PDA

View Full Version : What's your play here: Wife's family get-together

2planka
07-15-2005, 01:01 PM
The Warden wants to drag me to a cookout at her cousin's house tomorrow. We haven't seen this cousin since our wedding (four years ago). The cousin's 5 year old kid has been battling cancer and is in remission. This cookout is in his honor.

The Warden is very good to me. She lets me play cards regularly, she's fine with me and the lads heading off to Vegas twice a year, and she basically lets me have plenty of fun, with very few strings attached.

But I still don't want to go to this damn cookout. The main reason is that I play in a baseball league and have a doubleheader on Sunday. I want to cut my lawn, do some yardwork, laundry, and do some other chores, then plop my tail on the couch and kick back.

I don't want to run halfway across the state to eat burgers with people we haven't seen in 4 years. I'm happy the kid is recovering, but I've never met the little guy.

So how should I play this?

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Do it.

hoopsie44
07-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Man, this is a no brainer. You have to go to the cookout.

M2d
07-15-2005, 01:07 PM
if your wife>your hand, then you have to go.

jakethebake
07-15-2005, 01:07 PM
We know you're going. You know you're going. Stop fighting it and just go. Take a sixer. You'll probably have fun.

2planka
07-15-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if your wife>your hand, then you have to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't make me choose!

wayabvpar
07-15-2005, 01:08 PM
She probably realizes that you don't want to go. If you go, try to have a good time, and don't bitch about it, you will score major points. One of those things you just gotta do when you are in a relationship.

MoreWineII
07-15-2005, 01:09 PM
I've been in your place so many times so I know how you feel. But the correct asnwer is clearly to go.

The Warden, who sounds like a splendid wife, will appreciate it.

DangerGoodson
07-15-2005, 01:09 PM
go , but demand she drives back and get pasted.

M2d
07-15-2005, 01:11 PM
how about this:
if
your wife+your hand>your hand

you have to go.

scream1158
07-15-2005, 01:19 PM
I wonder how mad your wife would be if she saw that you were posting on a poker forum asking for advice to get out of the family get-together. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ps. Obviously as guys we dont want to go to something like this and would rather play poker and watch tv all day but you gotta go

imported_CaseClosed326
07-15-2005, 01:20 PM
You have to go, and you have to smile.

2planka
07-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Okay, okay. I'll go.

The thing starts at 5:00 and it's a 90 minute drive. I have to be at the ballpark for 7:00 a.m. Sunday. I'd like to stipulate that we get out of this cookout by, say, 9:00 at the latest. Reasonable?

tech
07-15-2005, 01:31 PM
I'm all about weaseling out of family gatherings, but even I go to this one.

VBM
07-15-2005, 01:43 PM
for sure.

IndieMatty
07-15-2005, 01:50 PM
This thread should be required reading for the youngins.

BTW. How are you married for four years and NOT know the answer to this?

GO man. Have fun.

2planka
07-15-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How are you married for four years and NOT know the answer to this?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not the first time and won't be the last. I just really, really, really don't want to go to this thing. Why not consult the OOT oracle?

Edit: okay, I knew the answer, I admit it. One can always hope for bad advice, right?

turnipmonster
07-15-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm all about weaseling out of family gatherings, but even I go to this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

chas19
07-15-2005, 02:52 PM
Go, smile, have a good time and lay on the charm to her family. This will score you MAJOR points with the wife. Then when you get home maybe she'll let you...........

Nope can't do it.

IndieMatty
07-15-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How are you married for four years and NOT know the answer to this?

[/ QUOTE ]
okay, I knew the answer, I admit it. One can always hope for bad advice, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to use that line.

on_thg
07-15-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Edit: okay, I knew the answer, I admit it. One can always hope for bad advice, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fake an illness. "Honey? My left nut hurts!"

jakethebake
07-15-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fake an illness. "Honey? My left nut hurts!"

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a recipe for making sure they both hurt.

benza13
07-15-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Go, smile, have a good time and lay on the charm to her family. This will score you MAJOR points with the wife. Then when you get home maybe she'll let you stick it in her pooper!

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

And to the OP, you have to go, but leaving by 9 is a completely reasonable request.

swede123
07-15-2005, 03:12 PM
Definitely take one for the team here. Just look at the upside, cookouts usually mean free beer.

Swede

2planka
07-15-2005, 03:13 PM
Words of wisdom from limecat.

Shajen
07-15-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The cousin's 5 year old kid has been battling cancer and is in remission. This cookout is in his honor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't go. <font color="white"> Who am I kidding? You gotta dude.</font>

M2d
07-15-2005, 03:24 PM
make it 830. seriously. if you target 9, you won't get out of there until 930 at the earliest.

