PDA

View Full Version : 3/6 Flopped Set on 3 flush board

calvin
02-18-2003, 04:33 PM
Hello,

I am UTG+2 with 44 and call behind UTG+1, folded to LP tight guy who calls, folded to SB who folds, BB checks. 4 of us to see the flop. I am gladly playing all pocket pairs in this game as I usually find 4-7 players seeing the flop, and I know I will get a ton of action if I flop a set.

Flop comes: 5h 8h 4h. UTG+1 bets out, I raise, LP cold calls (LP is close to being all-in) and folded back to UTG+1 who calls.

Turn: 5h 8h 4h Th. UTG bets out again. I decide to raise even though I am almost positive one of the players has a flush. I would like to put LP all in now and hope to check behind on the river if the board does not pair. LP calls all in, UTG calls.

River: 5h 8h 4h Th Qc.

UTG checks and I check behind.

Results and my thoughts to follow.

Any and all comments appreciated.

Calvin

calvin
02-18-2003, 04:36 PM
Hello,

I show my set of fours, UTG shows 7h 3c and the LP all-in player wins with AsQh.

I think the right play was to raise on the turn in the hope that I could check down the river if I did not improve - although, I was almost positive at the time that one, or both, of the players had a flush. With the LP player all-in, how should that change my decision to bet, raise, fold or call the river if UTG had bet?

Calvin

Dynasty
02-19-2003, 02:28 AM
A turn raise has a real chance of getting a better hand to fold. That's why I would raise. Even if it doesn't work, you have outs to beat any flush.

calvin
02-19-2003, 03:23 AM
Dynasty,

Thanks for the reply. I was also thinking that perhaps one of them would fold if they held only a weak heart, and I liked my chances to beat a flush regardless.

Calvin