PDA

View Full Version : checkraise 4th?

rickieO
07-15-2005, 02:11 PM
im in tightly structured 15/30 stud game. ($1 ante, $5 BI)

the players play too loose, so im content to wait a bit. though, i find myself with split aces, 2 off the tight BI(2c), and a tight, solid player between us who shows a 9s, spades are live. i call, he calls. 4th st, i blank, he catches an offsuit j, BI catches a kh. i check, he bets, BI folds, i raise.

suggestions?

the rickiebear

CJC
07-15-2005, 02:26 PM
If you are going to try a checkraise, then do it on 5th on the big-bet. ( unless your call on 4th is going to scare him from betting 5th of course )

I am confused, you said the game is loose.. To me.. it is even more important to raise on 3rd to try and protect your hand then. ( however it is fine as a variance play dpending on what action has taken place over several hands before )

Where does one find a 15 game with only a dollar ante?

CJ

rickieO
07-15-2005, 03:49 PM
you misunderstood, i said the game was playing too loose for the ante structure. i was afraid that calling 4th would scare this solid player. and i didnt want just the antes. thanks for the input.

vintage_sara
07-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Now you've got it heads up with a tight solid player...Is this player also aggressive and will take up the betting if you back off.

There are so many ways to play this hand and I would play it differently depending on the player and what I caught with the ace on 4th...What can you represent and how much can you trap and confuse this good player. One thing you didn't say is what you caught on 4th street other than it was a blank...was it suited? Was it connected to your ace? What would be your opponents perception of the card you caught not yours?

jon_1van
07-15-2005, 04:25 PM
What a rediculous structure.

If he's any good this is an ok line. But if he'll bet into you on 5th after you call him on 4th you should call and checkraise 5th.

I'll often raise/bet 4th in hopes of getting a free card.

rickieO
07-15-2005, 05:27 PM
a blank in this situation would be any non-suited, non high card, or one thats very dead.

the player is solid, and he knows id only start with aces or a three flush. id steal-raise with high cards. he doesnt know that id also steal with a three flush.

i figure that hed have no qualms about giving my broken 3 flush a free card on 5th if i hit a blank. hed also want to check behind possible aces, but im not sure if my call would lead him to believe i had the latter hand.

thanks, everyone.

the rickiebear

rickieO
07-15-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What a rediculous structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, it is a bit rediculous. i stumbled upon this home game, and had no interest until i saw the inappropriate looseness of the majority of players.