PDA

View Full Version : Are specific reads worth it?

Jay36489
07-14-2005, 07:28 PM
I've been two tabling the 55s. How I do it is I leave the HH open for both and go over every hand every time cards are shown and make notes on people. Especially if they are tricky or straight forward players, if they overplay post flop, and how they handle KK and AA preflop etc... I am used to 4 tabling from my limit and ring games days and I'm considering adding a 3rd and 4th table soon. My question to the more experienced 55 players is are the reads really even worth it? Obviously they have some positive EV, but often by the time its push/fold I have 6-8 reads on someone that all basically say they are clueless donks. When you guys 4 table or more, so you do specific reads at all, or just some of the more important reads or what?

thx
Jay

ryanvick
07-14-2005, 07:35 PM
lol... yeah, um i dont use specific.. only if they are good, bad, tricky, so on, just things u'd know if your screens aren't overlayed...
but most players are really basic and fall into patterns that I can recognize within the course of the sng...
but would be interested to hear what types of notes others write on players, if I was playing step5's or 200's i might use more note as I would expect the play to be much more solid and that would give a decent edge... (although did place 2nd in my only step5 w/ no reads, yeah, winning a flip does help though)

Bigwig
07-14-2005, 08:05 PM
That sounds like a lot of work. I'm too busy drinking, watching TV, and surfing to do all that.

Jay36489
07-14-2005, 08:29 PM
Well it kind of is. I guess I was playing it careful getting into SNGs just playing 2 and keeping good notes. The more I find pretty much everyone sucks and those that dont have obvious numbers in PT/PV that show that. I guess I'm realizing its not really worth it, but wanted to see what people here thought. Is this the general consensus?

Sponger15SB
07-14-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That sounds like a lot of work. I'm too busy drinking, watching TV, and surfing to do all that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay36489
07-15-2005, 12:04 AM
Well I tried it. My main concern besides not having specific reads was would I be able to handle 4 bubbles at the same time. Well the poker gods really threw me into the fire on that one. First I tried 3 tabling, and went 1 2 2. Not too bad. Tried 4 and went 3 2 2 1. It was certainly pretty crazy in there, but I think I did ok (variance not withstanding). I find I still have time to get some reads on ppl early, but when it gets shorthanded its all point and shoot, no time to think. I forgot how fun it was to 4 table.