PDA

View Full Version : A Poker Laptop - Config?

winker
07-15-2005, 06:53 PM
Okay, this is going to sound dumb ... but bear with me.

I have a wife and she enjoys it when we watch TV together. The thing is, I'd much rather be playing poker than watching 'Sex in the City' re-runs. Our computer is located in our bedroom (small 1 bedroom apartment). She has said repeatedly, she doesn't care if I'm sitting on the couch reading a book, listening to music, or playing poker on a laptop. She just wants to be 'with' me. I can understand that, in a strange way, although we still bicker about it a little. The thing is... I don't have a laptop. So, rather than let this become a wedge that will drive us apart, I'm willing to just bite the bullet and buy the laptop... what is the lowest specs that I would need to run 3 tables and pokertracker at once?

Should I gamble and get a refurbished computer?
Should I just stop whining and pony up the $700 for a 1.3 GHz system?

I'm kind of unsure how much I need since I'd be using this for just poker. The last question... is this stupid or brilliant? (Since I'll be spending money to be doing the same thing I could only 15 feet away, but in ANOTHER ROOM.)

smoore
07-16-2005, 03:07 AM
As a guess, I think you can do it on a 1ghz system without any lag, be prepared to have 512MB of memory in it. The expensive part is going to be the UXGA display so you can have 1600x1200. If you already play with overlap and don't care you should be able to get a craptop with 500mhz and a 1024x768 display for about $300... just run pokertracker on your "normal" computer and access it from the craptop for PV or whatever.

07-24-2005, 12:40 AM
Check out www.tigerdirect.com (http://www.tigerdirect.com)