PDA

View Full Version : Reality Check

dark_horse
07-15-2005, 04:25 AM
no reads, new at table.

Party Poker (10 handed) semi-broken converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.

UTG Calls; 2 folds; MP1 calls; 2 folds; CO calls; Button raises to $4; Hero raises to $6; BB cold-calls $5; UTG cold-calls $4; MP1 folds; CO cold-calls $4; Button calls.

Flop: 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>

Hero bets; BB calls; UTG folds; CO calls; Button calls

Turn: 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

Hero bets; BB folds, CO calls; Button raises; Hero...flips a coin?

TStoneMBD
07-15-2005, 04:40 AM
definitely call down. you will be facing a ten here more often then you think.

dark_horse
07-15-2005, 04:51 AM
I was going to say, "after a call and a raise?" But then I realized...

A 7 is unlikely given preflop action. I folded. I wasn't thinking about preflop when I was raised when the turn paired 7s. Man was that dumb. Wholy crap. Worst fold of my life. Literally. 13BB pot. Yes maybe TT, but hey.

The fold comes from the countless experiences you are way ahead with an overpair against a bunch of passive calling stations, and then the board completes some obvious draw or pairs, and one of them who was calling you down suddenly raises. I was reacting from past pain and not thinking clearly.

Bad bad bad!

stokken
07-15-2005, 05:28 AM
Quote: Insanity is per definition repeating the same action over and over again excpecting a different result.A.Einstein

The brain teaches u to avoid a situation given previouss excperience, one seems to forget all the times one wondered how someone could call u down with nothing, and emphesize the ones where they fluke tripped out on u.

Yesterday it happened numerous times to me and I am currently in the hole digging, struggling to become insane.

Bascule
07-15-2005, 07:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote: Insanity is per definition repeating the same action over and over again excpecting a different result.A.Einstein

The brain teaches u to avoid a situation given previouss excperience, one seems to forget all the times one wondered how someone could call u down with nothing, and emphesize the ones where they fluke tripped out on u.

Yesterday it happened numerous times to me and I am currently in the hole digging, struggling to become insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL excellent post. The brain often doesn't take proper account of pot-odds in these situations either.

TStoneMBD
07-15-2005, 01:30 PM
if this is the worst fold of your life then youre an excellent player. the fold is a mistake but its not a very large one.

W. Deranged
07-15-2005, 01:38 PM
I wish we had a read on villain in question...

I'm a little surprised that folding is getting so much play here. The raise isn't automatically trips here. Folding here was the last thing that came into my mind. I figured your "coin-flip" was between calling down and three-betting.

I think folding is the worst option here. Raising looks like a fair option if our hero can fold to a cap (pot hasn't gotten to the 20 bet range necessary for trying to spike a K). That protects our hand better in case CO might fold an A, straight draw, weak flush draw, etc... Since, if CO is on a good draw, we can't really protect our hand anyway, calling down might be a fine option.

Letting the hand go this early seems weak-tight to me. The 7 is not a likely card given the pre-flop action. AA is not a huge fear because that likely encourages a pre-flop cap. I can't see myself folding this turn really ever.

dark_horse
07-15-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if this is the worst fold of your life then youre an excellent player. the fold is a mistake but its not a very large one.

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, maybe i'm just being results oriented then. if i got raised on the river i definitely call. but i didn't like being sandwiched between the original caller and the raiser. i assumed i'd have to call another bet on the river, so with that assumption in mind, my kings would have to be the best hand 6.5 times for each call. (52/8)

results: i fold, CO calls. on the turn they both check it down. CO has ATs, button has 88. my fold is a $52 gift for CO.

Nick C
07-15-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a little surprised that folding is getting so much play here. The raise isn't automatically trips here. Folding here was the last thing that came into my mind. I figured your "coin-flip" was between calling down and three-betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first read the original post, I knew calling was one side of the coin (obviously), but I wasn't sure if the other was 3-betting or folding.

Anyway, I like calling down. The turn raise (following the flop call) does represent a big hand, but it could also be something like JJ (or the actual AT), with Villain waiting until the turn to make sure an ace or king didn't fall before getting in the raise or raising because he picked up a flush draw to go with his pair.

dark_horse
07-15-2005, 02:50 PM
actually, it was the button who raised with 88. a rather random action. but that's party 2/4..

TStoneMBD
07-15-2005, 02:51 PM
its really not that bad of a play at all which is why you need to be aware that players are capable of this and therefore you cannot lay down this hand

callmedonnie
07-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Call down. With no reads especially. Some guys raise any scare card. I love those guys. You're not sure you're up against that, but you've got kings. Unless the action gets ridiculous you have to showdown.

NickRegino
07-15-2005, 09:54 PM
I would call down, if he shows me a 7, oh well.