PDA

View Full Version : Mythbusters

RacersEdge
07-14-2005, 11:23 PM
Anyone catch this show last night? They were testing the myth that going under water could prevent a person from being hit by a bullet - like you see in the movies. Was pretty interesting - basically, bullets really decelerated and fell apart when shot from a 23 degree angle (shooting straight down was different story). Even a 50-caliber rifle they took to a swimming pool didn't hit the target. Pertty amazing what water can do.

DasLeben
07-14-2005, 11:25 PM
I didn't see this, but that's pretty interesting. I know that hollowpoints will expand and become useless pretty much immediately after hitting the water, but FMJs?

brassnuts
07-14-2005, 11:29 PM
I missed the episode. But, while we're on the subject of that show, is it just me, or do Adam and Jamie kinda act like a couple? They've dropped some lines that would suggest they actually live together. Anyways, just wondering, you know? Not that there's anything wrong with it.

tolbiny
07-14-2005, 11:30 PM
It was a good episode - they only mentioned it at the end - but apparently they tried the same experiment with handguns which penetrated much further into the water. What it looks like is the amount of energy that a high speed bullet from a rifle has as it hits the water is to much for the bullet to handle causeing it to fragment, and dissapte all its energy.

Brain
07-14-2005, 11:32 PM
I caught the beginning and enjoyed when they blew the tank with the shotgun. I got distracted and missed the swimming pool part though. That would be nice to see if they took that .50 to the pool.

No running on the deck!! *BOOM*

RacersEdge
07-14-2005, 11:36 PM
Yes, I remember the ammunitions person saying they were definitely FMJ.

RacersEdge
07-14-2005, 11:39 PM
Man, that 50 caliber bullet was freakin huge. For some reason I wondered if that thing could stop a grizzly..

Felix_Nietsche
07-14-2005, 11:42 PM
Man, that 50 caliber bullet was freakin huge. For some reason I wondered if that thing could stop a grizzly..
Yep and probably an elephant.

cbfair
07-15-2005, 12:02 AM
At least one of them has referred to their wife (the one with the hair?) before. I think they've worked together in movie effects for years and years.

RacersEdge
07-15-2005, 12:29 AM
Why would you think this guy is gay?

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/photogalleries/bathtub/gallery/bathtub9_hzoom.jpg

-Skeme-
07-15-2005, 12:37 AM
The other guy is much more gay looking. That mustache that came straight out of the 1800s and that gay beret.. heh. Great show, though.

afk
07-15-2005, 12:42 AM
I'm glad to see love for this show. I absolutely love it. Blowing up the concrete truck was an all time high. I missed the episode in question for this thread but I'll catch it in a rerun sometime.

DrPublo
07-15-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yep and probably an elephant.

[/ QUOTE ]

From at least 1000 yds, too.

The Doc