PDA

View Full Version : A real addict in a 30/60 game last night

hotsauce615
07-14-2005, 03:10 PM
I feel sometimes like people with severe gambling problems are playing online. I watched one guy drop 15,000 in about 15 minutes in a 30/60 game I was observing out of curiousity, im still a 1/2 player. For you high rolling guys do you often see people who just walk in and throw their money away? This guy wasn't even going in on strong hands, just low pairs or one way straight draws.

LIRob23
07-14-2005, 03:14 PM

IndieMatty
07-14-2005, 03:16 PM
What he said. I've never seen something AS ridiculous as that. But there's still plenty of spewing maniacs.

hotsauce615
07-14-2005, 03:21 PM
It was pretty wild, and it was my first time observing a higher limit game. All I can say is one guy went up about 10Gs on this guy alone. Talk about a winrate of like 700$ an minute, thats more than like A-ROD makes

primetime32
07-14-2005, 03:26 PM
One guy dropped 1,956 dollars (pokertrackers stats) in a short period at a NL 200 table i was at the other day. He just kept reloading and losing. It felt like christmas, and i'm not even a christian.

the funny part was that one guy at the table was actually losing money to that player and then that player would turn around and dump all of the money to the rest of us.

I left the table up 2,300 which was about 1,600 more than my previous high at this limit.

Jeffage
07-14-2005, 03:35 PM
High limit poker (and all limits for that matter) is greased by compulsive gamblers (or people with big control problems). It's nice to live in a fairytale land where you think everyone is just a sporting person wanting to match wits with one another using only money they can afford to lose. But the bottom line is, poker can be an ugly, destructive game for some people. That's life. I have no problem taking these people's money...when they sit at a table, they are (by default) after my cash. I want to send them home broke. Away from the table, if someone out of control wanted my help, I would tell them they should stop. At the table, I want to get in every extra bet I can against them.

Jeff

grinin
07-14-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I left the table

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume your house was on fire because if your wife was just having a baby you should have said

"can't you just hold it a little longer darling?"

evans075
07-14-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I left the table

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume your house was on fire because if your wife was just having a baby you should have said

[/ QUOTE ]

NH

MrStretchie
07-14-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
High limit poker (and all limits for that matter) is greased by compulsive gamblers (or people with big control problems). It's nice to live in a fairytale land where you think everyone is just a sporting person wanting to match wits with one another using only money they can afford to lose. But the bottom line is, poker can be an ugly, destructive game for some people. That's life. I have no problem taking these people's money...when they sit at a table, they are (by default) after my cash. I want to send them home broke. Away from the table, if someone out of control wanted my help, I would tell them they should stop. At the table, I want to get in every extra bet I can against them.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been thinking about donating a portion of my winnings to GA. The idea being that that way I keep money I won from rich dudes who like to splash money around and from lesser winning players, but take the addicts' money and spend it on something that might help them.
(Just in case Mr. Literal reads this, I'm not going to try and separate the money I win from specific players. Just pick a percentage. )

phish
07-14-2005, 04:34 PM
I don't think it's possible to lose 15k in 15 minutes playing 30/60 at one table. Are you exaggerating there somewhere?

ryanvick
07-14-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I've been thinking about donating a portion of my winnings to GA. The idea being that that way I keep money I won from rich dudes who like to splash money around and from lesser winning players, but take the addicts' money and spend it on something that might help them.
(Just in case Mr. Literal reads this, I'm not going to try and separate the money I win from specific players. Just pick a percentage. )

[/ QUOTE ]

Very interesting idea, while your individual efforts would be great and very generous, I think an even better solution would be for the major 4 sites (more maybe)to all give some % of their profits to GA and other organizations. Obviously this isn't in their best interests but would be along the lines of alcohol producers sponsoring drunk driving commercials... prob. won't happen though as they regulate themselves and they are concerned with making money. But there is no denying the fact that many lives have been ruined through internet poker (although i guess compulsive gamblers would find other means to destruct). But if the heads of these companies were morally conscience then I think this would be a legit and very responsible action.

bobbyi
07-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Just because someone had a big losing session and/ or plays badly does not necessarily mean that he is a compulsive gambler. Of course, some people are, but I don't think you should assume that based on how people play. Some people play for fun and are willing to blow money and some people just aren't very good. Not everyone wants to treat poker like a job and try to play "correctly". Some just like to gamble for fun. That does not automatically make them addcits.

I also don't really see why the stakes are relevant. You are saying that if he were in a 3/6 game this would be fine, but playing the same way in a 30/60 game makes him an addict? Why? Different people have different means and want to play at different stakes. Just because you may not be in a situation where you would be comfortable playing middle limits doesn't mean everyone should have to play .50/1.

Killer Man's Son
07-14-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's possible to lose 15k in 15 minutes playing 30/60 at one table. Are you exaggerating there somewhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

This does strike me as a little over the top. Figure he capped every street and played every hand. Capping each street would cost $720 a hand. Figure a deal rate of 60 hds/hr. 15 min = 15 hands * $720 per hand = $10800. And that assumes he didn't win anything in 15 minutes. Was it HU or something?

thrillhouse7
07-14-2005, 05:07 PM
GA will not accept your donation. This is their 7th tradition "Every Gamblers Anonymous Group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions."

MrStretchie
07-14-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
GA will not accept your donation. This is their 7th tradition "Every Gamblers Anonymous Group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions."

[/ QUOTE ]

OK.. how? Do you have to pay to attend?

