PDA

View Full Version : same birthday

dark_horse
07-15-2005, 12:59 AM
my brother, my grandfather and i all have the same birthday.
please settle an age old family debate.

the odds of my brother and i having the same birthday is 365:1.
the odds of my brother and i being born on one particular date is 365x365?
the odds of the 3 of us having the same birthday is?
the odds of the 3 of us being born on one particular date is?

SheetWise
07-15-2005, 01:30 AM
The math is straight forward, but I would focus more on the observation. For example, I have three daughters whose birthdays are the 24th, 25th, and 26th of the same month. The probability of this recurring would be the same. So would the recurrence of any three random dates. There are probably several other people in your family who are not a part of this apparent "convergence". I've attached a favorite observation from a great book -

[ QUOTE ]
The sample space of "unusual" events is confused with that of low-probability events. For one example, the remarkable feature of a bridge hand of 13 Spades is its apparent regularity, not its rarity (all hands are equally probable). For another, if one holds a number close to the winning number in a lottery, one tends to feel that a terribler bad stroke of misfortune has caused one just to miss the prize. Bertrand Russell's remark that we encounter a miracle every time we read the license number of a passing automobile is encompassed by this fallacy. The probability of an "unusual" occurrence should be equated to the ratio of the number of unusual (by virtue of symmetry or other aesthetic criteria) events to the total number of events.

[/ QUOTE ]

from The Theory of Gambling and Statistical Logic by Richard Epstein, Paranormal Phenomena - Fallacies and Sophistries;

dark_horse
07-15-2005, 02:27 AM
so what are the odds dude

SheetWise
07-15-2005, 03:07 AM
If I understand your question; I am left with -

3 of us having the same birthday;
3 of us being born on one particular date;

If you are incapable of the math, I doubt the time I spent exposing some of the subtleties helps you.

Strangely Symmmmettrically Atttaccched ...

Nottom
07-15-2005, 05:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have three daughters whose birthdays are the 24th, 25th, and 26th of the same month. The probability of this recurring would be the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any chance they are November babies?

MikeL05
07-15-2005, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

heavily influenced by hindsight bias. How many brothers do you have? How many sisters? And how many brothers and sisters does your mom/dad (whoever is the child of the grandfather) have?

What you really want to do, is determine a given date of birth for your grandfather. Then determine the number of children he had, add 1 for you and add 1 for each brother/sister you have. Then figure the odds of two of you, out of whatever total number that is, have the same birthday as him.

LetYouDown
07-15-2005, 09:51 AM
If I'm understanding your question correctly...

The odds of you and your brother having the same birthday are 364:1.
The odds of you and your brother being born on one particular date are 133224:1.
The odds of you all having the same birthday are 133224:1.
The odds of you all being born on one particular date are 48627124:1.

Remember there's a difference between odds and probability.

dark_horse
07-15-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I'm understanding your question correctly...

The odds of you and your brother being born on one particular date are 133224:1.

Remember there's a difference between odds and probability.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain?

LetYouDown
07-15-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You have a birthday...doesn't matter what day. So the probability he has the same birthday is 1/365 or 364:1.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The probability that either of you are born on June 16th is 1/365. The probability that both of you are born on June 16th is 1/365 * 1/365 or 1/133225 or 133224:1.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You have a birthday...doesn't matter what day. The probability that your brother is born on the same day is 1/365. The probability that your grandfather is born on the same day is 1/365. So 1/365 * 1/365 = 1/133225 or 133224:1.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The odds that you're all born on June 16th is 1/365 * 1/365 * 1/365 or 1/48627125 or 48627124:1.

Edit: Keep in mind, I'm assuming that you're really just looking for an answer here. All of the nuances discussed by others in this thread are valid. My numbers represent you picking three random people off the street.

SheetWise
07-15-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How did you know?

llamaoo7
07-15-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How did you know?

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about 3 months later (or 9 months earlier). Well, we know what how you like to celebrate that day.

