these things. My days of serious posts are pretty much over . . . in fact as soon as I can find my flash card adapter I am going to make another social non-poker post.

As far as the Citanul mocha post that has created so much ire . . . my favorite part of Citanul's moderatorhoodship has been his efforts to be more human and social, and I think it has been great for the forum.

morgan180
07-16-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Newt_Buggs
07-16-2005, 05:30 PM
Even though he has done an excellent job of moderating, my favorite part of him getting this job is that he now posts more.

pergesu
07-16-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Citanul has told n00bs on several occassions that they should kill themselves, that they should die, etc., etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah but has he been doing that since he became the mod? I don't know for sure...but I know that I haven't seen it in a while.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who is ever going to have anything to offer is either going to see that he is getting flamed because he deserved it (and learns from it), and/or will have enough sense, and sense of humor, to realized that this is the 2+2 version of pledge hazing. But most people who will ever have anything to contribute won't jump right in with flammable posts.

[/ QUOTE ]
I got flamed for my first couple posts. Cause they were downrigh stupid.

Now look at me /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewilde
07-16-2005, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Citanul has told n00bs on several occassions that they should kill themselves, that they should die, etc., etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah but has he been doing that since he became the mod? I don't know for sure...but I know that I haven't seen it in a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that all of you have a much longer history with this forum than I, but for what it's worth, in my time here Citanul has made me feel very welcomed. It's actually a compliment of all the posters in this entire forum; I ask a lot of stupid questions but everyone always tries to offer me some direction and you're quite patient. Citanul, in particular, has responded with posts that I would qualify, counter to some of the criticisms in this thread, as outright warm. Again, this is only from my short-term perspective, but I feel like my experience serves to support what Pergesu is saying. At least recently, Citanul hasn't seemed cold or spiteful. I realize that's not really the issue at the heart of the thread, nobody is saying he's a bad guy; Pergesu's post just made me think of it.

taylor
07-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Romper Room..

citanul
07-16-2005, 09:48 PM
btw, i was looking through some of the post history for the user "bearly" to try and see if i could find any content, and i came upon this exchange from an older thread:

Luminous Mist:

[ QUOTE ]
How about Mat just gives certain posters in this forum who post a ton and will keep trash out, moderator privledges. These few can just delete threads (while then pming them a link to a faq and/or a quick answer).

We could even call them the 'we stop baby jesus from crying police' .

Luminous

[/ QUOTE ]

tech:

[ QUOTE ]
The job of the user moderators is not to police content in the way you describe. That is the job of people like Citanul.

[/ QUOTE ]

just though that was funny.

anyways, i'm glad that some people approve of my moderation style, and that some people are happy that i'm posting more, and that it's saturday, and some other stuff too.

hope you all are having a slightly less sweaty, but as good day as me.

citanul

iMsoLucky0
07-16-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Moderator(s) notified In a moment you will be automatically returned to the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I WIN!!

bearly
07-17-2005, 12:05 AM
that's funny: "we have a dossier on you mr. bear", inspector cit.