PDA

View Full Version : How badly did I play this?

mex78753
07-15-2005, 07:27 AM
PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (10 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (13 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero folds, BB folds.

Final Pot: 17 BB

My read of utg is that of a very solid tight/aggressive player so I know I layed down the wosrt hand. My thought process aftwards is that I should have check/called the river. I dont usually bet the river like that in this situation but I've been up for 24+ hours.

All comments welcome

mex78753
07-15-2005, 07:44 AM
Do I have to have 1000+ posts before I get some sort of a response?

sean c
07-15-2005, 09:11 AM
Mex there is no reason to check/call the river after the turn action you are betting for value. If the river jack helped him so be it but getting 17:1 call the last bet.

thejameser
07-15-2005, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mex there is no reason to check/call the river after the turn action you are betting for value. If the river jack helped him so be it but getting 17:1 call the last bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

and then go to bed for a little bit.

jskills
07-15-2005, 09:24 AM
Don't fold the river for one more bet in a pot that size. Just call for one more and see his hand.

Folding the best hand is a very big mistake compared to calling for one bet when you're behind ...

W. Deranged
07-15-2005, 10:11 AM
I think you should call the river. Everything else looks great. Nicely done leading the turn back after a cap. River is a value bet giving the J is pretty innocuous and you were not raised when the K hit. Note that even if one of the the two players is on a draw and will fold because they missed, the other may pay you off. BB seems like a classic calling station who may pay you off with a weaker pair hand or a rivered J or something.

Notice that if your villain is really a very solid TAG player, there are many possible hands he could have taken this line with: he could have flopped a top pair type hand like J10 and rivered two pair; he could have flopped a monster draw which he knew he had value on going into the river (two big hearts... AQ are not that likely due to the lack of preflop raise though maybe KJ or something like that is); he could have flopped a set and tried to exploit his position to get bets out of BB (who is a pretty big chump, or so it would seem).

My point is that a good player might be pushing a variety of different kinds of equity here. His river raise may well be a bluff on a missed draw because he has a read on you.

Getting 17-1 I think you'll be ahead here the 6% or so necessary to call.

ejay
07-15-2005, 01:11 PM
I agree that you have to call the last bet on the river. The utg may put you on draw or he may have missed his draw and is taking a stab at it hoping to get you to fold a hand like A10. He may have you beat but getting 17:1 you have to call.

mex78753
07-15-2005, 05:38 PM
I think you guys are right. I almost always make a call into a pot that big but I start making mistakes when I've been up for very long. tks

baronzeus
07-15-2005, 05:41 PM
I call here expecting to see JJ. If you lose, oh well.

chief444
07-15-2005, 05:50 PM
I think your river bet/fold is fine. I highly doubt he's raising a worse hand with the caller in between after the aggression you've shown. That is a value raise with a better hand more than 17/18 times IMO and you may be behind BB as well.