PDA

View Full Version : Please help me make the right decision next time...

patssoxceltsfan
07-15-2005, 06:43 PM
Here's the situation, I'm fairly short stacked (about 1600 chips) in a $10 sit and go. The blinds are now at 200-400 and I'm in the small blind. I get dealt KQs and everyone folds to me.

What I did: I raised the minimum, so it's 800 to my left. He was a solid player, the only time I'd seen him go all in was with two queens against another player who went all in earlier. He hardly ever raised pre flop and I took him to be a fairly tight solid player.

He re raised me all in, I called. It turned out he had AK and of course beat me taking me out in fourth place.

My thoughts are that next time I'm in this situation I should go all in and not do a minimum raise. A minimum raise is a waste of time if I'm going to call no matter what he does anyway. I think next time I'm in this situation I should just go all in, if he would fold any hand at all that is better statisticaly such as A3 or 33 then I become a favorite.

I just have this nagging feeling that with a passive player I should have just called the minimum and then folded to any raise. I think this is incorrect though because I'm unlikely to run into a better hand (I know it's about 15%?) and I'm not likely to get a better hand since I'll be blinded out in four hands.

Is the right decision always to go all in with a situation like this and take my chances that he will have a worse hand and fold? I'd like to think that he'd have a worse hand and call but with this player I thought that unlikely.

eric5148
07-15-2005, 06:55 PM
There's a forum for one table tournaments.

patssoxceltsfan
07-15-2005, 07:14 PM
Would it really matter what type of tournament it is? That was background fluff.

stone_7
07-15-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's a forum for one table tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

That being said you had 2.5 the blinds and antes. It has been push or fold time for a long time. I am pushing or folding any hand I am playing here with less than 2500.

Finally NEVER EVER EVER EVER min raise under any circumstances. your dik will fall off if you do.

07-15-2005, 11:07 PM
How many players were in this sit and go? If you were down to short hand play ie 2 or 3, king queen is very strong. It would be unlikly you would find a better hand in the next couple of rounds than king queen. Being up against ace king is just unlucky. Even if you went all in, the player would have almost certainly have called you, considering this is short hand.

Was this player also short stacked? Ace king against a middle pair is roughly 50 50, slightly infavour of the middle pair. If you went all in pre flop, short stacked, your basically advertising the fact you either have a pair, or ace high. He doesn't want you to double up, so if for example only 1st place and 2nd place get paid, and he is roughly middle stacked, an all in pre flop may have pushed him out of the pot, soly on the basis he should expect to lose 50% of the time against a middle pair.

As it turned out you were out of position and had already committed a large portion of your stack pre flop to the pot. You kinda had to call his all in.

King queen is a trouble hand you should expect to occasionally lose big pots to. You were really just unlucky in this situation. If you were in position and he went all in, it's a hand you might consider folding.