PDA

View Full Version : Good river check to induce bluff?

veganmav
07-15-2005, 10:44 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

CO is slightly LAG but not too bad of a player

I Checked the flop to see the action, and raised when the LAG CO bet. Bet the turn, when the CO called, I realized he probably was either slowplaying and ace, had a queen with a better kicker, in which case I was far behind, or he had a flush draw or a gutshot draw with something like KJ or JT, when the river came as a harmless 4h, I figured I was probably way ahead or way behind, so I decided to check, hoping to enduce a bluff from a busted draw.

If he had a draw and I bet, he folds, but all that he would call with that I beat is probably a pocket pair or something like Kd8d which seems unlikely to me.

Was this a good river check to induce a bluff?

What about the possibility that he has a medium pocket pair like 99?

pokerjunky
07-15-2005, 10:55 PM
Well played.

jstewsmole
07-15-2005, 11:33 PM
I like it alot. Seems like a solid thought process.
Checking looks real weak obviously and he will probably take a shot at u when u check with hands that he wouldve folded to a bet.

A side benefit to this play is that if u were to bet out he might try to represent the slow played ace by bluff raising and putting u into a tricky spot.

Also if he does have the ace u dont get trapped here when he raises u for an xtra bet.

veganmav
07-15-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Checking looks real weak obviously and he will probably take a shot at u when u check with hands that he wouldve folded to a bet.

A side benefit to this play is that if u were to bet out he might try to represent the slow played ace by bluff raising and putting u into a tricky spot.

Also if he does have the ace u dont get trapped here when he raises u for an xtra bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing is that I am potentialy missing a value bet if he holds something like 99 which he might have called with, butI think it's probably worth the risk.

thesharpie
07-17-2005, 09:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing is that I am potentialy missing a value bet if he holds something like 99 which he might have called with, butI think it's probably worth the risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lag should raise pocket 9s preflop. Let's say he could have pocket 9s for the hell of it, he can only make that 6 ways, he's alot more likely to have a busted draw or a hand better than yours.