PDA

View Full Version : re-steal against a habitual ante stealin-bandit 5/10 high

bholdr
07-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Greenage, if you happen to read this, the hand converter isn't working for me, can't figure out why.

Anywhoo, this guy on my right has been stealing a lot of antes, and this is the first hand that i defended against his shenanigans... 5/10 high only:

I am in last position and hold [Q/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif] 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif

The bring in has the 2/images/graemlins/club.gif (the only dead club- all my aces and queens are live)

it folds around to the stealer, who is on my right with the 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif showing. he completes the bet to $5, and i raise him to $10, he calls

I catch the 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, while he gets a duece, he checks, i bet...

good move? this guy is stealing way too much, which is no good with him on my right, and i thought i needed to make a move and show him what's up ASAP, as this was a pretty good game and i intended to play for awhile- good spot? i was going to call if he raised, and probably fire again on fifth if he called, but he folded it and didn't try another steal for a couple dozen hands, so i suppose it worked. thoughts?

BeerMoney
07-14-2005, 05:05 PM
I like it.. I usually wait for at least a pair. Others on here are gonna say wait for a better spot.

vintage_sara
07-15-2005, 12:01 AM
that is exactly what I would say...wait until you have a better spot.

Bartholow
07-15-2005, 02:29 PM
This is ok only if he really just steals indiscriminately.

In a tight ante game, the idea that you want to slow him down (or as you said "which is no good with him on my right, and i thought i needed to make a move and show him what's up ASAP") is probably wrong. You want him to steal so you can trap him.

CJC
07-15-2005, 02:35 PM
as a very rare play I am ok with it. ( I am going to assume you can play the later streets correctly ) I would be more ok with it if I were the bring-in and knew I was last.

Remember this is a tightly structered $5-10 game, it isn't as necessary to try and defend AS MUCH. ( not saying never )

CJ

jon_1van
07-15-2005, 02:47 PM
I'm not a big fan of this. I used to get pretty damn overaggressive when I thought someone was stealing too much. I think it was a pretty big leak.

Now, if I choose to defend with a hand such as this I'll wait till later to throw in the raises. I have almost altogther quit caring about these kind of steals. If I don't have anything....I don't care. If have a nice stuff under I'm might call and see if I can snag a high pair and then just allow him to continue bluffing me.

bholdr
07-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Generally speaking, i love to have an over-aggressive donk on my right, but at this table, the players seemed to be going way too far with weak hands, and when there wasn't a completion on third, there were often four or five players in a pot. I felt that this is the kind of table where i could make quite a bit by limping with marginal cards and trying to catch perfect...

would this factor into your thoughts on weather or not to aggressively shut down the stealer? maybe i could have profited more just by lettig him bet into me too much. He tended to let his steals go to a strong show of aggression, so i decided to try to shut him down.

i know i should probably wait for better spots, but in this specific situation, i was pretty somn sure it was a steal. maybe wait for a stronger pcard? thoughts? thanks.