PDA

View Full Version : JJ, turn raise good or spewing?

steaknshake925
07-15-2005, 01:41 PM
Party Poker (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

villain is TAG thats a little on the tight side

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero raises, everyone folds except SB (villain) who calls.

Flop: 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero bets, SB raises, Hero calls.

Turn: 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB bets, Hero raises...

my reasoning for the turn raise is to try to get a free showdown on the river, and also charge SB if he's on a draw. i wouldve folded to a 3bet, and planned to fold to a river bet UI. my question is is this a good spot for this move? should we give credit to villain's flop CR for a Q? does anyone fold this turn? i didnt want to fold and thought that raising was the best way to continue the hand.

also, does anyone like any different lines for the flop?

JrJordan
07-15-2005, 01:45 PM
This is a great spot to do it. SB's c/r could be any high club, or even a 4/5 that thinks he's charging you for your draw. If a non-club hits the river, I might even be tempted to value bet but most likely just shut down after the turn raise.

GetThere1Time
07-15-2005, 02:26 PM
I like this line. If SB checks a /images/graemlins/club.gif river I would bet too. Am I nuts?

ihardlyknowher
07-15-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

villain is TAG thats a little on the tight side

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero raises, everyone folds except SB (villain) who calls.

Flop: 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero bets, SB raises, Hero calls.

Turn: 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB bets, Hero raises...

my reasoning for the turn raise is to try to get a free showdown on the river, and also charge SB if he's on a draw. i wouldve folded to a 3bet, and planned to fold to a river bet UI. my question is is this a good spot for this move? should we give credit to villain's flop CR for a Q? does anyone fold this turn? i didnt want to fold and thought that raising was the best way to continue the hand.

also, does anyone like any different lines for the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like this line, you have an easy fold to a 3-bet.

Also, if a non-/images/graemlins/club.gif hits on the river and Villain checks to me, I am very likely to value bet. Since he called your UTG raise from the SB, if he has a Q, he probably has a decent kicker; thus, he would value bet a non-/images/graemlins/club.gif river with a Q. In other words, if he checks a non-/images/graemlins/club.gif river, he most likely does not have a Q and YHIG.

Willluck
07-15-2005, 03:17 PM
not bad, I assume you are raising for a free SD. A lot of the times though, the flop c/r just means a weak Q, especially in 3/6. What level is this, BTW?

Edit: Sometimes trickier TAGs like to disguise strong hands with a flop c/r to induce further aggression.

sy_or_bust
07-15-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like this line. If SB checks a /images/graemlins/club.gif river I would bet too. Am I nuts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. Would you call a 5 here as SB? You'd have to run into a boisterous 99 or something to get any value, IMO.

Anyway, turn raise/fold is good. River brick - do you value bet? (I don't, but I miss some of these occassionally)

GetThere1Time
07-15-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. Would you call a 5 here as SB? You'd have to run into a boisterous 99 or something to get any value, IMO.

Anyway, turn raise/fold is good. River brick - do you value bet? (I don't, but I miss some of these occassionally)

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean as part bluff and part slim value bet

Jeffage
07-15-2005, 03:43 PM
I don't mind the turn raise at all, but beware of folding to a 3-bet. While correct most of the time, some players may 3-bet you here with something like A /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif...know your opponent. The other thing is, he's not going to fold a queen to a raise here, so accept that.

Jeff

steaknshake925
07-15-2005, 03:49 PM
my bad, it was 10/20

he called my turn raise. given his taggish stats i decided to give him credit for a weak Q. i figured 10 10 or 99 might 3bet preflop. we ended up checking through a blank river, and he showed AQ(!) to win.

Alobar
07-15-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since he called your UTG raise from the SB, if he has a Q, he probably has a decent kicker; thus, he would value bet a non-/images/graemlins/club.gif river with a Q. In other words, if he checks a non-/images/graemlins/club.gif river, he most likely does not have a Q and YHIG.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely disagree with this, after you raise the turn, most all opponents are not going to value donk bet a non club river with a just a Q, good kicker or no.