PDA

View Full Version : New guy

ejay
07-14-2005, 06:49 PM
I have been reading this forum for a few weeks but this is my first post. I currently play 2/4 at party and have been winning at rate of about 2 bb/100h for about 10,000 hands. I hope that by posting here i can improve my knowledge of poker and also improve my win rate.

here are a few hands that i thought i could have played better in the last few days.

1. Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

I didnt think that the 3 helped him very much and he wasnt the type of opponent that would raise a fluch draw, I had a strong feeling that i was beat at this point.

River: (9.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

2.Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG :#A500AF(utg)/ raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, UTG :#A500AF(utg)/ calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">utg bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, utg calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
utg checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">utg raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">utg bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB

fold the turn?

3. same player as hand 2
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls.
i dont know if the preflop raise is right.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.
I dont know if the 3 bet is right. I figured that he would have raised a pair higher then 10's preflop. I also thought that he would have slow played a 10.

Turn: (6.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

4.Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif. MP1 posts a blind of $2.
UTG :#A500AF(bb)/ calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG :#A500AF(bb)/ calls, MP1 folds.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, bb checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, bb folds.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (6.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6.75 BB
missed bet on the river?

5.Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.
is leading the flop wrong? i think that the 3 bet was a mistake.

Turn: (5.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.
i was going to check raise. I thought he would definetly bet. Is it better to lead?

River: (5.25 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

ncboiler
07-14-2005, 06:59 PM
I don't like responding to multi hand posts because it's information overload but I'll give it a try.

HAND 1:

Raise turn and call re-raise and call river bet. I bet the river after he checks coming out.

Hand 2:

I fold turn. Looks like J/10. Not a very big pot.

Hand 3:

I limp from there with 9/9. Play the turn and river the same.

Hand 4:

I play it the same

Hand 5:

I would have folded the flop. Lead out the turn hoping he has a decent A.

TStoneMBD
07-14-2005, 07:08 PM
hand 1:

in low limits against mediocre players i prefer waiting until the turn to raise these hands. there are a couple of reasons for this

1) they cannot fold and you win an extra bet
2) it keeps their action pure, meaning that if they 3bet the turn then you can lay down your hand alot safer
3) if players try to donkbet you with garbage because you like to fold flops like this with Kx, they have to commit 1.5BBs into their bluff instead of their normal .5.

hand 2:

im not going to fold this hand. villain could have a hand like TT and figure hes investing 1BB in order to win about 8BBs when behind since he will call down anyway. if he can make you fold your hand 1:7 times he shows immediate profit. you will see shots taken at you on flops like this more often than other boards.

hand 3:

dont like the fast play. again i wait until the turn to raise here for a few reasons:

1) you win more bets
2) you keep his actions pure
3) you make a flush draw pay more

hand 4:

no sense in value betting this river. many passive opponents will actually lay down a pair to this river realizing that there is nothing they can beat. they chase up the river knowing that they have 5 outs but also know that you are valuebetting and not bluffing as most people check down king high here.

hand 5:

dont like your blind defense. i dont know what his stats here but most players at 2/4 are going to have you creamed at this point. rest looks good.

clownshoes
07-14-2005, 07:18 PM
Hand 1 bet the river
Hand 2 looks fine
Hand 3 the K /images/graemlins/club.gifis an ugly card, I think I drop it on the turn
Hand 4 bet the river
Hand 5 fold pf, against a UTG raise A9o is dominated so often its ugly. I dont like the flop c/r with the K on the board against a PFR and your only real outs are As which are dubious at best.

kurosh
07-14-2005, 07:28 PM
I haven't looked at the other hands, but you should check behind on hand 2.

Nick C
07-14-2005, 07:52 PM
Hand 1: I like TStoneMBD's idea of waiting until the turn to raise. Maybe this is partly because I remember I used to do that a lot when I played 2/4, and now I'm getting nostalgic.

The turn checkraise probably means trouble, but I think you should call. You have a decent number of outs against hands like 98/A8/A3.

I don't know why BB checked the river. Maybe he wants to checkraise again, or maybe he's scared you're trapping him with AA or something.

Or maybe he's worried that you have him outkicked. However, while I'm tempted to bet the river, what I'd most likely do instead is just take the free showdown.

Hand 2: I'd probably play it the way you did.

Something to consider, though, I think, is checking behind on the turn, with the plan of calling a river bet or betting if checked to. Unless UTG was taking a stab at the flop with overcards, either you or your opponent probably have two outs, and it's hard to know which.

Given the flop lead, I am worried UTG just made trips on the turn.

Hand 3: This opponent likes to checkraise, doesn't he?

Anyway, you went with your read. One thing to keep in mind is that for some players, a checkraise is kind of a slowplay. But you were at the table and I wasn't, so maybe BB wouldn't play trip tens the way he played this hand.

The turn card adds additional ways to lose, but if you think your opponent would play a 7 or a hand like 98 or 55 this aggressively on the flop, then calling down seems reasonable to me. BB is representing that he loves his hand, but that doesn't necessarily mean you're beat. (I think your read is pretty important for this one.)

Hand 4: On the river, if you're called, is your hand best more than half the time?

I'm not sure, but I have my doubts. You'll lose to ace-rag sometimes here, for instance, and I do think BB will often fold a low pair at this point, up against a PFR with an ace on the board, now that he didn't make two pair or a flush.

My 3/6 experiences could be influencing me (I haven't played 2/4 in a while), but I would check behind. And, right or wrong, I would have checked behind most of the time back when I played 2/4, too.

Hand 5: I would fold preflop. I don't like an easily dominated hand like A9o, versus an EP raise.

Postflop looks all right to me, but if UTG is a tight preflop raiser (that is, if you don't think KQ is in his PFR range), then I'm not sure I like the turn checkraise plan, and I think I'd prefer to bet-call.

I'm a little worried about AK/KK and even the mathematically unlikely AA, versus a tight preflop raiser who 3-bet my flop checkraise.

bobbyi
07-14-2005, 08:47 PM
I don't know why you would want to play A9o out of position against a guy who raised in early position. Other than that, this mostly seems very good.