PDA

View Full Version : Was this hand played weakly?

Pocket77s
07-15-2005, 02:01 PM
2/4 Hold'em B&M Card Room
Villian is a loose aggresseve. Will bet with almost anything and likes to raise to "just build a pot"
Hero is in MP1 with 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif UTG+1 calls, 2folds, Hero calls, MP3 calls, Villian calls, SB folds, BB raises, everybody calls. 12SB

Flop 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif everybody checks to villian who bets, everybody calls. 18SB

Turn: 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif Everybody checks to villian who bets, BB folds, every body else calls. 12BB

Fiver: 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif Everybody checks to villian who bets, everybody calls. 16BB /images/graemlins/spade.gif

sy_or_bust
07-15-2005, 02:04 PM
Raise preflop. If Villain wants to isolate himself, that's great.

W. Deranged
07-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Many an issue in this hand:

1. Slick move posting in which you are holding yourself as a hand.

2. Pre-flop raising should go through you mind if it might keep the pot short-handed and give you position, though in this situation with laggy villain left to act I like a call better. So that's nice.

3. Flop is a disaster. This is a really sweet flop for your hand; about as good as it gets if you don't get a set. With the two checks to you you must bet the flop. You are, in fact, hoping to get raised by villain in order to clear out the EP players and protect your hand. If you get raised, plan on three-betting. Only slow down if it get's capped.

The rest of the hand will play out completely differently if you play the flop aggressively. You should be prepared to play the turn agressively as well. You played the hand essentially in calling station mode, which is a horrible thing to do with a hand that is probably best but very vulnerable and holding little chance to improve.

Pocket77s
07-15-2005, 02:12 PM
Yeah, gimme the truth, the flop play was horrible. I'm not sure I liked the idea of raising in MP1 with 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif from a previous post. I did go to calling station mode. I put the PFR on an unimporved AK but those two fives on the board scared me, even so, had I bet the flop and got check raised, I still would have 3bet to get the villian out. I knew the villian would bet on anything also so I had to see him. I like your post. /images/graemlins/spade.gif

W. Deranged
07-15-2005, 02:23 PM
"I put the PFR on an unimproved AK but those two fives on the board scared me..."

1. Try to fight the habit of putting anyone on a single hand. Think in terms of ranges of hands. Putting the PFR on overcards is fine here but don't assume it's AK.

2. Don't be so afraid of flops. Trips are hard to hit. 5s get folded more often than other cards. Realize your hand will be the best a large percentage of the time--certainly more than your "fair share."

3. In general, playing a little too aggressively on an early street is not a huge mistake, particularly if you have a decent hand and there are tactical advantages to aggressive play (hand protection, gaining position, gaining information, etc...) Playing too passively is a huge mistake.

Never, EVER, start adopting the kind of thinking you'll here a lot at B+M SS tables: "I had a good hand, so I have to call, but someone could have a _____, so I can't raise."

I hear this often and this is the way many fish think about poker. Fish live in fear of getting raised and putting in one too many $2 bets. Good players willingly put in those $2 bets and live in fear of mistakes that allow their opponents to beat them cheaply.

In other words: Don't fear the fives on the flop. Fear the Q that's may come on the turn and beat you if you don't drive out the guy to your right playing Q8 off.

baronzeus
07-15-2005, 02:26 PM
Two things.

Raising 77 from this position is fine.

When the flop is bet to you, you MUST raise to protect your hand. There are a million redraws out there...I don't know what to tell you, because all of them hit.

Pocket77s
07-15-2005, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the input, I actually read that out of SSHE, trips are hard to hit because you know one player has to be holding one of two cards left in the deck. I'll keep that in mind to play my good flops more aggreesivley and to try putting my opponents on a range of hands rather than a specific hand and, narrow them down as the hand progresses. I've been trying to increase my aggression factor in these games. Looks like I need to look at these situations more. Thanks,

Pocket77s
07-15-2005, 02:42 PM
heh, heh, I know they all hit.

callmedonnie
07-15-2005, 06:09 PM
Bet the flop. When raised it is less likely everyone called. The turn was a terrible card. You have two outs and with this many people in the pot, someone has you beat. The pot isn't quite big enough to draw to. Sorry, but muck.

hellite
07-15-2005, 06:36 PM
In a live loose 2/4 game I probably would not raise 77 from this position unless I am first in and have a tight table image (if anyone is paying attention).

Flop: You have two choices-> (A)bet: this is a good choice. (b) check raise villain, followed by a cap if he 3 bets.

This should knock out at least on of the other players. Your best play is probably option (A) as villain likes to raise for fun and will help you protect your hand.