PDA

View Full Version : Study exercise: How to beat this guy?

SteveM
07-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Hi everyone,

Today I tried something that I found quite helpful. I took the person from my PT database that I've played the most hands against and studied his stats to see how I should play against him. I thought others might benefit (themselves AND me /images/graemlins/grin.gif) and I haven't seen this done here before so here goes.

How do we beat this guy? I'll post back some of my conclusions after there have been some replies and (hopefully) discussion. Thanks, and I hope you find this worthwhile.

Stats are from full ring $.50/$1.00

http://img165.echo.cx/img165/783/file17pk.gif

http://img165.echo.cx/img165/9697/file21oh.gif

http://img165.echo.cx/img165/3200/file30fz.gif

flo
07-14-2005, 05:45 PM
To give a real fast reply: i'd respect his aggression.

SCfuji
07-14-2005, 05:47 PM
hes loose and predictable. value bet him to death. jump ship if he ever raises you.

SteveM
07-14-2005, 05:47 PM
P.S. If you want me to dig up anything else on him from my PT database let me know.

aK13
07-14-2005, 05:48 PM
He likes to fold. Give him the chances to do so, and value bet his ass like crazy.

Respect his raises.

Eeegah
07-14-2005, 05:51 PM
Looks to me like a typical fish to me who's running hot. We beat him by seeking him out in ring games and snatching that seventy bucks when his cards run cold /images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS: Value bet his ass every river when you have anything approaching a hand.

Edit: ^^^ sup ass-value-betting buddy

deception5
07-14-2005, 05:57 PM
This player is a classic weak/tight. Will fold to any aggression so feel free to bluff any flop especially if you were the preflop raiser. Fold all but your best hands to any show of strength (4 checkraises in 2k hands!) and watch out if he raises preflop.

joda mas
07-14-2005, 05:59 PM
In LP, don't raise light trying to buy the button (when he's on your left). He likes to cold call.

Lots of value bets and raises.

deception5
07-14-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looks to me like a typical fish to me who's running hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not running hot.

btspider
07-14-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This player is a classic weak/tight. Will fold to any aggression so feel free to bluff any flop especially if you were the preflop raiser. Fold all but your best hands to any show of strength (4 checkraises in 2k hands!) and watch out if he raises preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

weak-tights have higher AF's since they fold so much. this guy makes plenty of calls.

btspider
07-14-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Looks to me like a typical fish to me who's running hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not running hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

7 BB/100 is definitely running hot.

deception5
07-14-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
7 BB/100 is definitely running hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, missed that. I looked at the W$SD and figured they were normal for a weak/tight.

Eeegah
07-14-2005, 07:58 PM
How about we try one from the other end of the spectrum. Here's an über-TAG:
http://www.ethelthefrog.net/sa/tag-1.png
http://www.ethelthefrog.net/sa/tag-2.png

Keep in mind that the high AF might be an artifact of his tightness, but after seeing 40-odd flops it's fair to say he doesn't have much of a call button. Is there any way we can take advantage of some perhaps overblown machismo?

grjr
07-14-2005, 09:13 PM
Looks to me like this guy is pretty straightforward. Most of the hands he plays he had raised preflop. Then on the flop he either bets when he hit the flop (or had a pair) or folds if he missed the flop.

So if you call a preflop raise from him and he checks the flop you bet with anything and he will fold.

I like having these guys in the blinds because you can steal from them relentlessly. If he calls your steal then you pop one on the flop and if he calls you're done with the hand. Not much guesswork involved.

dozer
07-14-2005, 11:39 PM
just make sure you always have position on him and play a solid game with no bluffing and you will have his money eventually.

joda mas
07-15-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like having these guys in the blinds because you can steal from them relentlessly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. He also folds so much that if he's 1 or 2 to your left, he will surrender his button to you a lot.

SteveM
07-15-2005, 02:21 AM
Thanks for the responses. Pretty straightforward stuff and your conclusions were similar to mine, so that felt good, too. Upon further digging, I saw that the guy plays any 2 suited, Any A + >7, any 2 broadway. He only raises pf with JJ+ and only CRs with the nuts. This should be helpful later.

Now for the update. I played a few hundred hands against him tonight on Party and pwned his ass to the tune of 0.3BB/100. Obviously all the time I spent studying up in him today has paid off handsomly. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Oh well, at least the rest of the table was more generous.

Thanks again for participating.

Dave G.
07-15-2005, 06:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How do we beat this guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sit at the same table as him.