View Full Version : Ethical situation

EricW
07-14-2005, 07:43 PM
I was heads up against this player and he had a 4:1 chip lead on me. His internet has been wonky all game. As we were heads up, his internet died. His blinds were auto folded to me and every bet I made was auto folded.

Should I wait until the guy gets back or do i take him for all his worth trying so I can catch up/win?

curtains
07-14-2005, 07:45 PM
No you are within bounds steal all his chips in this situation. There is a reason I pay money for 2 internet connections every month and I will relentlessly steal blinds of those who get disconnected as I expect others will do to me.

EricW
07-14-2005, 07:46 PM
Ok cool. I took him for all that he was worth and when he got back, he had 300 chips left /images/graemlins/grin.gif

tigerite
07-14-2005, 07:51 PM
Next time, bet faster. Seriously, you're in this game to only look after #1, right? I do the same every time.

1C5
07-14-2005, 07:54 PM
I bet also. Screw waiting for him.

Nottom
07-14-2005, 07:57 PM
One time I sat at a $50 HU SNG on UB and my opponent never played a hand becasue he was either AFK or disconnected. Easiest $50 ever. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Yugoslavian
07-14-2005, 08:02 PM
This isn't really an interesting ethical dilemma at all.

More interesting would be if your opponent was like your best friend's g/f or something....and you were afraid she'd find out and then make your life a living hell through pussy-whipping your friend. On the flip side, perhaps if you just dumped your chips to her she'd hook you up with her hottie hot hot friend named Samantha....who devours cocks like no one else and who loves to cook delicious mexican and/or chinese food 24/7.

So yeah...your situation is relatively pretty simple.

Yugoslav

the shadow
07-14-2005, 08:04 PM
karma (http://billyblob.com/cartoons/karma-ghost/)'s a bitch.

The Shadow

A_Junglen
07-14-2005, 08:07 PM
Once my opponent was apparently out of disconnect-protection(s) and on the river in a big pot he was disconnected, and the dealer pushed me the pot /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Meatmaw
07-14-2005, 08:19 PM
To really maximize, once you've determined that your connection is more likely to last than his connection, take the maximum time possible on every hand you play in the hopes he disconnects and you can score the most chips.

but yes, no ethical probs here. I think of it as building my bankroll for when I lose connection on $220 worth of tables.

microbet
07-14-2005, 10:57 PM
Well, you can't just let the blinds get higher and higher, but if it were HU and there were a mechanism to pause the game, I would do it; if it weren't too inconvenient. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

runner4life7
07-14-2005, 10:58 PM
thast funny, I just had a guy disconnect when i had about 7000 to 1000ish, got him down to 25 before he was all in. It was a nice easy 1st.

ilya
07-15-2005, 12:16 AM
I don't know if I think YOU should do this -- that's for your conscience to decide -- but I tend to use my time bank in these situations to give the guy a chance to reconnect. But I wouldn't do it for everyone. E.g., if the guy had been really rude and obnoxious, I would be much more likely to rob him mercilessly.

johnnybeef
07-15-2005, 12:20 AM
Absolutely, it is an edge to push....and lord knows it has happened to me.

johnnybeef
07-15-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
karma (http://billyblob.com/cartoons/karma-ghost/)'s a bitch.

The Shadow

[/ QUOTE ]

to hell with kharma, this is an edge. think about in a live tournament when someone doesnt show up after a break. if he is on my left you can bet your ass that im gonna raise every time it is folded to me.

curtains
07-15-2005, 02:31 AM
You are helping your opponent by taking all their chips. Maybe theyll figure out to get a reliable internet connection or to always have a backup. When my internet was shaky and I had no backup, I stopped playing for a week until everything was back to normal.

Theres no reason I should have to stop playing whenever I have internet problems but be kind and gentle to all those that do and whom don't spend the same money per month that I do on internet connections.

gumpzilla
07-15-2005, 02:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Theres no reason I should have to stop playing whenever I have internet problems but be kind and gentle to all those that do and whom don't spend the same money per month that I do on internet connections.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, obviously, you don't HAVE to stop playing whenever you have internet problems. Also, there are occasionally occurrence where recurrent internet problems aren't at fault. I recently had a power outage when a thunderstorm blew in a couple of miles away while I was in the middle of some games. While I don't think you're obligated to try and wait the other person out - when put in this position in the past I've tended to just go for it as well - it's certainly not very sporting to do otherwise.

There have been a couple of situations in the WSOP ME where people have been away from the table, either because of a misunderstanding or a penalty, and some players have tried to stall to keep them in it. What do you think of such behavior?

Apathy
07-15-2005, 03:10 AM
it is definetly ok to steal at will.

Once I folded to a disconnected player 3 handed to screw over the other guy who thought "we" would bust him and play HU... I don't ever collude, so I felt the only thing that would be right to do was to bust him and play the disconnected dude HU.

HEHE, sucker.

johnnybeef
07-15-2005, 03:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Once I folded to a disconnected player 3 handed to screw over the other guy who thought "we" would bust him and play HU... I don't ever collude, so I felt the only thing that would be right to do was to bust him and play the disconnected dude HU.

HEHE, sucker.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is one of the coolest things i have read in a while...nh apathy.

EricW
07-15-2005, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

HEHE, sucker.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!

That's just gold.

tshort
07-15-2005, 03:31 AM
You should post blind and fold.

Unoriginalname
07-15-2005, 03:33 AM
When my heads up opponents disconnect, I can't push the min-raise button fast enough.

It's definitely ok to steal his blinds as fast as you can and it's not even close.

jon462
07-15-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When my heads up opponents disconnect, I can't push the min-raise button fast enough.

It's definitely ok to steal his blinds as fast as you can and it's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]
fyi, you are just asking for him tog et reconnected just the exact hand you miniraised with 63o, and then push.
try just calling. works just as well and doesnt scre wyou outta an extra bet when he does come back.

07-23-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This isn't really an interesting ethical dilemma at all.

More interesting would be if your opponent was like your best friend's g/f or something....and you were afraid she'd find out and then make your life a living hell through pussy-whipping your friend. On the flip side, perhaps if you just dumped your chips to her she'd hook you up with her hottie hot hot friend named Samantha....who devours cocks like no one else and who loves to cook delicious mexican and/or chinese food 24/7.

So yeah...your situation is relatively pretty simple.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

talk about deja vu. i never know what to do in this situation; the chinese food is always the kicker for me.

damn i love noodles.

"hottie hot hot friend" that cooks lets go.

Phill S
07-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Dude, you revived an old thread (that was also dead as the answer was given and no argument was around) in order to make a crap joke.

Thats not cool.

Phill

dmmikkel
07-23-2005, 04:25 PM
I once played a MTT. Beat 660 people to get HU and then he disconnected with the chiplead. I almost broke my mouse raising that fast.

All spectators had a real laugh and I made my fastest and easiest $1.5k i ever made. This was the difference between the two places.

bluefeet
07-23-2005, 04:28 PM
i wait a few minutes /images/graemlins/frown.gif

bluewilde
07-23-2005, 04:30 PM
Hmmm...what happens if he gets disconnected and you don't act. Do you both go on away mode? Then does the game go on indefinately?

bluefeet
07-23-2005, 04:36 PM
lol...yeah, i suspect it would! we're not talking all day, but i'll give the chap a minute two while i'm browsing a post. the exception would be against some loud mouth clown. "kindness begets kindness" (poster on my 3rd grade classroom wall - 1973).

edit: there, that looks better......sucked at 3rd grade!