PDA

View Full Version : Moderating MHNL....

AZK
07-15-2005, 02:03 PM
Hey everyone,

A few of you suggested I start a thread with what I plan to do as a moderator, concerns, etc...

To be honest, I haven't really come up with a set plan. Ideally, I don't want to have to regulate everything that is said/done on this forum. I'm an active reader here, so I see everything that gets posted. For now, I plan on removing all non-MHNL content, be it WPT stuff or 1/2 NL hands.

I might delete threads/posts where posters are just flaming each other (i.e. fimbul vs ice last week) since it doesn't really contribute in a positive manner to our forum. I'd also consider moving certain threads where the decisions are so obvious that it could easily be answered in SSNL.

I'm writing this because I want to know what you guys want done by a moderator for this forum. I'd like to hear your suggestions for ways to improve this forum. Does anyone think we should set up a FAQ for newbies? We could include a few famous threads, a few guidelines for posting, maybe some theory threads, etc... Thoughts?

Also, if at any point if you have concerns about me, another poster, certain threads, don't hesistate to shoot me a PM and let me know.

Thanks.

AZK

fsuplayer
07-15-2005, 02:09 PM
It was pretty much agreed upon in the first moderator thread that 2/4NL and lower should be posted in the small stakes unless the stacks are very deep (150BB+).

thanks for stepping up AZK.

thabadguy
07-15-2005, 02:12 PM
I think having a FAQ would be a good idea, also links to some older threads that were worth reading("gold") would be nice, for some1 like me who joined mhnl not too long ago.

turnipmonster
07-15-2005, 02:17 PM
I think there should be a sticky faq for new readers saying what does and does not belong in the forum. outright removing threads I think is a bad idea, lock them with a note as to why they're locked. I think nonstrategy gossip posts (i.e. "what's spirit rock's new screen name?", etc) should be locked.

I don't think this:

[ QUOTE ]

I'd also consider moving certain threads where the decisions are so obvious that it could easily be answered in SSNL.

[/ QUOTE ]

is a particularly good idea. something that seems obvious to you may not in fact be obvious depending on the game being talked about. if it qualifies as a mid-high stakes game, please leave the thread alone, obvious or not.

just my .02, glad you're the moderator! looking forward to a better forum.

--turnipmonster

aggie
07-15-2005, 02:43 PM
I was glad to see you move the 1-2 thread earlier today /images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for 2-4 I think you can use you’re discretion. If it’s particularly enlightening or thought provoking I want it in our forum. If it’s crap I don’t mind you getting rid of it.

Posts that are straight hand histories (no converter and no commentary) should be booted. I gave up reading those a long time ago.

As far as slightly off topic stuff (such as humorous NLHE non-strategy stories etc.) I think extra latitude should be given to frequent respected posters. I like reading stories from you guys. From posters I’ve never seen here before, I have no interest.

As far as a sticky intro thread, I’m all for it. Some of those in other forums are very good. It should contain limits to be posted, posting tips, “hall of fame posts”, and anything else helpful to a newcomer to the forum. Of course this will take some effort so a volunteer to create this would be helpful (yes, I’m lazy).

Maybe more moderators? This should not be a full time job for AZK and obviously he’s not on 24/7…..FSU, ML4L, Turnipmonster, Yeti, Diablo (if he ever comes back), many others….Maybe we should give some of the great posters here some power (even if they choose not to use it).

Finally, thanks AZK for stepping up and taking on this responsibility.

turnipmonster
07-15-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Posts that are straight hand histories (no converter and no commentary) should be booted. I gave up reading those a long time ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. they're annoying, but I think they are on topic and as such shouldn't moved moved/deleted/locked.

--turnipmonster

punter11235
07-15-2005, 02:47 PM
Sticky FAQ would be great.
Also sth like "read this before you post" would be great but it may belong to FAQ.
I think that locking threads instead of deleting them is good idea too because there is some hope that ppl will stop posting when they see this (having thread locked is shame.. isnt it ? /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Best wishes !

AZK
07-15-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As far as a sticky intro thread, I’m all for it. Some of those in other forums are very good. It should contain limits to be posted, posting tips, “hall of fame posts”, and anything else helpful to a newcomer to the forum. Of course this will take some effort so a volunteer to create this would be helpful (yes, I’m lazy).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'll start working on this. I have a collection of 30 or so threads that I'll be putting in, if you or anyone else have good threads that they've saved, send me the links.

Allinlife
07-15-2005, 02:50 PM
please include winrate stuff on FAQ. they are posted on weekly bases.

aggie
07-15-2005, 03:04 PM
One more thing....before you lock a thread, write a one sentance post describing why your locking it.

aggie
07-15-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. they're annoying, but I think they are on topic and as such shouldn't moved moved/deleted/locked.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

I get what you're saying, BUT....If i wrote a 10-20 NLHE post in Chinese it would be on topic. Would that be okay?

