PDA

View Full Version : Technical issue - need ppl w/ some computer knowledge!

SammyKid11
07-15-2005, 03:05 AM
So I'm a SnG player and I'm having a very disturbing technical issue on which I could use some expertise. I connect to my client (this has happened on both Eurobet and Empire, all starting in the last 2 days), then I'll go to a table -- the lobby drops away (as it normally would), but then instead of taking me to that table, it takes me back to the "Setting up connection" mini-screen like it does when you first open the client application. It doesn't do this everytime -- but it's especially bothersome when it lets me open 1, 2, or 3 tables, pay my entry fee, and then when opening the next table it logs me off and sends me to the connection mini-page. Then I'll hit OK, it will automatically try to open those tables again, and I will again be back at the connection mini-page...this can go on for several minutes before it finally lets me back onto my tables (only to discover in Tourney summaries that I auto-folded aces while I was away). Nevertheless, this is obviously very bothering and I was wondering if anyone had any clue what it might be and what I might do to fix it.

I DO have a spyware issue going on at the moment, which I've tried nearly everything to resolve. I can't see where it would be the spyware causing this problem, but then again I know very little about computers. Please help if you can. Thanks!

dibbs
07-15-2005, 03:07 AM
While I lack the expertise to help you out, try posting at the new Comp. Tech. Help forum, some smart kids loiter there.

Good luck.

Mr Gee
07-15-2005, 08:56 AM
I know it sounds like overkill, but I think your best bet is to get Windows reinstalled on your machine.

You can never be too careful with spyware, and even if you manage to remove it, it can often leave your machine screwed up in weird and wonderful ways.

If you do reinstall, make sure you get a firewall, antivirus and antispyware installed. Get your machine up to date with Windows Update, and try and use something other than Internet Explorer for web browsing (Opera, Firefox etc).

Hope that helps

skoal2k4
07-15-2005, 08:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know it sounds like overkill, but I think your best bet is to get Windows reinstalled on your machine.

You can never be too careful with spyware, and even if you manage to remove it, it can often leave your machine screwed up in weird and wonderful ways.

If you do reinstall, make sure you get a firewall, antivirus and antispyware installed. Get your machine up to date with Windows Update, and try and use something other than Internet Explorer for web browsing (Opera, Firefox etc).

Hope that helps

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds good... but that will do nothing unless you get rid of the spyware... get rid of that first. That should be the very first thing that needs to be done. It might be possible that the spyware is eating up your bandwidth and the poker client thinks you're disconnecting and reconnecting.

Mr Gee
07-15-2005, 10:47 AM
By reinstall I mean a reformatting of your hard drive(s), and a fresh install. That would completely remove any spyware.

If you're going to do a reinstall soon, and won't be using your machine between now and then, there's no need to go to the extra lengths of trying to remove the spyware first.

Due to the fact that some spyware/trojans will attempt to steal your passwords, I strongly recommend that you don't play any online poker, or do any online banking until you get the problem resolved.