PDA

View Full Version : WTF, Portishead?

DavidC
07-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Hey guys...

I'm listening to my buddy's music and one of the tracks sounds like a DJ set, 58 minutes long , and is called "Portishead - mixhead1".

So, I'm curious if portishead is:

-A DJ like herbalizer, kid koala, etc.
-A hip hop group (?)
-a trance group like massive attack
-not what I'm currently listening to... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hamish McBagpipe
07-15-2005, 09:43 PM
Gloomy Scottish trip-hop band, though that genre is long dead. Compared to Massive Attack frequently. Sneaker Pimps, more upbeat, probably the better band of the genre.

DavidC
07-15-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gloomy Scottish trip-hop band, though that genre is long dead. Compared to Massive Attack frequently. Sneaker Pimps, more upbeat, probably the better band of the genre.

[/ QUOTE ]

cool, thanks.

Pretty neat set, anyways...

lucas9000
07-15-2005, 11:13 PM
portishead is awesome.

Argus
07-16-2005, 05:03 AM
Portishead did have a DJ as part of their group: Andy Smith. This may be a mix of his mislabeled as portishead's work. I strongly recommend you check out their two albums, Dummy and Portishead. They are one of my favourite groups; Beth Gibson's voice is haunting.

fluxrad
07-16-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sneaker Pimps, more upbeat, probably the better band of the genre.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sneaker Pimps only had one or two good songs. If you listen to their stuff after the Kelli Dayton left the band, it's terrible. I definitely like 'em, but I wouldn't say they're the best of the genre.

Massive Attack's Mezzanine is the best trip-hop album out there by far, followed by Portishead (take your pick with Dummy or the self-titled album). Interestingly, from what I've heard, Portishead have continually rejected the "trip hop" label.

Hmm...time to break out the ipod.

Hamish McBagpipe
07-16-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sneaker Pimps only had one or two good songs. If you listen to their stuff after the Kelli Dayton left the band, it's terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the last part that they suck w/o her. But the Becoming X album is pretty good throughout, IMO. I have listened to only some Massive Attack. Mezzanine seems to be the "main" album, I like Angel and a couple of other tracks but I think I'll check some of there other stuff out. I don't see how a lot of people compare their sound to Prodigy (one of my fav's). I suspect MA's other stuff will still be better than Portishead. Dummy is Portishead's "main" album for sure and the other stuff I find tough to listen to. Might give their other stuff another go, but I'm scared.

afk
07-16-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Portishead did have a DJ as part of their group: Andy Smith. This may be a mix of his mislabeled as portishead's work. I strongly recommend you check out their two albums, Dummy and Portishead. They are one of my favourite groups; Beth Gibson's voice is haunting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a few friends that consider Dummy to be one of the sexiest albums ever made. I must say, I think it's pretty sexy.

djshawk
07-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Mezzanine isn't Massive Attacks best album. Blue Lines is sublime, you should give it a listen. Protection is also a belter.

Mason Hellmuth
07-17-2005, 06:55 PM
Also, Portishead is working on a new album (their first in eight years). link (http://pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-01/21.shtml)

lucas9000
07-18-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the live album is very good as well. dummy is especially amazing.