PDA

View Full Version : Passport required for trip to Mexico?

Freakin
07-15-2005, 11:29 AM
So I'm a dipshit and forgot to renew my passport. I'm leaving for Mexico on Wednesday, and I'm not sure if I can get it express renewed that quickly. Is a passport required, or just proof of citizenship? This (http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/brochures/brochures_1229.html#m) is all that Uncle Sam could tell me, but I don't want to chance it.

If you know that it is required, anyone know the fastest way to get a passport renewed, and how long it takes? I think my passport is from when I'm like 10 years old.

Freakin

IndieMatty
07-15-2005, 11:31 AM
License and birth certificate is fine in lieu of passport.

Freakin
07-15-2005, 11:36 AM
thank god. that would have sucked.

Freakin

IndieMatty
07-15-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
thank god. that would have sucked.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Bring your expired passport as well--JIC.

I was able to go to Canada with just my ID and nothing else a few months ago. And I flew.

Los Feliz Slim
07-15-2005, 11:38 AM
In LA it's very possible to get a passport in 12-24 hours. You can pay someone to deal with the BS or do it yourself, but it can be done.

Ulysses
07-15-2005, 12:38 PM
FYI, 24-hr passport renewal (http://www.americanpassport.com/)

ohkanada
07-15-2005, 12:51 PM
You may be okay now, but later this year you will need a passport for Canada and Mexico.

Ken

swolfe
07-15-2005, 01:02 PM
my girlfriend and i went on a cruise earlier this year and realized that we forgot our passports once we got to miami. the documents had made a big deal about the passport being required, so we showed up at the docks about 4 hours early to see if we'd be able to get on with only our driver's licenses.

it worked out...the woman behind the counter gave us a little bit of crap, but we got on and it was no big deal. coming back through customs the guy asked for the passport and why we didn't have it with us, then asked about what town and state we were born in, but let us through after that.

Eegs
07-15-2005, 01:53 PM
ummm yes...I was an idiot because a teacher of mine told me I didnt need a passport to go to mexico. So I was with my family at the airport over christmas break and we were getting ready to go to mexico. I didnt bring my passport because I thought i didnt need it and I didnt want to risk losing it. The ticket person would not check me in without my passport so I had to stay home an extra day and leave the next day WITH my passport.

Freakin
07-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Well if US Customs says proof of citizenship & ID is ok, then I'm going with that.

The same day uber-expedited service for renewal is great, but overpriced at $180. Thanks for the link, ElD.

Freakin