PDA

View Full Version : How Far To Go Against a LAG?

GTSamIAm
07-14-2005, 03:46 PM
Against a loose player here: 86 VPIP, 0.86 aggression, 7 PFR. From the hands I'd seen him in, I thought he was a lag until I saw his aggression stats. Only about 50 hands, but it's enough to see that he's really loose. How much money should I put in on the turn and river? On the flop, I put him on a pair or flush draw, so I slowed down on the turn and river.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB

@bsolute_luck
07-14-2005, 03:53 PM
i'd play it the same against a LAG

MrWookie47
07-14-2005, 03:54 PM
Looks good. I'm going to the felt if I boat up.

mmmmmbrother
07-14-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looks good. I'm going to the felt if I boat up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sir Bruce
07-14-2005, 03:56 PM
I think your line is good. The /images/graemlins/heart.gif is scary enough to call down after his 3-bet. Capping would cost you a bet if he still bet into you on the river, which is reasonably likely given the action. Plus, you can probably go to war with him on the river if you make a boat.

evans075
07-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Looks good. I'm thinking your are behind on the flop to the LAG's lone Jack or two pair(J6 or J3). The turn 3-bet leads me to believe that he has two pair. Sice there is a chance that the LAG has hit a flush on the turn the River call to me is pretty standard.

arsixsixwy
07-14-2005, 04:01 PM
I'm not sure why you necessarily put him on a flush draw. Absent the PokerTracker numbers in the heat of battle, I would tend to think he has a set of sixes or treys. Two pair is also a possibility here, if the guy is loose. After seeing his aggression numbers, it's quite unlikely he's betting a flush draw here and so you just about always have him beat on the turn. I'm generally in favor of capping the turn. Call the river if he still bets into you -- folding is bad -- but bet if he checks to you.

Very important question: Do you have a reason for putting him on a flush draw? Perhaps the way he played a flush draw previously?

GTSamIAm
07-14-2005, 04:39 PM
He was playing like a lag the past few hands he's been in. Honestly, the PT numbers surprised me.

BTW, quoting the PT numbers doesn't accurately give you an idea whether he has a flush or not. Since his aggression numbers are low, he would normally only 3-bet a flush on the turn.

arsixsixwy
07-14-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, quoting the PT numbers doesn't accurately give you an idea whether he has a flush or not. Since his aggression numbers are low, he would normally only 3-bet a flush on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, fine, but what would he 3-bet on the flop? With such a low aggression, I don't tend to think that he's betting draws all that much.

GTSamIAm
07-14-2005, 04:50 PM
Quoting the aggression numbers the way you did leads to no logical conclusion. I think the best conclusion is that he does not have a two pair or set or flush using the numbers. The flop, turn, and aggression stats do not all fit together. They all contradict each other. Therefore, he must be trying to make a very badly timed play. If he has the flush draw, he wouldn't 3-bet the flop. If he has a two pair or set, he wouldn't 3-bet the turn. He has no logical hand, so you conclude he is making a play.

MrWookie47
07-14-2005, 04:57 PM
You know, I think I'm a wimp. I think I cap the turn. I think his range of hands is wider than a flush once he 3bets (lower set, 2 pair, AJ). Not many players 3bet a flush draw on the flop HU. If you cap and he leads into you on the river, I'm torn between calling and raising and calling a 3bet.

Redd
07-14-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You know, I think I'm a wimp. I think I cap the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does capping the turn make you a wimp? I'd cap the turn here too; between villain's total hand range and the chance of boating up, IMO there's a decent amount of value in a turn cap.

I also just wanted to add that this AF with an 86% VPIP isn't that passive; IMO there's a pretty wide range of hands he could have here.

MrWookie47
07-14-2005, 07:39 PM
Capping the turn isn't wimpy. My previous response where I said calling the 3bet was good was wimpy. Sorry about the lack of clarity.

Rev. Good Will
07-14-2005, 07:43 PM
aggression factor is a function of your VPIP, .97 is VERY high for 87% VPIP

I'm back into being laggy, I might want to throw in an extra raise, but not run the risk of getting re-raised again, I think a turn cap would be perfect.

Kumubou
07-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Am I the only one that goes full-throttle once I spike my set? All you can eat baby!

I guess it just depends on how maniacal he is. If he is a 'smart LAG', then slowing down may be a good idea. If he really is batshit insane (the type to bluff-cap because he holds two cards not purple horseshoes), then ram-jam until you beat him into submission.

-K