PDA

View Full Version : Best beverage for spicy foods?

Voltron87
07-16-2005, 12:20 AM
What is the best beverage for eating spicy foods? The irish side of me doesn't react well to it. I pretty much cried when I ate one of the hot peppers in my chinese food. less crying than tearing, but still. Do any drinks dullen the taste in between bites?

pearljam
07-16-2005, 12:24 AM
I remember a few yuears ago watching on the food network that milk and alcohol both take the sting out of spicy foods in between bites.

ewile
07-16-2005, 12:27 AM
Some people say bread. Some say milk...some say water. I like cold beer.

Hiding
07-16-2005, 12:29 AM
Tequila

Chairman Wood
07-16-2005, 12:41 AM
It depends on what other foods are with the spice. However if you are dealing with just full out spice and desire only to cool your mouth down the best beverage is milk. I was at the Miami University for a Rugby match a few years ago. At the after party, often a man of the match is selected and this time I was him. Usually you get a T-shirt or something from the other team and the home team dictates some sort of silly ritual that you must do after you are presented with your prize. We, just simply made the person drop their shorts and chug a beer whenever we were hosts. They, on the other hand, cut the top off a jalepeno pepper, carved out the inside, filled it with dried chili peppers, added some additional hot sauce and made you eat one along with the man of the match from their team. Apparently they've done this a lot, have done their research and had milk ready for us afterwards. Eating that was extremely painful. I can honestly say I would rather take a kick to the nuts then go through that again.

miajag81
07-16-2005, 12:42 AM
Milk is the correct answer...if you don't like milk, then water.

swede123
07-16-2005, 12:50 AM
Newcastle is the correct choice.

Swede

Voltron87
07-16-2005, 01:05 AM
so milk it is. i'll try cold beer as well.

the dish i was eating was grilled port, some pork, some leek and onion, other good stuff, with 1-2 hot peppers. the peppers are green and have little white circle thingies (these are spicy) inside. I ate one by accident. ow. it wasnt as bad as what you have, but it was hard. as i was swallowing it literally burned my mouth, and i... cried a bit.

MrWookie47
07-16-2005, 02:16 AM
Most spiciness is in food from some sort of an oil. In order to get it out of your mouth, you need something that dissolves oil. Everyone knows oil and water don't mix, so you have to use something else. Alternatively, milk has fat in it, and fat is just the ticket (oil = fat). Also, ethanol in beer will do the same thing.

I'm not the biggest drinker of IPA's, but for some reason, I find that spicy food and an IPA are a match made in heaven. Tastes good, and the alcohol moderates the spice.

jakethebake
07-16-2005, 02:25 AM
crackers, bread, etc is better than a beverage.

IronDragon1
07-16-2005, 02:26 AM
Clearly beer but if you wish to go non-alcoholic (I don't know why-but hey) I'm partial to iced tea.

Victor
07-16-2005, 02:33 AM
so you are irish and you are asking for drinking advice. yea, i guess the forums are goin down the tube.

BruinEric
07-16-2005, 02:42 AM
In addition to the recommendations herein, I'll add that Horchata goes nicely with spicy Mexican food. There are some bad Horchatas out there though, so YMMV.

AZK
07-16-2005, 03:13 AM
What about coke? That seems to work for me at chipotle...

James Boston
07-16-2005, 03:17 AM
We could go for the cool answer, or we could go for the most realistic answer... milk. Beer is more tasty, but doesn't perform as well when it comes to relief.

im_the_dirt
07-16-2005, 04:38 AM
If you are eating at any sort of asian restraunt drink thai ice tea. Its a sweat tea with cream/milk that is good for spicy food.

AEKDBet
07-16-2005, 05:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Newcastle is the correct choice.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

all other opinions are wrong

Freakin
07-16-2005, 09:53 AM
Tea is supposed to be good for dissolving the oil. Milk would be a better choice, if it wasn't so damn disgusting.

Freakin

Sifmole
07-16-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Milk is the correct answer...if you don't like milk, then water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Water will just make it worse really.

The correct answer, and go to the people that eat really hot food regularly -- a Lhasi ( indian yogurt drink, I'm probably spelling it wrong. ); Mango flavor is great.

But milk is the generally available choice.

TylerD
07-16-2005, 11:23 AM
the answer is blatantly beer.

montechristo
07-16-2005, 01:18 PM
beer and its not even close.

ACPlayer
07-16-2005, 01:40 PM
The best way to cool off the mouth is to take a piece of bread (preferably a grainy one as it lasts longer than wonder bread) and chew on it working the bread with saliva.

Saliva breaks down the carbs in the bread to sugars that cool of the mouth and take the heat off.

It is also very good to slowly chew all food you eat.

It is the best way by far.

Diplomat
07-16-2005, 01:55 PM
Water is clearly wrong. I don't need to go into why this is so, it's been done before.

To develop the Scoville Scale (http://www.chemsoc.org/exemplarchem/entries/mbellringer/scoville.htm) , I am pretty sure a sugar solution was used to dilute the burn from the peppers tested. It stands to reason that sugary drinks like Coke would help ease the burn. Beer has a fair bit of sugar in it as well, so that would do just fine.

-Diplomat

KaneKungFu123
07-16-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

the dish i was eating was grilled port, some pork, some leek and onion, other good stuff, with 1-2 hot peppers . the peppers are green and have little white circle thingies (these are spicy) inside. I ate one by accident. ow. it wasnt as bad as what you have, but it was hard. as i was swallowing it literally burned my mouth, and i... cried a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is spicy for you?

Luv2DriveTT
07-16-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
crackers, bread, etc is better than a beverage.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% correct. Hence why rice is often served with the spicest of Indian foods.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

xLukex
07-16-2005, 05:18 PM
Yeah, milk would go REAL good with my ginger garlic chicken curry.

ACK.

Bread.

shant
07-16-2005, 05:22 PM
Armenians have a drink called Tahn that is yogurt based and it really kills any spicyness in your mouth. It's definitely an acquired taste, but goes really well with spicy Mediterranean food.

Recipe for Tahn (http://www.saintsarkis.org/miscellanious.htm#TAHN)

Voltron87
07-16-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

the dish i was eating was grilled port, some pork, some leek and onion, other good stuff, with 1-2 hot peppers . the peppers are green and have little white circle thingies (these are spicy) inside. I ate one by accident. ow. it wasnt as bad as what you have, but it was hard. as i was swallowing it literally burned my mouth, and i... cried a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is spicy for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

when i ate the peppers at once, yes, it was.

OtisTheMarsupial
07-16-2005, 05:46 PM
water

Lawrence Ng
07-16-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tequila

[/ QUOTE ]

PwN'd.

Lawrence

The Goober
07-16-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The correct answer, and go to the people that eat really hot food regularly -- a Lhasi ( indian yogurt drink, I'm probably spelling it wrong. ); Mango flavor is great.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this, although watch out for salty (as opposed to sweet) lhasi - its something of an aquired taste.