Sifmole
07-15-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Go, smile, have a good time and lay on the charm to her family. This will score you MAJOR points with the wife. Then when you get home maybe she'll let you........... SIIHP

[/ QUOTE ]

Finished your post.

benza13
07-15-2005, 03:26 PM
Nothing like being 15 minutes late... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

moondogg
07-15-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing like being 15 minutes late... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. If you are going to pad your post count and beat a dead horse with a tired, lame-ass, overplayed, predicatable joke, make sure you do it promptly.

And make sure it hasn't been done yet in this specific thread, especially if it's been done in every other damned thread so far.

on_thg
07-15-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's a recipe for making sure they both hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Bad advice requested, bad advice given.

phage
07-15-2005, 04:03 PM
Don't get pissy about leaving at a specific time. If you get back late or are a bit late for your double header(!) so be it. This is a family obligation and your wife will be happy for all your support (I'm guessing).

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-15-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
make it 830. seriously. if you target 9, you won't get out of there until 11:00 at the earliest.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

Seriously, I'd just write off the 7am game as a loss right now and tell the guys you'll make game 2.

SpearsBritney
07-15-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The cousin's 5 year old kid has been battling cancer and is in remission. This cookout is in his honor.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this thing has "snoozefest" written all over it. "Yay, look at cancer boy, he's alive! Let's eat hamburgers." Whoopie /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

dlk9s
07-15-2005, 06:49 PM
If you don't go, your wife should divorce you.

Besides, you never know, you might have a nice time.

kdog
07-15-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Man, this is a no brainer. You have to go to the cookout

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been to your house and met your wife. Nice lady, you're a lucky man. Go and have a good time.

Voltron87
07-15-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha well played

ChipWrecked
07-15-2005, 08:18 PM
=====The Warden is very good to me. She lets me play cards regularly, she's fine with me and the lads heading off to Vegas twice a year, and she basically lets me have plenty of fun, with very few strings attached.=======

You're already a lucky bastid.
Go.

2planka
07-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Got stuck at work late on Friday, then stuck in traffic on the way home (F-ing NASCAR race - half of connecticut was on the Mass Pike).

So I get into character and cheerily ask, "What time should we leave tomorrow for the cookout."

The Warden says, "Do you really feel like going?"

I say, "Of course. We haven't seen them in a while."

She says, "Cause I really don't feel like it. We have a lot of work to do around the house."

I said it was up to her, no big deal.

Win-win.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-18-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Got stuck at work late on Friday, then stuck in traffic on the way home (F-ing NASCAR race - half of connecticut was on the Mass Pike).

So I get into character and cheerily ask, "What time should we leave tomorrow for the cookout."

She says, "Cause I really don't feel like it. We have a lot of work to do around the house."

Win-win.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. Did the stars ever align for you on this one. You lucky bastard.

hyde
07-18-2005, 11:35 AM
I love a happy ending

or is that another thread?

2planka
07-18-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I love a happy ending

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

SuitedSixes
07-18-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Win-win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well played. You obviously recognized this trap and did not fall for it.

I wonder if your feelings would have been different if it weren't for the boy with cancer? In my mind that makes a big difference. I don't like being around sick people with terminal diseases (even if they are getting better). It's not that I think cancer is contagious . . . I just don't know how to feel or act and it makes me uncomfortable. My couch makes me comfortable.

2planka
07-18-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well played. You obviously recognized this trap and did not fall for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spidey sense.

jakethebake
07-18-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I love a happy ending

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The most recent handjob thread is here. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=2890648&amp;page=0&amp;view=colla psed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14&amp;fpart=1)

2planka
07-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Glue is glue, Jake.

Boris
07-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Do you and your wife really feel this way or are you just making funny for OOT? Is it really a pain in the ass to go show some love for the little guy with cancer?

M2d
07-18-2005, 12:43 PM
you owe fate a beer

Edit: how'd the doubleheader go?

sfer
07-18-2005, 01:40 PM
You know those hands where you don't raise the turn and fold to a 3-bet because sometimes you have the best hand and sometimes you will suck-out if you don't, well, ni han.

2planka
07-18-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how'd the doubleheader go?

[/ QUOTE ]

We dropped both games. It was also about 90 degrees and very humid, so I was wiped.

Game 1: scoreless heading into the bottom of the 8th. Our pitcher is tired, throwing mostly breaking balls. Drills a guy with two outs, single, double, and we're down 2-0. We tie it up in the top of the 9th (2-run single by me). We bring another pitcher in who gives up a jack in the bottom of the 9th.

Game 2: I go 3-4 with two doubles, but we get spanked 5-2. I bat 4th and led off three innings. The opposing pitcher had amazing stuff (for our league, anyway). Only one of the runs he gave up was earned.

We'll need to win 10 of our last 15 games to make the playoffs. Not looking good for the defending champs.