PDA

View Full Version : $109s - Real Ugly BB Hand

Unarmed
07-15-2005, 11:12 AM
I have ADD.
Villain doubled up once on 55 all-in PF, once on 88 all-in PF.
At least I didn't have to show it down. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t2420)
Hero (t1850)
UTG (t355)
MP (t1250)
CO (t1670)
Button (t2455)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t60) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t40</font>, SB calls t40.

Turn: (t140) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t80</font>, SB calls t80.

River: (t300) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t300</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t750

wuwei
07-15-2005, 11:15 AM
6 handed in level 2? nice.

I usually drop it after the flop call. If he checks behind on the turn, I'll bet a non-spade river.

edit: This is a situation where the speed of the call on the flop might lead me to play it like you did.

wiggs73
07-15-2005, 11:35 AM
I would just check/fold the flop or whatever other street it happens on. Blinds are so insignificant, I just don't see any need to get involved.

nokona13
07-15-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would just check/fold the flop or whatever other street it happens on. Blinds are so insignificant, I just don't see any need to get involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. I've gotten into much more trouble than it's been worth trying to push out what you know is very likely to be a mediocre holding. Just not worth it, especially against the typical call-station/donk.

willbb99
07-15-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. I've gotten into much more trouble than it's been worth trying to push out what you know is very likely to be a mediocre holding. Just not worth it, especially against the typical call-station/donk.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly

Newt_Buggs
07-15-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Villain doubled up once on 55 all-in PF, once on 88 all-in PF.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe that developing the discipline to not bluff these types of opponents, even in a really good spot, has helpped me improve. If he goes all in pf with 55, why would he fold king high or a gutshot to your bet?

The Venetian
07-15-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
6 handed in level 2? nice.

I usually drop it after the flop call. If he checks behind on the turn, I'll bet a non-spade river.

edit: This is a situation where the speed of the call on the flop might lead me to play it like you did.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be my line. Check-check the turn, then re-evaluate how he responds on river. No harm in taking a shot at the flop, though, like you did.

Unarmed
07-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Yeah, it definitely gives me a better read on what type of holding he has. If it goes check/check and he checks the river, its mine. The way I played it, I can't read anything into his check because I've been the aggressor the whole hand. I just feel like checking behind on the turn with these stacks is inconsistent with a made hand on my part. Then again, I do have nothing... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ZeroPointMachine
07-15-2005, 02:11 PM
I have always felt that check-folding these early SB-BB pots trains the SB that he can limp harmlessly against me with hands he won't defend for a raise. This is often worth T200-300 later when I snap him off. I adapted to this strategy after reviewing too many hands where I fell victim to FPS in the blinds.

schwza
07-15-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If it goes check/check and he checks the river, its mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

in that case i would check behind and try to beat a flush draw / straight draw. i don't think he's folding a 5 there, and i don't think he has a 3. i'd take one stab and give up. i'd like the bets better if you had something more like J high.

edit: but i still wouldn't like them much

wiggs73
07-15-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it definitely gives me a better read on what type of holding he has. If it goes check/check and he checks the river, its mine. The way I played it, I can't read anything into his check because I've been the aggressor the whole hand. I just feel like checking behind on the hand with these stacks is inconsistent with a made hand on my part. Then again, I do have nothing... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree with your bet on the river. But previous to that, I don't see the need not to check behind on the flop and turn. Given the way you played the hand though, I would have bet the river as well.

Unarmed
07-15-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i'd like the bets better if you had something more like J high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Keep in mind, one of my main reasons for betting the river would be to avoid showing trash like this down.

Unarmed
07-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Oh I can definitely just check/fold on every street. I just like f*cking around in the early stages. It's fun, profitable, and a great learning experience.

bigt439
07-15-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i'd like the bets better if you had something more like J high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Keep in mind, one of my main reasons for betting the river would be to avoid showing trash like this down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think this is a horrible reason to bet there. That has already been addressed in citanul's post about overvaluing image, but this is taking it pretty far I think. As for the hand I just don't really see a point in playing this the way you did, and I don't think you do either. He check and you bet the flop, that's fine and I do it alot, but when he calls you have to think about what he has. Almost definitely enough to call the turn (if he called with a 3, he'll probably do it again). I've been noticing a bizzarre pattern of stuborness in battles of the blinds like this. So what I'm saying is I don't think he's folding the turn that often, and if you're trying to bet the turn so you can bluff the river it's starting to look like FPS. If you had a read on this guy then it would be different. It in fact appears that you DO have a read on him and that it would indicate to not bluff him. This is why I feel you haven't really thought this hand through and should really try and think about things like this in the future. Make sure you have method to your madness.