PDA

View Full Version : 1st live LIMIT tourney advice needed (PPM)

Big Ray
02-19-2003, 01:33 PM
Hi, I will be playing in my first live limit holdem tournament in less than 2 weeks and I was hoping I could get some tips or advice. I have read the recent NL post on this subject which was very helpful, however limit holdem is somewhat different.

To be more specific the tournamant is the Party Poker Million so I'm going right in at the deep end. Any advice with bearing to last years tournament would also be greatly received.

I have alot of poker experience online and I'm sure I can give a good account of myself if I can get <font color="red"> </font color> settled into the game early on. I'm planning on playing a cash game on the boat as soon as i can to gain some experience. I have tried to find a game locally but the nearest is about 250 miles away and unfortunatly I can't get there before I leave.

On a different note I was also wondering how much extra spending money (on top of the $500 prize money) will be needed for the boat and the shore excursions.

Thanks, Ray.

cferejohn
02-19-2003, 03:35 PM
I've been playing the single table limit tournaments and doing quite well. I realize this is different than the multi-table because you will be more or less a full table until (knock on wood) the last couple tables. The biggest mistake I see players making is calling too much. In the early going, you can probably play some drawing hands like you would in a low limit game, but as the blinds get higher, stealing them becomes much more important. I can't even count the number of times I've seen it folded to the SB and they have completed. This is (obviously, I think) a terrible play since it a) deprives you of the chance to win immediately, b) gives the BB with crap cards a chance to see 3 more for free, and c) more or less says "I have something mediocre". I would often raise as the BB in this postion, then bet out on the flop and take it.

I guess I would say that if you are going to call, you need to have a damn good reason. A raise is almost always a better option since it nearly always has a chance to win the pot right there.

Sorry if that's all in the 'no duh' category, but that's the mistake I have seen most often in online and live limit tournaments.

Oh, one other thing that may be different from a ring game is that you really want a tight image, especially when the blinds are big, because you want people to respect your raises. Generally, whenever I successfully blind steal with something strong, I will show it. I want opponents to feel good about their laydowns in this environment.

Big Ray
02-20-2003, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the post, however I was looking for replys more on the fact that I'm shifting from online to live play. I'm a consistant winner online but I'm afraid I maybe walked all over in a live game.

Always good to refresh on the gameplay though.
Thanks, Ray.

ohkanada
02-20-2003, 05:51 PM
If you are experienced in on-line multitable tournies then you should be fine from a pure playing standpoint. I would think the big things you will notice in no particular order:

1) Better players.
2) Easier to bluff and bet on-line compared to live players.
3) Tells. Associated with #2. On-line there are very few tells. Live there may be many. Some players will stare at you in key situations so you need to have the imfamous "poker face".
4) Live is slower.
5) Rounds are likely longer which is somewhat compensated by #4.
6) Any on-line methods you use to track players during tournaments are gone in live play. Although you can make notes it is more difficult live and you may miss something.

Good luck!

Ken Poklitar

cferejohn
02-21-2003, 05:52 PM
Sorry I misunderstood where you were coming from. I'm kind of in a similar boat. I do quite well at the single table tournaments (my schedule usually keeps me from entering the multi-table ones), and I have started occasionally playing in live tournaments. I'm not sure I would agree about the note about better players (but I've only played 3 live tournaments), but I would say the bad players tend to be more aggressive.

The biggest thing is definitely picking up tells and trying not to have any yourself. I try to be very concious of my body whenever I'm in a situation where I may or may not be bluffing. I try to look in the same place (usually at the dealer button or some random chip), and breathe normally.

One general tell that I've picked up is that when a player acts jittery or nervous, he is rarely bluffing (I remember one player in particular who would always start bouncing his leg whenever he had a good hand).

Mike Caro has said that when a player is bluffing, he usually gets very rigid. I've noticed some players where that seems to be true, but I've also noticed some players who are just the opposite (don't know if it is because they are aware of this tell or just how they are).

Anyway, sounds like we're in a similar boat (although it sounds like you have more multi-table tourney experience). Good luck!