PDA

View Full Version : B&M Newbie Guide- a bit harsh, don't you think?

Easy E
07-15-2005, 11:02 AM
I know it was a rant, but why scare off potential new B&M players?

If they think all of us are as cranky as Al, who are we going to get to play? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

CountDuckula
07-15-2005, 11:04 AM
I think the people who post here are more likely to consider what Al has to say rather than get huffy and decline to play B&M. If you look past the rantiness, there is some extremely good advice there that will keep a B&M newbie from pissing off the rest of the table.

-Mike

coffeecrazy1
07-15-2005, 11:08 AM
Besides, there is a subtle beauty to the acidity of Al's posts that newbies should come to admire as quickly as possible.

Porcupine
07-15-2005, 11:51 AM
I'm not one to be bothered by harshness, but it didn't come across as harsh to me.

Plus it may save someone from a kick in the nuts /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BottlesOf
07-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Hmmn, I know Al is working on v.2...

Al, maybe you'll want to make it a little less harsh? I leave it in your capable hands /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PocketJokers72
07-15-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know it was a rant, but why scare off potential new B&M players?

If they think all of us are as cranky as Al, who are we going to get to play? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

As soon as a N00b sits in at a table and sees others doing what they were warned against NOT doing, they will understand.

The student will become the masta! (Insert Kung-Fu Grip Graemlin here)

MaxPower
07-15-2005, 12:07 PM
It needs to be changed. These things are supposed to be helpful.

Mr. Curious
07-15-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It needs to be changed. These things are supposed to be helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I found Al's advice quite helpful and I think it needs to have the edge that it does because being nice does not get the point across to the thick headed people who continually make the mistakes he is commenting about. I'm not talking about a first time B&M'er, I'm referring to the guys (and girls) who continually play internet and B&M and ruin the table the moment they sit down because they are always the same pricks that they were before.

btw - Al mentioned it and I will reiterate it: DON'T SCARE AWARE THE FRIGGIN' FISH! A bad beat does not constitute a right for you to berate someone in a live game and force them to leave. You can bitch all you want on the internet because we can disable your chat, but in a live game you piss everyone off everyone and ruin the game.

Al_Capone_Junior
07-15-2005, 12:18 PM
We're working on it! V3 about to come out sometime today!

**slightly** less harsh!

edit: ok, I just finished version 3. More comments, additions welcome.

al

ChicagoTroy
07-15-2005, 12:22 PM
The first time a noob makes a mistake, forgets to post, etc., there's nothing wrong with saying, "Sorry, my first time in poker room."

A. Everybody likely knows anyway.
B. Only the nittiest of nits will get pissed at future honest mistakes.
C. Excellent for table image.

I did this my first few times out and most folks, who were initially irritated by the guy slowing the game down, couldn't have been nicer.

SomethingClever
07-15-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can bitch all you want on the internet

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

DMBFan23
07-15-2005, 01:02 PM
I thought it was decent advice, and I know the tone wasn't directed at me, but at the dudes who routinely do the stuff he was writing about. pretty good info in there.