PDA

View Full Version : $55: What are villian's habits when they have overpair/2pair/set/etc?

AA suited
07-14-2005, 06:09 PM
Assume no reads.

How can you spot a villian having tp better kicker, overpair, 2 pair, set, or a straight?

In other words, how can you NOT lose alot of chips when they have it? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

AliasMrJones
07-14-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Assume no reads.

How can you spot a villian having tp better kicker, overpair, 2 pair, set, or a straight?

In other words, how can you NOT lose alot of chips when they have it? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Always fold preflop. That's what I do.

Bigwig
07-14-2005, 06:21 PM
Well, this is what we call poker.

If you're Gigabet you can make an uncanny, freaky read.

What I do is use my knowledge of game theory, logic, and poker to determine the probability that my hand is the better one, and go from there based on the size of the pot, bets, stacks, etc.

The topic you're discussing here couldn't be covered adequetly in 100,000 words.

Gigabet
07-14-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Assume no reads.

In other words, how can you NOT lose alot of chips when they have it?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is easy, with no reads, if your bet is raised, or your raise is reraised, their hand is better than yours is. If you bet, and are called, their hand is probably better as well.

Gigabet

AA suited
07-14-2005, 10:50 PM
ok, w/o reads, if my bet is raised or if my raise is re-raised, then i usually fold tptk. unfortunately, i probably wont fold 2pair. See my THREAD (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2870885&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1) here about that problem.

but if called, they probably have me beat also??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

hm.. sometimes when they call my 3/4pot bet, they're on a draw or have middle/bottom pair. the others times i lose 1/2 (or all) my stack because they do have the better hand.
But i would estimate that they are chasing many more times than them having a monster. but my perception may not be correct since i dont have any hard data. That's just my feeling, and pokertracker has proved me wrong many times about how good/bad i think my ITM+roi are during a streak.

so w/o reads, it'll be +EV for me to check/fold on the turn if villian does anything else except fold on the flop? it's better to be super weak-tight and stay in the tourny than win a couple of hundred chips? /images/graemlins/confused.gif (obviously, i'm talking about when we both have >10BB since i would push preflop if either had less.)

bluefeet
07-14-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is easy, with no reads, if your bet is raised, or your raise is reraised, their hand is better than yours is. If you bet, and are called, their hand is probably better as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree largely with the 'raised..reraised' bit, but the ladder generally isn't the case where I'm slumming it (25+2turbos). There just simply isn't a lot of 'tricky play' with these guys. If they have the hand, they'll let you know more times than not. But in my experience, the simple calls often represent a donk desperately hoping thier hands improve -- despite not having the odds to do so.

Unarmed
07-15-2005, 09:13 AM
Sheesh /images/graemlins/grin.gif

He's just saying you need a better hand to call a bet than to make a bet, and you need a better hand to re-raise than to raise. AA, just watch all your histories in the replayer. It'll really help you gain a feel for what the typical player does in different spots.