Turning Stone Pro
07-14-2005, 05:14 PM
J. Smails

MaxPower
07-14-2005, 05:29 PM
Next time please PM me the table number /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

sthief09
07-14-2005, 06:06 PM
this is a gross exaggeration, as not only is losing 250 BB in 15 hands hard to believe, but it's literally impossible to lose 17 bets per hand

hotsauce615
07-14-2005, 06:10 PM
yea i exaggerated slightly, i said in LIKE 15 minutes. It was probably more like 25ish at the time. When I'm playing games and listening to music minutes up and down seem irrelevant. I wish i had screens, I was just amazed at how much this guy lost in this span of time. He was capping like everything he got, regardless of what it was, and since the moeny went to mostly other people you can't suspect any kind of chip dumping. I wouldn't make the situation up though lol, doesn't really serve in my interest.

thrillhouse7
07-14-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK.. how? Do you have to pay to attend?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Third tradition: "The only requirement for Gamblers Anonymous membership is a desire to stop gambling." Any money GA uses/gets comes from members. Members are not required to give.

sthief09
07-14-2005, 08:08 PM
sorry if I'm being a nit but that's still impossible

vilemerchant
07-14-2005, 08:59 PM
So I guess maybe the solution is to JOIN gamblers anonymous. Then you can donate to them and attend the meetings and this time it will even be ok to berate the fish /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bobbyi
07-14-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK.. how?

[/ QUOTE ]
Bingo night.

smoore
07-15-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Third tradition: "The only requirement for Gamblers Anonymous membership is a desire to stop gambling."

[/ QUOTE ]

I should join... I really need to learn how to lay down a four flush when the pot isn't giving me odds.

Mason Hellmuth
07-15-2005, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK.. how?

[/ QUOTE ]
Bingo night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well done.

Sadly, this wouldn't surprise me.

KKbluff
07-15-2005, 02:56 AM
These people are out there.

Back when the crypto bonuses were still worth playing poker for I was at a $100 NL table where this person went all in EVERY SINGLE HAND .
He lost close to $2000 before he left the table.
I have never won so much in such a short time, and i have never seen this person again.
Maybe this guy was rich and had some money to burn, maybe he was a gambling addict, who knows...
It felt good to be up more in one hour that i would normally be up in a week, but I felt a little sorry for (if this is the case) a person who cannot control himself while gambling...

pzhon
07-15-2005, 03:57 AM
Someone dropped about 90 pounds, 55 to me, in under an hour of £1-£2. See this hand (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2830122&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&vc=1).

I worry less about these folks than I do about people who lose more slowly. I don't think someone who loses at 55 BB/100 can tell himself he is a winner. He knows. He doesn't expect to cash any money out, ever.

I know many people who know they are losing gamblers and are ok with it. Some have money to burn. Some don't, but make sure that the money they lose stays within a budget. These people are often educated and successful in other parts of life. Don't feel guilty about taking their money. Just be thankful they haven't decided to become good at gambling.

vilemerchant
07-15-2005, 04:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I know many people who know they are losing gamblers and are ok with it. Some have money to burn. Some don't, but make sure that the money they lose stays within a budget. These people are often educated and successful in other parts of life. Don't feel guilty about taking their money. Just be thankful they haven't decided to become good at gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly right. Some people I know waste thousands of dollars hotting up their cars, or buying hundreds of DVDs. Others might enjoy (or at least not be bothered about) pissing it away in an online poker game on a friday night.

Instead of ranting and raving at the tables and calling these people morons like some players I actually look up to these guys. They're quite obviously more successful in life than a degenerate bonuswhore/low limit parasite like myself!

punter11235
07-15-2005, 05:14 AM
hmm... I believe I was at that exact table with you /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Best wishes

memphis57
07-15-2005, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I left the table

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NH

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, assuming he was a true 2+2er, the wife had already left in a cab, the other side of the house had been burning for 30 minutes and the wet towel he was breathing through was soot covered, but he finally had to quit when the firemen disconnected the power main.

Jim Kuhn
07-15-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

NH

Actually, assuming he was a true 2+2er, the wife had already left in a cab, the other side of the house had been burning for 30 minutes and the wet towel he was breathing through was soot covered, but he finally had to quit when the firemen disconnected the power main, and his UPS ran out of power.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Wabby
07-15-2005, 09:18 PM
Hilarious /images/graemlins/cool.gif

MrStretchie
07-19-2005, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Third tradition: "The only requirement for Gamblers Anonymous membership is a desire to stop gambling."

[/ QUOTE ]

I should join... I really need to learn how to lay down a four flush when the pot isn't giving me odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhat humorous. Of course, gambling with odds is still gambling..

stigmata
07-19-2005, 05:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very interesting idea, while your individual efforts would be great and very generous, I think an even better solution would be for the major 4 sites (more maybe)to all give some % of their profits to GA and other organizations. Obviously this isn't in their best interests but would be along the lines of alcohol producers sponsoring drunk driving commercials... prob. won't happen though as they regulate themselves and they are concerned with making money. But there is no denying the fact that many lives have been ruined through internet poker (although i guess compulsive gamblers would find other means to destruct). But if the heads of these companies were morally conscience then I think this would be a legit and very responsible action.

[/ QUOTE ]

My idea is that Party etc. have a "Tip the dealer button", the proceeds of which go to charity -- perhaps 1/3 goes to gambling addiction research, 1/3 to a gambling help line, and the last 1/3 to a "current" charity such as tsunami relief or debt relief etc.

I think alot of people (myself included) would be inclined to drop a decent sum of money in it after having a nice upswing. It would also be good if the poker site could match some of what you deposit, but I doubt they would do this.

I think the idea would reflect very well on the site, and online gambling as a whole. Just imagine if they could say in a press release "Our poker site and players helped generate $5,000,000 for charity this year alone".