PDA

View Full Version : Holden to write a sequel to The Big Deal

TylerD
07-15-2005, 06:38 PM
There's an interview with Anthony Holden on The Poker Channel and he's announced that he is writing a sequel to The Big Deal ('The Bigger Deal') where he's going pro from the end of this WSOP to the beginning of the 06 WSOP.

Should be a good read as The Big Deal is my probably my favourite non-theory poker book.

Popinjay
07-16-2005, 12:50 AM
I hope he worked on his poker game. Honestly he didn't read like a very good player in The Big Deal. This could be Jackpot Jay part 2.

Andy B
07-17-2005, 03:23 AM
I don't get the impression that Jim McManus is much of a player, either, but I found Fifth Street absolutely compelling. Fifth Street is my favorite poker book, and Big Deal is probably fifth or sixth on my list. I would love to see Holden write another book, even if he still hasn't learned how to play.

byronkincaid
07-17-2005, 05:41 AM
I wonder if after reading David Ross, Dynasty and dozens of other "year as a poker pro" type posts, the book will seem as good to a 2+2er as his last one did all those years ago. I think this might have something to do with the barryg criticism as well.

Mason Malmuth
07-17-2005, 05:55 AM
Hi Tyler:

I had a couple of conversations with Tony Holden a few years back. He was first class and I'm looking forward to his new book.

Best wishes,
mason

Mason Malmuth
07-17-2005, 05:57 AM
Hi byronkincaid:

There is no question that with all the new and different poker books entering the market, the day of the mediocre poker book being successful is probably over. But I suspect Holden is up for the challenge.

best wishes,
Mason

Andy B
07-17-2005, 02:40 PM
Never read much by davidross, but Holden is a much better writer than Dynasty. Not as good as McManus, but better than most, including all of the guys who write strategy books.

Andy B
07-17-2005, 02:43 PM
You know the industry and I don't, but is this really true? It seems to me that a mediocre poker book would stand a better chance of selling n copies today than it would have ten years ago, simply because the market is so much bigger.

Mason Malmuth
07-17-2005, 09:30 PM
Hi Andy:

For a book to sell n copies, it has to make the book shelves of the major chains. In my opinion, most poker books coming onto the market today won't be able to do this because of limited shelf space. And the ones that do make the shelves, but don't sell well, will be quickly replaced by others.

best wishes,
Mason

PokerPaul
07-18-2005, 09:23 AM
when i first read his book years ago i did mildly enjoy it, only for the novelty of living vicariously through someone else for a year as a tourney poker pro.

To be honet though, after a while it got kind of boring since he didnt seem to accomplish much during that time.

Now it would just seem like following a mediocre's player year on tournament trail, without ever making it very far or deep in meaningful tournaments.

Turning Stone Pro
07-18-2005, 11:49 AM
I first read Big Deal on my first trip to Vegas, it must have been 1991 or 1992. I bought the book to read on the flight, and fell in love with it. It is by far my favorite poker book -- I pick it up to this day when I'm having trouble sleeping and need an enjoyable read to ease my mind.

I read the book through law school in the mid-1990s, when I needed a break from torts and the Rule Against Perpetuities, read it when taking breaks studying for the MO and NY bar exams, read it when trying to relax in the middle of week-long jury trials, trying to remind myself that there is a life away from the case at hand, and if I could hold it together for a few more days, I could be there.

I met and played cards against several of the people mentioned in the book, I sat in a 30-60 game with Puggy Pearon and Jack Keller at the Bellagio in 1999, the night after I read about both in Big Deal, an experience that I will never forget. Every time I read the book, I think back to that game, and the time I ran a total bluff on a former World Champ. Not a "big deal" to most, but for me, at the time, it was the coolest thing in the world.

While perhaps not a great literary work and certainly not a learned treatise on poker, I love the book because it takes me away . . away from the nerve-racking tribulations of litigation and medium-to-high-stakes poker. It allows me to unwind, to calm down, and to imagine.

I can't wait for the sequel.

TSP

jakethebake
07-18-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope he worked on his poker game. Honestly he didn't read like a very good player in The Big Deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the exact same thing, but it was still a great read.