PDA

View Full Version : Fold AK preflop?

jrad1006
07-15-2005, 08:11 PM
I'm in the small blind with AKo. The second position player (capable of raising with a hand as weak as 99) raises, and the cutoff player (3 bet before with A2o..) re-raises. There are 7.5 bets in the pot (10 if I call and the first raiser calls) and I am paying 1.5 bets. Over 5-1.

I fold.

I admit I was playing tight, influenced by the fact that I was down a bit of money, and the fact that if I missed the flop I would be charged a lot to draw, regardless of what my opponents had. Additionally, I am in the worst position possible.

I usually wouldn't fold AK preflop, but in this situation I thought it might be the best move. Any comments? Was I way too tight?

kross
07-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Wow, terrible fold. You said yourself CO could 3-bet with A2o. He's giving his money away, get yours in there with the best of it.

If you cap, it will face the original raiser with calling 2 more cold. He MAY fold weaker holdings like AJo or KQo, which would leave you heads-up with the chip spewer. How much better do you want it?

Of course you need to connect with the flop, but so does everyone, unless they have the big pocket pairs. The nice thing about AK is that you only need to hit the flop once to have a strong hand (TPTK), where as everyone else will most likely need to hit the flop twice to have a strong hand, unless they have a pocket pair, in which case they are drawing to 2 outs against TPTK.

-- Kevin

The Goober
07-15-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the small blind with AKo. The second position player (capable of raising with a hand as weak as 99) raises, and the cutoff player (3 bet before with A2o..) re-raises. There are 7.5 bets in the pot (10 if I call and the first raiser calls) and I am paying 1.5 bets. Over 5-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you know the answer to this question. Even if the first guy is only raising big pairs, you still likely have 2 overcards to his hand. Chances are good that you have the cutoff dominated and he's just dead money that sweetens the pot. I would only ever fold here if the cutoff was a very tight player. Against the right players (you don't mention how these guys play post-flop) I would cap it and lead the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
I admit I was playing tight, influenced by the fact that I was down a bit of money

[/ QUOTE ]

You were on tilt. It happens to everyone, and weak-tight tilt is a lot less expensive than lag tilt, but this is probably a sign that you should take a break and try to shake off your losses. How would you have played this hand if you had been crushing the table for a couple of hours? What if you had just sat down?

shant
07-15-2005, 08:45 PM
Hi. Cap.

baronzeus
07-15-2005, 08:46 PM
Cap. Folding big hands preflop is -EV

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, CO calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB folds, CO calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (6.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

NickRegino
07-15-2005, 09:26 PM
call the 3 bet maybe even cap, let your opponent make the mistakes. I play AKo and AKs very aggressively. But i would not cap PF i usually only take it to a 3-bet but folding it PF is very tight.

deetle
07-15-2005, 09:50 PM
Never fold this to the type of players you describe. With the info you gave you easily have both players dominated. I would cap this but you at least need to call and lead the flop

Neal_Schon
07-15-2005, 09:56 PM
Dont. Stop. A-rockin!

pauliewalnuts
07-15-2005, 11:07 PM
Even the tightest players in the world wouldnt fold in this spot.

imported_CaseClosed326
07-15-2005, 11:31 PM
To the OP, cap, it.

And to baronzeus wtf?

jrad1006
07-15-2005, 11:48 PM
Yeah.. I pretty much knew that. End board missed me completely, but I know that has nothing to do with it.

In hindsight (I posted this right after the hand) it was terrible. I think the original raiser had 99, and he won the pot on the river without a showdown.

Thanks, I won't make the same mistake again

baronzeus
07-16-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
To the OP, cap, it.

And to baronzeus wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was an accident. I was 8 tabling and not paying attention

baronzeus
07-16-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Even the tightest players in the world wouldnt fold in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I usually fold QQ to a raise. My VPIP is 2.

pauliewalnuts
07-16-2005, 12:35 AM
Youve got quite the attitude. Hope that works out for you.

I dont know if this someone else's hand or yours a long time ago, but I dont see the relevance in posting it. Everyone knows to raise this here. Its like a bad beat post. No one cares if you used to fold QQ to a steal raise.

Bill C
07-16-2005, 12:54 AM
Hi JRAD,

Welcome to the forum!
Don't ever fold that hand pf, jrad. Cap if you can, or call the cap, betting for value.
If you haven't had the chance yet to read SSHE, by all means get a copy and read it.
Good luck, and keep punchin'!

bill c

baronzeus
07-16-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Youve got quite the attitude. Hope that works out for you.

I dont know if this someone else's hand or yours a long time ago, but I dont see the relevance in posting it. Everyone knows to raise this here. Its like a bad beat post. No one cares if you used to fold QQ to a steal raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, it was a joke, I was 8 tabling, and I thought it was QJo but it was QQo, and by the time I caught it I was already clicking.