PDA

View Full Version : Bet/Fold on the river gets *ACCIDEDNTLY* owned in a big pot.

odawg09090
07-14-2005, 04:02 PM
I hated making the river fold, but I was pretty sure he had at least a King with the preflop 3-bet. Did I get too greedy by betting the river? And should I have made the crying call? I just started playing with this guy so I have no reads.

Party Poker (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks. Villian bets, Hero raises, villian calls.

Turn: Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets, villian calls

River: 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets, Villian raises, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 10.5 BBs

Results in White!
<font color="white"> Villian showed 9,9 for a made set on the river. I have no idea why he raised it. I will only call if I have him beat and his hand has tremendous SD value. Little did he know he bluffed me out of the winning pot. /images/graemlins/confused.gif </font>

baronzeus
07-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Bet fold here is fine, but this guy straight outplayed you.

Entity
07-14-2005, 04:04 PM
The action is all screwed up, but I can tell you for certain that I can count the number of times I've folded a set for one bet on the river on an amputee's hands.

Rob

Entity
07-14-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless he has an excellent read that his opponent is incredibly passive, I hate bet-folding hands like these.

Rob

Surfbullet
07-14-2005, 04:13 PM
bet folding a set on a board like this HU = bad.

Surf

Victor
07-14-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

just to reiterate. bet/fold is absolutely not fine in any way here.

GetThere1Time
07-14-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless he has an excellent read that his opponent is incredibly passive, I hate bet-folding hands like these.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Rob on this one. I might be losing a lot here but with no read I'm paying this off all day. There are guys that'll raise this river with worse hands than a set of 10s enough of the time to call one more bet in a big pot.

baronzeus
07-14-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

just to reiterate. bet/fold is absolutely not fine in any way here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. My mistake.

mungpo
07-14-2005, 04:23 PM
Villian would have capped the flop with KJ and reraised you on the turn if he had KA, KQ, KK. The only hand I see him having is KT, but that is unlikely.

donger
07-14-2005, 06:00 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that doing a lot of bet-folding is bad? It seems like even morons are going to pick up on this and throw in extra bets occasionally with worse hands. In situations like this, they only have to be doing it occasionally to make folding incorrect.

In general, by using a bet/fold line, you're risking losing a large pot to try to eke a fraction of a BB of value out of a hand. You need a totally air-tight read to make this play, and even then, it's very marginal.

GetThere1Time
07-14-2005, 06:34 PM
Bet/folding is usually a good play in a lot of situations. The most common is against a passive player who surely isnt going to raise you without a monster hand. Sure you find the occasional goofball who you think's passive and then tries some wacky bluff, but the money you make value betting will exceed the money you lose when you bet/fold against these players, even when you occasionally fold the best hand. But I think you're right to a degree. Doing it too often is pretty bad, especially against a lot of the players you find at 5/10 and I'd imagine the same would go for higher limits though I have no experience to back it up.