PDA

View Full Version : 77 Turn decision

Chris Daddy Cool
07-14-2005, 10:51 PM
40/80 last night at bay 101

a very lucky but decent player limps in the hijack. i raise on the button with 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. the blinds fold and he calls. my image at this point has been tight/aggressive though i've had a flurry (3 or 4) of raising hands the past orbit.

flop: J /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

He checks. I bet. He calls.

Turn: T /images/graemlins/heart.gif

He bets. Is my hand or my draw any good here?

pokerhooker
07-14-2005, 11:29 PM
This is a tough one, and I would have to rely a lot on my read of the player. Would he checkraise you on the flop with a pair? How about with a flush draw?

Your draws are troubling because in each case, you're not sure if you want to get there since he could have a higher heart, an 8 might give you a smaller straight, and hitting your set might give him a straight.

I think his most likely holding is a pair, and the 3rd heart scared him into betting to protect you from getting a free 4th heart. But if that's the case, you have just enough pot odds to call.

At the same time, the pot is small enough, if you're not behind or drawing dead already, the river could bring a lot of cards that would give him a better hand, so I don't think a fold is a disaster.

With all that said, if you want to get to showdown, I think the best way is to raise here and a)hope he mucks or b)hope you get to check behind on the river and pray you're good.

Do you play at Bay101 often or are you in town visiting?

Regards, Pokerhooker

Clarkmeister
07-15-2005, 01:00 AM
Raise.

flawless_victory
07-15-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise.

[/ QUOTE ] i would undoubtedly do this, but i could prob be convinced to fold here.

Chris Daddy Cool
07-15-2005, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

how often is raising here because i have the best hand vs. me trying to get him to fold a better hand?

bernie
07-15-2005, 03:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat me to it. This is the first thing that jumped into my mind.

b

bernie
07-15-2005, 03:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

how often is raising here because i have the best hand vs. me trying to get him to fold a better hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a little of both? It's a nice spot for a semi bluff.

b

Lawrence Ng
07-15-2005, 06:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously worship the ground you walk on. I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy....

Lawrence

DcifrThs
07-15-2005, 06:29 AM
you raise here.

1) your hand may be good right now and he can have a better draw than you (a Qh say or the A/Kh) or an 8.

2) you fold to a 3 bet very readily given the above.

3) you check behind the river.

4) he may fold a T or 9 to the raise and you have outs vs. those hands anyways.

so raise.

-Barron

Chris Daddy Cool
07-15-2005, 06:36 AM
i'm glad everybody agreed with raising and thats what i did.

it wasn't so peachy for me however as he 3-bet me and i folded. he flipped over black KQ and i let out a little groan.

oreogod
07-15-2005, 06:44 AM
Still the right move I think.

Clarkmeister
07-15-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2) you fold to a 3 bet very readily given the above

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't with the heart. You do need to see the river.

Ezcheeze
07-15-2005, 11:34 AM
Fold. You are most likely destroyed here and theres 4.75 BB in the pot.

andyfox
07-15-2005, 01:07 PM
I don't understand the advocacy of raise here. Villain check-calls the flop and the then bets the turn. The most likely explanation is that the turn card helped him. With the coordinated board he could have a pretty big hand. Yes, he didn't raise pre-flop, so a set is unlikely. And check-call on the flop indicates a flush is unlikely, but the guy seems pretty passive, in that he merely limped first in from the cut-off; those types often enough just check call on the flop with a drawing hand. If he picked up a heart draw he's not folding to a raise and there are 3 overcards to the pair of 7s. His most likely holding is two pair with something like T-9 (these types also would check-call that to the raiser on the flop) or a straight.

andyfox
07-15-2005, 01:10 PM
Tee guy check-called a 9 on the flop and then bet out when the ten of hearts came on the turn? I can't see him doing this unless he had a 9 and a T.

MaxPower
07-15-2005, 01:43 PM
By the time he 3-bets you, you are getting about 9:1 on your call, so you have to see the river even if you are occasionally drawing dead.

jdock99
07-15-2005, 04:04 PM
In the original post the OP mentioned the other player was decent but running very well. Does anyone think that should be taken into account? In my limited experience I find that it is not a good idea to be making moves (like raising the turn w/ 77 on a 9 10 J board) against decent players who are running real good because they are playing w/o fear, you have no control over them, and they normally make better reads. If this same player was running bad and you were running good there is a good chance he would have just called you on the turn or possibly even checked the turn to you.

DcifrThs
07-15-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2) you fold to a 3 bet very readily given the above

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't with the heart. You do need to see the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

so call the 3 bet or don't raise?

-Barron

durrrr
07-15-2005, 05:06 PM
I think I lead towards calling here, although raising is very close. After he 3bets and you puke- remember, you definitely have 1 out, and possibly as many as 14 (if he has jt or 33). I think you must call the turn, especially since your in position and probably able to get a bet in on the river when your ahead while rarely losing 2 while behind.

-durrrr
P.S. are you the same chris daddy cool who plays on 40-80 on paradise? I used to play you a bit, but I'm playing a lot more nl lately

DpR
07-15-2005, 05:20 PM
I like calling down here. Minus your heart, raise and fold to a three bet.