PDA

View Full Version : some tells about players, ie. reading a table

davet
07-16-2005, 01:58 AM
This is for all of you that venture into card rooms and technophobes (me) who still hasn't learned how to turn on a computer.

I have read some good posts about table image and got decent response to my own questions, so here are a few observations that I have made about players.

The situation: You walk into a card room and there is no waiting, or you are sick of watching maniacs pay 3 bb preflop, you find a table with an open seat, but before you sit down, you see a broke live one get up (unfortanately).

Here are a few tells that I personally use to analyze a new table, and I have found them to be relatively acurate. Notice that I do not play in mid- high stakes, so these probably don't pertain to those.

1- A rack of chips. On closer inspection, you see a pile of green sitting on the felt, conviniently sitting under the rack. Answer: Maniac

A person is sitting down with a smart *** smirk on his face, and looking around with a twinkle in his eyes. Answer: Insaniac, (the maniace that revels in making others angry)

2- Retiree-- Self- explanatory.

3- A pyramid is concisely created-- Congratulate this one, he might have read the last chaper of Gambling Theory and Other Concepts, thinks about his game, and might even give you a tip or two on how to play after flopping quads agains two re-raises. None-the-less, this guy is probably still too loose and loves to slowplay, suseptable to chasing.

4- Three pillars with 300 chips in each obulisk-- Come on, if this guy can figure out how to break the laws of physics, he must be pretty smart, also I doubt he bought in with a thousand dollars.

5- Magician-- the guy who displays amazing feats of dexterity with the chips. I can't imagine this one having a pile of chips at home just to practice these moves. I find this to be LAG.

6- Hats- Maybe the guy is bald, give him a break.

7- Professionals- These are the ones I love to sit with the most. They where the sunglasses and sometimes the hat. These guys obviously haven't read a thing and are confusing the table with the WSOP. In fact he is probably confused about alot of things, but what's important is this person has an easily brused ego. Watch him steam after floding ten straight hands, and having his Ace- high busted by a fullhouse. How do you know when these experts are steaming?Their mouth tells the tale, and the sunny gs come off.

8- The chip counter- He is on a short bankroll, will either play dumb or dumber, and won't call to many bets, bluff this one alot.

Of coarse, there is nothing wrong with rail- birding a while, but nothing beats experience. I always find the same people playing, and they all play the same way they played last week. Get to know the faces and the styles.

I love hate mail, so have fun with it.

donger
07-16-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
3- A pyramid is concisely created-- Congratulate this one, he might have read the last chaper of Gambling Theory and Other Concepts, thinks about his game, and might even give you a tip or two on how to play after flopping quads agains two re-raises. None-the-less, this guy is probably still too loose and loves to slowplay, suseptable to chasing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say that?

dozer
07-16-2005, 02:39 AM
these reads seem pretty crappy and mostly inacurate. Hope this is not what you actually look for to decide wether you sit down or not. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

cadillac1234
07-16-2005, 11:58 AM
Actually, this pretty much describes low-limit tables in CA cardrooms.

The OP missed the :

a.The Gambools- Broke on Pai-Gow over the last 24 hours and chasing money on the $3-$6 games. Loves to chase and hit 4 card straights

b.The First and the Fifteenths- Free-rolling courtesy of SSI and the State of California

brettbrettr
07-16-2005, 12:00 PM
My B&M experience is limited but FWIW I basically disagree with just about everything you've said.

shant
07-16-2005, 03:27 PM
This post belongs in the B&M forum.