PDA

View Full Version : Wirless Router

Iamafish
07-14-2005, 05:36 PM
Im building a new computer and having it all the way on the other side of the house. A wired connection wouldn't work unless it was run through the kitchen and all.

Does anyone here use a wirless router? Any great recomendations? Im having huge trouble picking the router and adapter. Reviews say it drops connection to much, others say its awsome...???

Thanks.

HRFats
07-14-2005, 05:53 PM
I use a wireless router throughout the house and even on the front and back porch. It's a D-LINK 802.11G card. My house is 3,000 sf plus another 1,000 finished in the basement. The router is as close to the middle of the house as possible and on the main floor.

axioma
07-14-2005, 06:33 PM
i had bad results with wirless, but my house is over 3 floors, router on bottom, PC on top.

it didnt work very well.

o0mr_bill0o
07-14-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I use a wireless router throughout the house and even on the front and back porch. It's a D-LINK 802.11G card. My house is 3,000 sf plus another 1,000 finished in the basement. The router is as close to the middle of the house as possible and on the main floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I love wireless. D-link is the way to go IMHO. It's pretty cheap and quite reliable. I've had two netgear routers and I thought they were total pieces of shite.

07-14-2005, 06:47 PM

A_Junglen
07-14-2005, 08:05 PM
I've never had any problems with my Motorola Wireless router.

My friend occasionally has his connection lost when he receives phone calls (2.4ghz cordless phone), and you may also have the same problem when your microwave is being used. He has a D-Link.

I've never had any sort of drop-outs with my Motorola one. I recommend it.

Timer
07-14-2005, 08:18 PM
I just got DSL. On the desktop in one part of the house it is wired in, and I go here [Speakeasy (http://)] often to check out my upload/download speed. I'm signed up for 256, but the highest speeds I've ever recorded are 215/211.

But the laptop in the other part of the house constantly gets disconnected--especially when playing online. When I brought the laptop over by the desktop there weren't any problems, so obviously it is a wireless issue.

I currently have the 256 speed, but I'm wondering if upgrading to the 1.5M speed will make any difference. If that will help, I'll do it in a heartbeat, but I don't really need it otherwise. I also upgraded the firmware, but I have no idea what else to do.

Are there such things as boosters or adapters to increase signal strength. I don't have a router unless it is built into the DSL modem that the phone company recommended and provided.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Iamafish
07-14-2005, 09:11 PM
Thanks.

And you all play poker wirless right? Im planning on moving up to 8 tables, so this is extremely important. lol.

Question - So when you do get connection dropped, do all your tables say, connecting or w/e, and then the router comes back up, or must everything be turned off and back on and a buncha BS?

AAAA
07-16-2005, 10:18 AM
The person who replaced our Belkin wireless router with a Two Wire brands router said that it is a lot better, but a lot more expensive too. Mine is about 18 months old, and i would never libe without wireless. I move my laptop all around the house on a cart.

J. Sawyer
07-16-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a Linksys Wireless router wt54g (i think) is the model number and a gigabyte wireles card in my desktop. I share my internet connection with my parents who live next door and So my signal travels through about 3 walls and 35 ft of outdoor space. I have very few connection or speed problems. I also have a linksys wireless card in my laptop which works well. So from my experience I would say if the computer is in the same house the linksys router should work great.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also have a linksys wireless router.. I'm too lazy to go check the model number. But it works fine. I have a wireless network card in my PC, its kinda hard to get the software to work right on XP and ive had alot of trouble w/ that end of it. Other than that it is really reliable and i hardly ever lose signal, ALthought i would prefer good old cat5 /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

itsmarty
07-16-2005, 12:24 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In Antwort auf:</font><hr />
When I brought the laptop over by the desktop there weren't any problems, so obviously it is a wireless issue. I currently have the 256 speed, but I'm wondering if upgrading to the 1.5M speed will make any difference. If that will help, I'll do it in a heartbeat, but I don't really need it otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Upgrading your DSL speed won't help with wireless issues. Only changing/moving your wireless router will help with that, or possibly getting a signal booster.

Martin

wdbaker
07-16-2005, 02:40 PM
Hi All,
Anyone know what to do when you have 5 or 6 wireless access points running in homes nearby, when they fire up my reception goes crazy like it can't decide which one to settle on ???

Yes I've googled this with little result, I don't think they had figured it would be a problem, wish there was some way to deflect the other signals. I'm about to drop some cat5...

Wrap my head in tinfoil, yeah that's it, I'm on it right now... /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

One Street at a Time
wdbaker Denver, Co

Ro-me-ro
07-16-2005, 06:28 PM
I also use the Linksys WRT54G - never had a single issue with it... even the setup pages are self explanetory.

Ellis

beernutz
07-16-2005, 07:16 PM
I don't know what kind of environment you are in but you might want to consider using at least 128bit WEP and MAC Filtering on the wireless router. I also have a D-Link and it is extremely easy to set this up. Oh, and set a secure password for the router's configuration utility.

TobDog
07-16-2005, 10:37 PM
I am assuming you have wireless in your house as well? You should go into wireless Network connections-&gt;change advanced settings-&gt;highlightinternet protocol (tcp/ip)-&gt;click wireless networks tab-&gt;remove the neighbors networks from your prefered networks list, you may want to go into properties -&gt; connections tab before that and uncheck "connect when this network is in range" It should not automatically connect.

tobdog

VJ_
07-16-2005, 10:55 PM
Try changing the wireless channel number, in settings somewhere.

Timer
07-17-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Try changing the wireless channel number, in settings somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this four times, and the fourth time it seemed to work. After spending some time on the phone with my modem tech guy, we first re inputed all of the settings for both computers, disabled the anti-virus and firewall, changed the channel, and then tried again.

According to him, the reason for the disconnects has something to do with interference on the line. Either high tension power lines, a microwave oven, cordless phones, or any appliance giving off radiation. I told him that none of that applied to me except for the microwave, which was 30 feet away from the modem.

He said that of the eleven possible channels at least one should give me a good continuous stream--it's just a matter of finding it. I started with channel 9, then 1, then 6 and finally 11. I had no disconnects last night on channel 11 with four games up and three or four web pages open. Apparently the higher numbered channels are the stronger ones, but I'm not positive about that.

Of course, this may only be temporary, but hopefully it will solve the problem. The connection stream isn't steady, it fluctuates between 1 and 24 Mbps, but previously I always got disconnected within ten minutes of getting into a game. My upload/download speeds seem to be higher and more consistent also. Last night there were no disconnects at all.

He also said that if this channel doesn't work that I should try each and every channel until I find one that does. If none are satisfactory then call back and they can go from there and try a few other things.

We'll see what happens.