LetYouDown
07-15-2005, 06:48 PM
LOL...excellent lateral thinking.

oneeye13
07-15-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the odds of my brother and i having the same birthday is 365:1

[/ QUOTE ]

this doesn't account for the possibility that you are twins

astarck
07-17-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Edit: Keep in mind, I'm assuming that you're really just looking for an answer here. All of the nuances discussed by others in this thread are valid. My numbers represent you picking three random people off the street.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any way to account for the fact that most babies are born right around 9 months. If the OP is born on Jan. 1 and his mother gets pregnant with a baby a few years later in November, there is 0% chance of the baby being born on Jan. 1 and surviving.

Picking 3 random people off the street will give you use of the entire 365 days in the year. But parents can "control" when they want their babies to be born, to some small extent. At least within a range of a few months.

I guess I don't understand if the OP is talking about 3 random people off the street, or the odds of having 3 planned births on the same date. For the later, I guess pregnancy dates might be required.

astarck
07-17-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was born (statement of the century). My sister was born 7 years later, the day before I was born. For example, my birthday might be May 5, my sister would be born May 4, 7 years later.

My dad was born on Halloween. My mom was born on Thanksgiving (some years her bday is on Thanksgiving, it changes from year to year). My cousin was born on Valentine's day.

dark_horse
07-17-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was born (statement of the century). My sister was born 7 years later, the day before I was born. For example, my birthday might be May 5, my sister would be born May 4, 7 years later.

My dad was born on Halloween. My mom was born on Thanksgiving (some years her bday is on Thanksgiving, it changes from year to year). My cousin was born on Valentine's day.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, yeah, i get it. i don't care. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

gaming_mouse
07-17-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
please settle an age old family debate.

the odds of my brother and i having the same birthday is 365:1.
the odds of my brother and i being born on one particular date is 365x365?

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing to consider....

You would be equally surprised, eg, if you, your brother, and your grandMOTHER were all born on the same day too. Or, say, you, your father, and your grandfather....

So to get a more reasonable answer, you should consider the group of people for which this phenomenon would also be valid. I don't know how many siblings you have, but let's say the group, at the very least, consists of:

You
brother
mother
father
2 grandfathers
2 grandmothers

8 people total. Now the question is: What is the chance that 3 people, out of a total of 8 people, all share a birthday? The first term of inclusion-exclusion will provide a reasonable estimate:

(8 choose 3)*(1/365)^2, about 1 in 2379

If you have more siblings it obviously becomes more likely.

astarck
07-17-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, yeah, i get it. i don't care. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Birthday Brag Tread!

jogsxyz
07-17-2005, 03:37 PM
The odds aren't as high as you think. A birth is not a random event. Two people had to do something nine months earlier.

gaming_mouse
07-17-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The odds aren't as high as you think. A birth is not a random event. Two people had to do something nine months earlier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed that it was to answer the question, and I'm sure the OP assumed that everyone would make that assumption. It's kind of a convention when people ask these types of questions.

dark_horse
07-17-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
8 people total. Now the question is: What is the chance that 3 people, out of a total of 8 people, all share a birthday? The first term of inclusion-exclusion will provide a reasonable estimate:

(8 choose 3)*(1/365)^2, about 1 in 2379

If you have more siblings it obviously becomes more likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Well, I have 3 other siblings. Then my father remarried and had 2 more kids. And one of his kids has the same birthday as my sister.

mostsmooth
07-17-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How did you know?

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about 3 months later (or 9 months earlier). Well, we know what how you like to celebrate that day.

[/ QUOTE ]
whats so special about february?

llamaoo7
07-17-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How did you know?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The 14th.

benneh
07-17-2005, 10:27 PM
I was born the same year, same day, same hospital, same doctor, same room as my cousin.

No, not the same mother (ewww)!

She was born 11 hours earlier though. That bitch.

rusellmj
07-18-2005, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I like to celebrate the Daytona 500 the same way.

JKDStudent
07-24-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How did you know?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Never say that to a woman.