PDA

View Full Version : Question about chopping

Meatmaw
07-15-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2 - Chopping the blinds - If it gets folded around to the blinds many players like to 'chop' which is just pulling back your own blind and NOT playing the hand out. You are not supposed to look at your hole-cards and then decide whether or not you want to chop based on what you have. You either chop with that opponent or you don't.
I've seen some internet-players look at their hole-cards and decide that they don't want to chop for that specific hand because they are holding AA. This is a horrible breach of the etiquette and you will not be looked upon favorably. It is NOT a good idea to do this. You are allowed to 'not chop'. But if you are a 'non-chopper' then you are ALWAYS a non-chopper even when you get 72o. You don't get to pick and choose based on your hole-cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regarding this, I never wait to look at my cards, so it's impossible for me to not know them when it comes around to my turn. I'm assuming this etiquette isn't going so far as to say that as BB I *should* wait to look at my cards just for the sake of the chop.

So, given that, if the SB is the one asking if i want to chop, then is it wrong if I say no because I know I have AA, and then, on a later hand, when he asks me again, say yes because i have 27o? According to the quote above if it's polite to either always chop or never chop then the assumption would be the SB can simply not bother asking and if they want to ask and I agree, isn't everyone happy?

I just fail to see what harm there is in both looking at their blinds and deciding if they want to split it or not based on that. I can't see myself taking offense at a BB or SB ever saying 'no thanks' sometimes and 'ok' other times. Sounds touchy, but then I am not a B&M regular, so I'd welcome your opinions on this.

csuf_gambler
07-15-2005, 07:44 PM
you either always chop or never chop. don't be one of those dicks that does selective chopping.

Yarney
07-15-2005, 07:53 PM
Chopping isn't a way to weasel out of poor hands, it is meant as a way to speed up the game and avoid heads up pots which are rarely cost productive.

-Yarney

Meatmaw
07-15-2005, 08:44 PM
Does this mean that if I am BB and the SB raises me w/o a word, then the next time it is folded around, I should make it an issue if he asks to chop (or at least politely decline every time regardless of what my usual behavior is)? What would you guys do?

Similarly, if I ask for a chop as SB, then the next time around should I take issue if I go to confirm the chop and he goes "no i'd like to play"? How do you guys deal with this in as justice-driven but non-fish-driving way?

And how often do you see this etiquette violated? I'd imagine many touristy players are clueless about this, as I am/was.

ononimo
07-15-2005, 08:51 PM
as you know, chopping is a choice, not an obligation. HOWEVER, B&M etiquette (and for some cardrooms, the house rules) require that you be consistent with the application of that choice ... in other words, always chop or never chop - chopping only your bad hands is NOT an appropriate option.

the best way to avoid any confusion is to ask the players to your immediate left and right if they chop AS SOON AS YOU SIT DOWN at the table. they will either say "yes - always" or "no - never" and then you will know where they stand. repeat this process whenever a new player is seated to your immediate left or right and you should be ok.

as for frequency of violations, i frequently come across people who are clueless regarding the practice of chopping but catch on once it is explained to them. those who try to selectively chop are quickly admonished by the rest of the table.

The Goober
07-15-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does this mean that if I am BB and the SB raises me w/o a word, then the next time it is folded around, I should make it an issue if he asks to chop (or at least politely decline every time regardless of what my usual behavior is)? What would you guys do?

[/ QUOTE ]

When he raises me the first time, I'd say "you don't chop?" Its possible that he didn't notice that there were no callers, and he'll just take it all back and chop, otherwise he'll have to say "no, I don't chop". If he tried to chop later, I'd say "I thought you didn't chop?" If he's unclear on the idea, usually the dealer and/or the rest of table will jump in and explain to him. The only time I've seen people selectively chop (and it not be a breach of etiquette) is when both players have a "jackpot hand" and then they will agree to just check it down.

Yarney
07-15-2005, 09:16 PM
It is a good idea to politely ask if the person is familiar with the concept of chopping, and then go on to explain what it is and why it is done. I then go on to state that I will always offer a chop or accept a chop regardless of my cards, and I will not be offended if they do not want to chop. It has never gotten me in trouble to this point.

-Yarney

Luv2DriveTT
07-15-2005, 09:24 PM
Its ok to look at your hand, see that you have AA, and chop anyway. I've done it many times... it is the right and ethical thing to do.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Randy_Refeld
07-15-2005, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its ok to look at your hand, see that you have AA, and chop anyway. I've done it many times... it is the right and ethical thing to do.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Another chopping agreement I have seen is the players agree if either blind has AA he takes both blinds.

Jaquen H'gar
07-15-2005, 11:03 PM
The problem with your selective chopping is if you are in the BB and the SB is savvy. If you don't want to chop, he folds and you win the SB. If you want to chop, he raises and takes your BB. Nobody at the table will fault him for this angle shooting because you started it by selective chopping. With random hands, you'll want to chop more than not. You'll lose $. Then you will have to become more deceptive and lie about chopping then the SB will become more deceptive and on it goes. Just chop and be done with it.

Stellastarr
07-16-2005, 12:47 AM
Its either you chop or dont. Usually if everyone at the table is doing it. I go along with it. Keeps the game friendly.

steamboatin
07-17-2005, 10:58 AM
when i fist started playing poker, I never chopped. I had read somewhere in a poker book, I don't think it was a 2+2, that if you were a good player, you should go ahead and play because you had an advantage.

I believe that in low limit play chopping is +EV from a table image point of veiw. It helps build your "NIce Guy" image and I am absolutely convinced that a "Nice Guy" image is +EV.

The fishy players don't mind losing to a "Nice Guy" as much as losing to an ass, they are less likely to call your bluffs with junk because a "Nice Guy" probably wouldn't try to steal a pot and they will sometimes just check the river with the winner because you are a "Nice Guy".

KenProspero
07-17-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe that in low limit play chopping is +EV from a table image point of veiw. It helps build your "NIce Guy" image and I am absolutely convinced that a "Nice Guy" image is +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

BigBaitsim (milo)
07-17-2005, 03:03 PM
You either always chop or never chop. To do otherwise is a gross breach of etiquette.

The exception is shorthanded play. With 6 or fewer at the table I don't chop, but once we go shorthanded I always tell the other players that I don't chop shorthanded.

d10
07-17-2005, 03:42 PM
It's also +EV in the monetary sense. A typical small stakes B&M game is going to charge 10% rake up to a capped amount. With only 2 players putting money in, the rake is rarely capped, so you're usually looking at losing 10% of the pot when you win it. You'd have to be sitting next to a horrible player to have enough of an edge over him to make up for that.