PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Rooting for Mike?

Goodie54
07-15-2005, 08:42 AM
I've been playing poker for six years now, and it's a hobby. But somehow (and I know a lot of you know what I mean), it's more than that. It becomes part of your life. It provides heartache and excitment and the world series is the pinnacle of the game. It's almost mythical to watch and dream every year. This tournament has become bigger than life. I remember watching Scotty winning in 98, Mortenson beating a sick table in 01, Varkoni getting every hand he needs and causing a bald helmuth eat his words, Moneymaker beating all the pros with luck and skill and last year watching Greg beat all comers just like I knew he could.

Mike Matasow, as annoying and villianess as he is sometimes, and even though he dogged Greg (who I hold in very high regard from personal experience), knows what this tournament means to a real poker player. He wants it the most, so I find myself rooting for him.

Now I don't know what's in the heart of the others, but I know that Mike the Mouth realizes that he's living the dream of all us pions that dare to even think of having a big stack in the big one.

So, good luck, Mike, I may one of your only fans today.

Peace

Goodie

sekrah
07-15-2005, 08:49 AM
Yep.. I'm definently pulling for Mike!..

Kick some ass Mouth!

B Dids
07-15-2005, 09:13 AM
I'm rooting for Mike because of "Overrated Donkey, Tournament Donkey, Internet Donkey, Andy Bloch".

RLilley
07-15-2005, 09:23 AM
I'm cheering for Mike. Oh, how I hope he wins.

OilMan
07-15-2005, 09:26 AM
I agree. I'm also rooting for Mike. From the cardplayer updates it seems he was pretty quite last night (not mouthing off too much) until late into the night.

superleeds
07-15-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm rooting for Mike because of "Overrated Donkey, Tournament Donkey, Internet Donkey, Andy Bloch".

[/ QUOTE ]

BeerMoney
07-15-2005, 09:44 AM
If everyone was the same, things would be boring. Matusow makes things interesting. He has spirit, and he has heart.

lonn19
07-15-2005, 09:55 AM
I am rooting for Mike. He can be a dick at times, but he is fun to watch and has had so many bad beats. I don't think anyone wants it more than he does. Go Mike!!

chaas4747
07-15-2005, 10:25 AM
I am with you. I would love to see Mike take this whole thing down. After Raymer Mike was my second choice. Go Mike!

RacersEdge
07-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Is he the guy who told Raymer he had "small cajones" or something last year - then cried when his AK was beat - by AQ on the river I think?

If that's the same guy, he's a jerk and a loser. No way I want someone like him to win.

benza13
07-15-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is he the guy who told Raymer he had "small cajones" or something last year - then cried when his AK was beat - by AQ on the river I think?

If that's the same guy, he's a jerk and a loser. No way I want someone like him to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are basing your opinion just on these events, you need to reconsider. Sure the crying was a little ridiculous, but getting rivered in the ME has to hurt a bit. As far as the incident with Greg, if Fossilman can forgive and forget (and be friendly with Mike this year) then so can you. If Greg, Ivey and Mike all made the final table it would have been wonderful, but I would have been conflicted on who to root for, now that its just Mike, I can easily say GO MIKE, take this one down for all the pro's.

tripp0807
07-15-2005, 12:03 PM
I'm in Mouth's corner.

He's kind of like the bad guy in wrestling that you rooted for when you were a kid.

-Tripp

RacersEdge
07-15-2005, 12:11 PM
The guy has no character or class. His whole demeanor was pretty pathetic and immature - he makes Hellmuth seem like a saint.

Rekwob
07-15-2005, 12:16 PM
too right, we need more people that sit there silently and show no emotion, or just suck out on other people all the time, rather than a top holdem player with a bit of character

sekrah
07-15-2005, 12:27 PM
You are clearly an idiot that doesn't know who Mike Matusow is.

Thanks for identifying yourself for the rest of us.

mithong
07-15-2005, 01:37 PM
I find it comical that some of you expect a professional poker player to be a saint as well. I'd much rather see a man with his emotion and heart than a boring fock who does nothing but twiddle his thumbs and play with his chips all day. Believe it or not, people like Mike get people talking about poker. And more exposure can never be a bad thing for the game.

jaym
07-15-2005, 01:40 PM
Ya.

detroitplayer
07-15-2005, 02:10 PM
I am rooting for Mike based on the fact that once he's gone from the final table it will be less entertaining.

TheTimeIsUp
07-15-2005, 02:11 PM
Who else is there to root for?

mlagoo
07-15-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am rooting for Mike based on the fact that once he's gone from the final table it will be less entertaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is pretty much my reasoning. because i could basically care less about anyone else there.

DarrenX
07-15-2005, 02:20 PM
As I'm sure many do, I like the underdog. Before the poker explosion a couple years ago, the underdogs were the unknowns amateurs, the internet qualifiers... now that the pros are outnumbered 10:1 (or more depending on your definition of pro), The Mouth IS the underdog- Finish it, Mikey!!

lonn19
07-15-2005, 03:08 PM
I don't know how some of you can criticize Mike for showing his emotions. Him crying last year should tell you how passionate he is about poker and how he wants to win as much as anyone, if not more. Sure he has his bad boy moments, but he is human. I love watching him play and want him to win.

DarthIgnurnt
07-15-2005, 03:15 PM
A post I made on July 5th regarding what 2+2ers would be in the ME this year, indicated my feelings for Mr. Matusow at that point in time.

[ QUOTE ]
GL all.

I'll be the tall, handsome guy punching Matusow in the neck and hitting on Scotty Nguyen's new trick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since then, however, I have discovered his subtle genius (or perhaps, I've just lightened up). Even in this country, where changing your mind is a mortal sin ... I have changed mine.

Sure Matusow's a jerk, but he's classic, and he's fun to watch. With Raymer gone, I'm rooting for The Mouth.

pokerdirty
07-15-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how some of you can criticize Mike for showing his emotions. Him crying last year should tell you how passionate he is about poker and how he wants to win as much as anyone, if not more. Sure he has his bad boy moments, but he is human. I love watching him play and want him to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the exact reason why I want him to lose! Oh the drama he will create! Last year he blamed God when the flush came to knock him out....imagine if he loses boat vs quads!

Platypus
07-15-2005, 03:32 PM
Date / Time: 2005-07-09 22:47:00

Log: Matusow limps in, and now the player in seat 7 makes it 1900 to go. Matusow reraises all-in for his last $11,700. The raiser beats him into the pot. Matusow shows 3-3, while his opponent has Q-Q. The board comes A-3-7-4-8, Matusow doubles up before saying "Lotta skill in poker, boys. All skill. Lotta skill." He then he goes on to recount the hand, call himself a donkey, and reminsce about the days when he "used to be a pretty good poker player."

RacersEdge
07-15-2005, 04:14 PM
Here's Greg Raymer's opinion on this whiny bitch:

[ QUOTE ]
However, I think it would probably not be good for the game if he won this title. I do not want the young kids who are taking up the game, and who will be joining me at the tables when they turn 21 to think that trash-talking and ranting are the way it should be. I truly do not dislike Mike at all, I just think he needs more impulse control, and I do not want him to be the role model for all the young players entering the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

Sundevils21
07-15-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who else is there to root for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hal 2000
07-15-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. He's a human being, and he's fallible like the rest of us. Bottom line he tries to create more of an edge for himself sometimes. I suspect he'd carry himself quite well as the world champ.. G/L Mike!

Gallopin Gael
07-15-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The guy has no character

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you need to go listen to Phil Gordon's podcasts.