PDA

View Full Version : Crime in Las Vegas?

Big Al
02-18-2003, 05:04 PM
This is sort of a follow up to a previous post by someone who asked about comparisons between Vegas and LA regarding poker, quality of life, etc., Someone responded that Vegas has a high crime rate. I am thinking of retiring in Vegas someday and decided to do a little research. Two things jumped out at me, one good, one bad (info was taken from CNN website). Median home prices in Vegas are well below the median. Bad news-crime is big. Out of 852 cities, Vegas ranked 842 in personal crime and 833 in property crime (lower ranking better, higher worse). I was astounded by this. If you go by these figures, Vegas has one of the highest crime rates of any city in the U.S. This is to those who live there-is it really that bad? With a ranking this high, it makes me question wanting to live there. Thanks.

Clarkmeister
02-18-2003, 05:14 PM
In almost 4 years here I've never had a problem, but that doesn't mean anything. I can't think of an acquaintance who has had any problems either. Of course, that really doesn't mean anything elther. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

I suspect its like any city. Live in decent areas and you'll see lower crime rates. Lots of decent areas around here.

HDPM
02-18-2003, 05:56 PM
Well, the kid I saw over the weekend who looked twelve and was openly arranging a drug deal on his cell phone didn't seem too concerned about the city's ranking. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif What was hilarious is that after speaking of "grams" "ounces" and location over the phone, he had to call around to get a ride because he was too young to drive. Ahhh, future business for lawyers. That kid isn't smart enough to avoid getting caught. Anyway, Las Vegas is a place where you see a lot of stuff. People go there who are desperate or who get desperate when they get there. A lot goes on. I am careful in a lot of places. I have also lived there for brief periods and have seen some things. I have never been a victim of a crime there, but have been bothered by some things. That does not mean I am afraid of Las Vegas or would not live there. I hope to have a second home/retirement home there I think. But there are places I won't go, things I won't do, etc... I think anybody with a bit of street sense will be OK probably. Sure, you might be a victim of crime, but I don't think it's so bad you can't live there or anything. And I am maybe a little more paranoid than some because I know about a lot of crime that goes on in places where people wouldn't expect it. I know full well how rotten people can be. I would not let crime keep me from Las Vegas.

Howard Burroughs
02-18-2003, 06:46 PM
I moved to Las Vegas almost ten years ago. I've never regreted it. In fact, I think it is the greatest place to live on earth.

Clark said it best. Find a decent place to live (there are lots of nice places to live in LV). Most of the people that move here and hate it, pick the worst areas to live.

I've had $565 drop out of my pocket and a total stranger (a local btw) returned it to me.
I've been pulled over by the cops while driving 3 times (once with three month expired tags) and have yet to get a tickit. Out in Summerlin, I feel like I live in small town USA. It fantastic!

My wife & I love hiking in Red Rock Canyon, Mt. Charleston, First Creek & the Valley of Fire. We have great friends and the weather is great (I actually enjoy the hot summers too).

That's how I feel about Las Vegas. YMMV

Best of Luck

Howard

TimTimSalabim
02-19-2003, 12:08 AM
If that crime rating is based on per-capita, it's highly distorted. Consider that Las Vegas has about 1.5 million residents, and 30 million visitors a year.