PDA

View Full Version : So, they want to control what you watch.....

wacki
07-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Found via /. of course. For those that don't know, Longhorn is the next Windows from Microsoft.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000143050582/

"Engadget has an interesting article regarding a new feature in Longhorn entitled PVP-OPM (Protected Video Path - Output Protection Management) which detects the capabilities of the display devices you are using and manages how (and if at all) content is sent to it. In short, this means that if Longhorn detects that your monitor is not "secure" enough, then your premium video content won't play on it until you buy one that is. Who gets to decide? The content providers of course." From the article: "So what will happen when you try to play premium content on your incompatible monitor? If you're "lucky", the content will go through a resolution constrictor. The purpose of this constrictor is to down-sample high-resolution content to below a certain number of pixels. The newly down-sampled content is then blown back up to match the resolution of your monitor. This is much like when you shrink a JPEG and then zoom into it. Much of the clarity is lost. The result is a picture far fuzzier than it need be."

discuss!

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-15-2005, 11:56 AM
This is teh suck!

wacki
07-15-2005, 11:58 AM
I wonder how many will switch to Macs/Linux because of this.

Freakin
07-15-2005, 12:04 PM
So if you're trying to play a DVD on a projector, it says no?

Freakin

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-15-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I predict somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 to 5 people.

CORed
07-15-2005, 12:08 PM
Linux

astroglide
07-15-2005, 12:10 PM
my guess: not many

expect this to happen on some level with hdtv sets that don't have hdcp-dvi/hdmi inputs as well, probably with hd dvd players. they might output something like 480p or 720i with component cables and 1080p via dvi/hdmi. analog outputs on high-resolution devices is considered a gigantic liability because capturing it is easy and the content can then be redistributed in high-quality form. if it goes out a digital output to a digital input and the stream is encrypted, it will be much more difficult to do. not that it probably won't get done.

stabn
07-15-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I predict somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 to 5 people.

[/ QUOTE ]

usmfan
07-15-2005, 12:31 PM
I'll take the under. However, this bites.

Zurvan
07-15-2005, 12:47 PM
I have a feeling this is a feature that is being blown way out of proportion, by an article with incomplete information.

This will likely be very similar to Macrovision protection, which basically prevents you from recording DVDs on to a VCR, or from your computer to a VCR. If you're not trying to record it, it shouldn't be a problem.

Of course, Macrovision isn't 100% perfect, and sometimes causes problems even if no VCR is in the loop, but it's pretty good.

astroglide
07-28-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...expect this to happen on some level with hdtv sets that don't have hdcp-dvi/hdmi inputs as well, probably with hd dvd players. they might output something like 480p or 720i with component cables and 1080p via dvi/hdmi...

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds22406.html

...The most interesting thing for people buying TVs at the moment is that Toshiba have stated that their HD-DVD Player will ONLY output high Def on the player's HDMI output (plus other digital connections) the analogue output will be downrezed to 480 lines... snap!

Cumulonimbus
07-28-2005, 09:33 PM
CONSPIRACY!