I guess the point i'm trying to make is it's not that hard to make a post easily readable. If people want advice on a hand i don't think it's too much to require them to do so.

BluffTHIS!
07-15-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It was pretty much agreed upon in the first moderator thread that 2/4NL and lower should be posted in the small stakes unless the stacks are very deep (150BB+).

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I regularly play the 5/10 and 10/20 blind tables, I think that discussion of 2/4 hands is OK here. I say this because unless they are just taking a shot, a $400 buyin level is where you start to find very good players who are not just the typical weak-tight set farmers found at any level or the total fish found in greater numbers at the lower levels. This is a forum for high AND mid stakes, and lumping 2/4 games into the small stakes forum is a very arbitrary decision. Granted that the spread from 2/4 upto like 50/100 is very broad, but the greatest pool of players in this forum plays in 2/4 to 10/20.

aggie
07-15-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Although I regularly play the 5/10 and 10/20 blind tables, I think that discussion of 2/4 hands is OK here. I say this because unless they are just taking a shot, a $400 buyin level is where you start to find very good players who are not just the typical weak-tight set farmers found at any level or the total fish found in greater numbers at the lower levels. This is a forum for high AND mid stakes, and lumping 2/4 games into the small stakes forum is a very arbitrary decision. Granted that the spread from 2/4 upto like 50/100 is very broad, but the greatest pool of players in this forum plays in 2/4 to 10/20.

[/ QUOTE ]

If i had to vote one way or the other, i would vote that 2-4 stays. It's not like we have too many posts to deal with. As BluffTHIS! says if we sit around here waiting for 50-100 threads we're going to be waiting a long time. If it's a crap or low level question we always have the option to ignore it /images/graemlins/smile.gif

imported_bingobazza
07-15-2005, 03:55 PM
and if you did ditch 2/4, what would be the rationale for keeping 3/6?

Bingo

Dr. StrangeloveX
07-15-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with turnipmonster. I am a sometime violator of this etiquette because all of the converters flake out on me for some reason.

Chr
07-15-2005, 04:16 PM
If we always write the stakes in the title of the post, people who don't want to read certain stakes can just skip it.

Maybe something for the FAQ?

LuvDemNutz
07-15-2005, 04:24 PM
I vote to keep 2/4 because I still play there. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Skeme-
07-15-2005, 04:40 PM
I think there should be certain criteria to be met before making a post that isn't a converted hand history. The following should be must-haves:

Image suits instead of [Ah]
Appromixmate pot size on all streets
Stack sizes for both Hero and Villain
Game limits

I hate the ugly all text hand histories. They suck and I skip over them.

BobboFitos
07-16-2005, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I vote to keep 2/4 because I still play there. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, i haven't been playing much, but I agree on the same premise...

Apathy
07-16-2005, 02:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think there should be certain criteria to be met before making a post that isn't a converted hand history. The following should be must-haves:

Image suits instead of [Ah]
Appromixmate pot size on all streets
Stack sizes for both Hero and Villain
Game limits

I hate the ugly all text hand histories. They suck and I skip over them.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? maybe its just because I read them raw daddy all day but I like the unconverted hands just fine. All the information is there.

AEKDBet
07-16-2005, 05:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

thanks for stepping up AZK.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if you are playing scared money 2/4 so it seems like 5/10....?

ok ok just kidding - seriously thanks for stepping up to the plate AZK.
Take some swings at crappy posts like this one! Much love yo - AEKDBet

-Skeme-
07-16-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
really? maybe its just because I read them raw daddy all day but I like the unconverted hands just fine. All the information is there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it's just a matter of preference. Personally I cannot stand them. The black and white hurts my eyes and it's hard for me to follow the action.

barongreenback
07-17-2005, 05:59 AM
A few thoughts fwiw.
1. Be careful with your powers. Err on the side of not intervening.

2. Make a big distinction between bad threads and bad replies. I think you should just let a reply be unless it is abusive. Inappropiate, stupid or worthless replies are easily skipped over. The real menace are new threads that clog up the forum.

3. I don't think you should act on a judgement that something is obvious or simple. I'm pretty sure that the freedom to say stupid or incorrect things is useful to learning although it may be annoying. The alternative is having people afraid to speak their minds which would be a real disaster.

4. More important than moving posts from limits too low for the forum is deciding and making clear what this limit is. The poster may not know where his post belongs and may not post here had he known.

5. Don't assume that people are intentionally screwing up the forum. Let them know how they could do things better and give them a chance to change before taking other measures.

James

TreyOfLight
07-17-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A few thoughts fwiw.
1. Be careful with your powers. Err on the side of not intervening.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best post in this thread.

I'll sometimes visit a forum and tell within five minutes of reading that it has been overmoderated into sludge. I don't come back. Avoid that and you'll be fine.