PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a domain hosting service

citanul
07-15-2005, 01:51 PM
Hey guys, be gentle, I know very little about how backend works at all.

I'm looking for a hosting provider that is good and reliable, preferably cheap, and has a decent package of software and the like. Having good support service there would be wonderful as well.

I also don't understand what the process is if I wanted to install software onto my webspace. Is that generally impossible unless you own the computer yourself? or do you just have to pay more for that? Should I look for someplace that has any software I would possibly want already installed?

Things I want to have are ~50-100 email addresses, a decent amount of total space, a decent amount of total transfer, asp (maybe), php, cgi. i don't know or really claim to understand if i want or prefer for any reason windows server or linux/unix servers.

So basically yeah, I don't know what I want, but presume that most of what I want to do (collaborative workspace/gallery/publishing) should be doable on almost any server?

citanul

Maulik
07-15-2005, 01:54 PM
let me start by saying I have Smarter Linux (http://www.smarterlinux.com) and their technical support is awesome.

Hopefully someone more technical can answer your questions. SL is a first rate company, call them and talk to them, they will address your needs.

mmbt0ne
07-15-2005, 02:00 PM
http://ace-host.net/

Unlimited subdomains, and email.

All sorts of crap. I've never had any downtime with them either in the 2+ years I've used it.

Right now, you can get 5GB space and 100GB bandwidth/month for $3.95/month if you sign up for 36 months. That's less than 1 tournament, not bad. Also, they do domain name registration, if you don't already have that.

Wes ManTooth
07-15-2005, 02:00 PM
The Computer Technical forum may be able to give you more answers.

asofel
07-15-2005, 02:01 PM
"Hey guys, be gentle, I know very little about how backend works at all."

you obviously don't read much OOT...first, you stick...oh nevermind...

citanul
07-15-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The Computer Technical forum may be able to give you more answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

holy crap, we have one of those?!

citanul

shant
07-15-2005, 02:34 PM
Check out mediatemple.com

I use these guys, and I know a lot of them personally. They are good people, and have excellent hosting services as well as great tech-support.