PDA

View Full Version : Zero EV at a 2/4 table?

DavidC
07-15-2005, 10:34 AM
Or, more precisely, -EV after the rake?

I came from the micros, where everyone said that every table was crushable, that you didn't have to datamine, and where people threw their money at you.

The consensus was that there were no tables that were hard to play there.

Now I'm at 2/4, and things are much tougher. It becomes tough for me to figure out if I'm beating a table when it's full of TAAs, TPPs and TPAs.

So I'm curious, are there actually tables out there that you can expect to lose money by sitting, at the 2/4 party game?

--Dave.

AL5AcE
07-15-2005, 10:43 AM
Yes, but very very few tables are unbeatable especially at peak hours. It would have to be almost full of TAAs and they would have to be pretty skilled TAGs. Someone posted some time ago that playing tight doesn't mean they are good, and that is true. Besides, when you run into a hand with a TAG, you still have the ability to minimize your losses and maximize your wins by playing good depending on their stats.

Edit: Also, TPPs and TPAs are pretty profitable to play against. They are probably one of the signs that playing tight isn't everything. Just make sure you have a good sample size, because a smart TAG might look like a TPP or TPA from time to time.

sy_or_bust
07-15-2005, 10:56 AM
Learn good table selection now. You'll need it for higher limits because the players get progressively better. At 2/4 this isn't always the case, but the rake is large enough to make it important to jump around on occassion. You don't have to chase certain players around at 2/4, but you should dodge tight tables and bad seats.

DMBFan23
07-15-2005, 12:51 PM
there's an adjustment period, but don't worry, 2/4 is very beatable. it takes a while to get used to more aggressive players. if you keep playing and posting, you are virtually guaranteed to beat 2/4