PDA

View Full Version : short vegas trip report....

10-30-2001, 11:14 AM
the plan was to get ahead in the 4-8 game and then take a stab at the 10-20 or 15-30 game. Also had decided to play in the 120 buy-in no limit at the mirage.

well I stuck to the plan mostly, my first two sessions were small losers tho, stuck around 100 at this point. On to the tournament...

played in a 25 dollar satellite for a free 120 buyin seat and 100 dollars cash for the thurs. mirage tourney, and when it got down to the last two of us, we were close to even chip wise. After a short negotiation, I got the seat and he got the 100 cash. (I feel I should have played it out, all or nothing)

7 pm tourney starts: was playing very solid even with no cards, stole a few blinds in position with trash, made the one rebuy at the last chance to do so, played solid some more and then made a horrible call and out of the tourney. finished 19th out of 39. I won't bother posting the hand... too embarassing :o)

next day went to bellagio 4-8 holdem and finally got some cards plus a few good breaks and cashed out couple hundred ahead. It was a real good session, I felt I was in the Ray Zee zone. You know, you're "in touch" with the whole table and you know what everyone has, like there are no backs on the cards.

last day: well I've been in vegas 3 days and I have 100 dollars less than I started. Can't complain. (yet) heh. wheels fall off at the bellagio 4-8 game. It was a great game, (please send more money!) honest, but alas I was no match for the live ones. Please trust me when I say I did NOT go on tilt but still managed to drop 300 dollars on a 10 hour session. No worries, I concider it merely a small loan.

I'm 1 for 3 in the 2+2 celebrety department as I got to meet Mason at the mirage on thurs. He now has a face to put with the "hillbilly"s posts. I told him to say hi to Ray and David for me. I'll catch you guys next time. Thanks for a great forum.

10-30-2001, 08:21 PM
hillbilly,

I will soon be in Vegas for a week. I planned a similar approach. Playing 4-8 and then 6-12 and if I get up some move on to a higher stake game. However with my lack of experience (less than 100 hours of play, and losing at that) other posters have recommended that I not play higher than 4-8. I will go along with that advise unless I happen to get 3 to 4 hundred up if that is at all possible at the 4-8 level. Maybe over a few days with some good cards and some luck perhaps.

Did you play any 6-12 and if you did how did, it compare with the 4-8 game?

I was also maybe thinking of trying a tournament as you did. How was the style of play there by most?

I'm hoping to catch sight of some of the pros there also. Anyway it should be a lot of fun so long as I don't lose all my bank roll which is not all that large.

Thanks, RL

10-31-2001, 10:56 AM
Hey RL, there is no shame in playing 4-8 holdem, and don't kid yourself, there are many solid players at these tables waiting to take your money if you play poorly. and yes it is possible to get up 3-4 hundred playing 4-8. Those games I sat in at Bellagios had MANY pots averaging 80-100 dollars. (until the live ones left)

The o'rleans spreads a 6-12 game but I never made it over there. I think it is your best bet for a tourney experience as they offer alot of 20 dollar buyins. Luxor and Mandalay bay also offer low buyin tourney opportunities

best of luck to you RL